Sponsored

Stalled M/T, would not restart

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
Just picked up my manual Rubi yesterday from the dealership and was tasked with driving away from their highly-visible designated delivery area. I put away some of the paperwork, adjusted the mirrors and proceeded to try to start the Jeep - unsuccessfully at first.

Attempt 1: Clutch in; tap Start-button.... no dice
Attempt 2: Clutch in, other foot on brake pedal; tap start button.... no dice
Attempt 3: Cycle button to off, open and close door to start fresh; Repeat Step 2 and get a "Grr"
Last attempt: HOLD the Start button down until it starts

I presume HOLDING the button is a manual-only thing??? All of the push-button cars I've had were a simple tap on the START button - even my Manual trans 2015 Golf TDI cranks itself with just a tap???

A Jeep thing?
Sponsored

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
Yes you have to hold it down. This the first push bottom vehicle I’ve ever had so I don’t have much experience. Now my wife’s Honda Pilot on the other hand just needs a tap to start it but it’s an auto of course.

It might also be a requirement due to the abilility to “clutchless” start in 4 low

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
If Jeep is going to make manual transmissions as electronics-sensitive as the automatics, maybe I’ll just stick to TJs. I could buy a TJ every year for less than a JL would run me, hmm.

OP
OP
dwoodwo1

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
Hill start is not an issue - it does not roll back significantly, even on a steep incline.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Myself and another guy were berated on another thread a few months back when we mentioned we preferred the traditional key to the push button start. Reason being it was proven technology that was reliable. Everyone said the traditional turn key still activates electronics to the starter so the push button was no different. While that might be true, maybe I am just old school I still like the turn key. Hope this is just something that takes a short adjustment period and that the push button works as dependably however not off to a great start.

No I’m not a hater, an no JK, TJ, YJ, whatever was not the last great Jeep ever made. I love 99% of the improvements in the JL. I do however wish for the turn key back.

Sponsored

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Had an odd thing happen - I stalled the car out inching into my garage. Clutch in, brake engaged, the button would not restart the car. Did everything I could think of to try to restart it. Pressed and released clutch multiple times, cycled through off/acc/start multiple times, nothing. Only thing I could do to start it was put it in reverse, let it roll down my driveway, and pop the clutch. Has not happened to me again since, but the other two times I stalled it prior to that, no issues.

Any thoughts?
I have had this happen as well. I have been unable to recreate the issue. When it occured, pressing the start button would not cycle through the off, acc and run presets.

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just picked up my manual Rubi yesterday from the dealership and was tasked with driving away from their highly-visible designated delivery area. I put away some of the paperwork, adjusted the mirrors and proceeded to try to start the Jeep - unsuccessfully at first.

Attempt 1: Clutch in; tap Start-button.... no dice
Attempt 2: Clutch in, other foot on brake pedal; tap start button.... no dice
Attempt 3: Cycle button to off, open and close door to start fresh; Repeat Step 2 and get a "Grr"
Last attempt: HOLD the Start button down until it starts

I presume HOLDING the button is a manual-only thing??? All of the push-button cars I've had were a simple tap on the START button - even my Manual trans 2015 Golf TDI cranks itself with just a tap???

A Jeep thing?
This is good to know, I ordered a M/T and test drove one but they brought it around for me and it was already started. I did test drive an auto as well and got to start it and it was just a quick tap of the button

VinnyV2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 6 speed
For clarity here, I had this happen to me once but have also had it NOT happen many times (so no problem). I am up to 1,000 miles so far, and you do have to hold the start button in on the m/t model until it is running. -Usually I never stall, my clutch skills were rusty!

Last edited:

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Everyone said the traditional turn key still activates electronics to the starter so the push button was no different.
Yeah - I had this happen to me a couple of times with my '07 JK, and that had a 'traditional' key. All the key did was hit the electronic switch which decides if it wants to start or not. Sometimes it decides 'not' wither it's a button or a key. Putting a key in the JL would not have changed this particular outcome any more than putting flip-up headlights on it would have.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Thanks for this info! I have a manual JLUR coming and would not have been happy not being able to start it up once they hand me the keys!

Sponsored

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
Myself and another guy were berated on another thread a few months back when we mentioned we preferred the traditional key to the push button start. Reason being it was proven technology that was reliable. Everyone said the traditional turn key still activates electronics to the starter so the push button was no different. While that might be true, maybe I am just old school I still like the turn key. Hope this is just something that takes a short adjustment period and that the push button works as dependably however not off to a great start.

No I’m not a hater, an no JK, TJ, YJ, whatever was not the last great Jeep ever made. I love 99% of the improvements in the JL. I do however wish for the turn key back.
I vaguely remember that assault. I vote we start an old-geezers club with all of us as charter members. The good news is that I can still learn new tricks.... but its definitely a finite number of them. Last several cars have been push-button start and it took a while to teach me that just a tap would suffice. (Kids always on my case if I did more than a tap.) Shiat, I finally got it down....and now the Jeep wants me to un-learn that habit. Now the 'ol brain has to remember the process for each car! Not as dangerous for me, however, as lane departure warning. My wife had a Benz with this feature. If you signaled to change lanes and if there was a car there, damn thing would beep. Cool enough. My brain can adapt to that. Beep = don't change and no-beep means it's OK. No problem! Until you jump in similar car.... without this feature. Then, no beep DOESN'T MEAN it's all clear. LOL LOL OK, I DO look, but just trying to a little humorous when looking at the seemingly growing number of non-standardized features. Rant over. I like the Jeep!

matchews

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Mine has done this exact same thing 3 times now. I'm ashamed to admit that I have stalled it around 8 times thus far (a number of these were in deep snow. How is that for an excuse?). Out of the 8 stalls, 5 times it fired right back up. The other 3 required me to release the brake, push the start button so it would turn off. It then started up 3 for 3. Before I cycle the transmission, I tried everything and it refused to start (clutch in and out, shifter in and out of gear, parking break on and off. I even took a video of this for proof. I mentioned this to the dealer and they told me there is a service bulletin on this behavior and it is programmed to cycle the vehicle off before it will restart. I told them that it doesn't always require this. It seems like if you hit the start button within a second of it stalling, it will restart. Wait any longer any you have to cycle the ignition off. I told them this is crazy programming when considering the scenario of stalling in an intersection or some other scenario that requires you to get moving quickly. Hopefully this gets fixed in an update. Other than this (intentional) programming bug, I love my manual!

OP
OP
dwoodwo1

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
I’m not trying to dump on the manual, it truly is fantastic. In no way should this minor issue push someone away from going with one over the automatic. It seems to be a rare occurrence, but I just found it odd.

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
I think the hill assistant take some time to get used to. It might be the root cause for you to stall on a hill. Here is my logic, if you stall the engine on a hill, obviously not enough gas in this situation. With hill assistant on, you actually need to give even more gas to get it rolling. I didn't like the feature, so I turned it off during normal drive. I do think it is a good idea to turn it on for offroad use!
I actually stalled a couple times as well. All happened in the morning when I forget the car was parked in 1st gear. I didn't experience any issue to restart, it always just fire right back up when I hold the start button.
Sponsored