st time Brand New Wrangler buyer ~ 2020 or 2021 JLU Willys Sport

pdspeh69

First Name
Pd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 WJ Rocky Mountain
1st time Wrangler buyer ~ 2020 or 2021 JLU Willys Sport ?
I am new here - I have been other forums and have had a few Jeeps over the years 1982 FSJ Cherokee lareado , 1983 J-10 pioneer, 1985 Grand Wagneer, 2000 XJ Classic. Currently, I have a 2004 Jeep WJ - 2nd owner - original family owned with only 80k - I have had it since 2012 48k.

Love it but I really would like something New and I have landed on the Wrangler JLU Willys Sport 6 speed with only the tow package as an option. that's it bare bones. $37,085
I only drive 3k per year so I might have it a while - it will mostly only see the pavement and tow my small 2850lb boat/motor/trailer.

So my question is
do I order a 2020 or wait for the 2021? - I heard that the Select Trac transfer case will be offered in many more models. worth waiting? when do they start taking orders for 2021?

any input appreciated

if you drive a 6 speed how do You like it ? there are not 6 speeds to test in my arwar - just test drove a 2020 Rubicon @ $58K this am. it was the only one they had with 6miles on it. I put moved it to 8miles.. loved it loved the window box feel of driving it - like a fish bowl.

this will be my 1st new car purchased / order ever. i have had 17 vehicles and never a new one. I am beyond excited.

Can I have it built with deleting the decals? or without the OWL tires? no dealers are answering these questions. Has anyone done this ? or have the OWL mounted in?

Thanks
pd
Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Welcome - don't believe you can order a 2020 any more, you'd have to go with existing (or in-transit) dealer stock. In my area 2-doors are in short supply but there seem to be a fair amount of 4-doors.

Lots of ordering/etc info here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/ordering-pricing-production-tracking.7/

Haven't driven the manual as I gave them up back in 2011 after a particularly grueling LA commute session. The 8-spd auto in the Wrangler is quite good and I've got the 3.6 V6 which should be a very reliable motor. Others have the 2.0T which seems fine. Diesel is relatively new and a mixed bag.

For the tires should be able to just have them removed and flipped but should/could write that into the deal. Jeep dealerships are all over the map wrt attitude and service so if you don't get a warm fuzzy from one, find another. Or buy out of state and use a dealer that people like here.

OP
OP
pdspeh69

pdspeh69

First Name
Pd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 WJ Rocky Mountain
Welcome - don't believe you can order a 2020 any more, you'd have to go with existing (or in-transit) dealer stock. In my area 2-doors are in short supply but there seem to be a fair amount of 4-doors.

Lots of ordering/etc info here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/ordering-pricing-production-tracking.7/

Haven't driven the manual as I gave them up back in 2011 after a particularly grueling LA commute session. The 8-spd auto in the Wrangler is quite good and I've got the 3.6 V6 which should be a very reliable motor. Others have the 2.0T which seems fine. Diesel is relatively new and a mixed bag.

For the tires should be able to just have them removed and flipped but should/could write that into the deal. Jeep dealerships are all over the map wrt attitude and service so if you don't get a warm fuzzy from one, find another. Or buy out of state and use a dealer that people like here.
Thanks looks like 2021 it is then - I can not find my combo in current inventory within 150 miles. Sarge Green in my color choice.
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely take that into consideration about seeking a dealer n another state as so ar its been pretty bad in my area, I just need to find the right person. I know a guy in Mass but its a hike for sure.

Forestdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6 Speed
I have a 2020 JLUR 6 speed. I wanted the manual and had to cast a wide net to find a 6 speed rubicon. The 6 speed is a good transmission. I cruise at around 2000 rpm at 70 and usually get 20 mpg on the highway. Off road the Rubicon's 4.10 gear ratio is a good match for the 6 speed and you also get a better crawl ratio in 4lo with the manual.

I don't know how familiar you are with manuals but i find the Wrangler's very easy to drive, the clutch engagement point is more of a button than a ease into it style on other transmissions. Its hard to explain but basically its an easy transmission to drive. Knock on wood but i haven't stalled it yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
pdspeh69

pdspeh69

First Name
Pd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 WJ Rocky Mountain
I have a 2020 JLUR 6 speed. I wanted the manual and had to cast a wide net to find a 6 speed rubicon. The 6 speed is a good transmission. I cruise at around 2000 rpm at 70 and usually get 20 mpg on the highway. Off road the Rubicon's 4.10 gear ratio is a good match for the 6 speed and you also get a better crawl ratio in 4lo with the manual.

I don't know how familiar you are with manuals but i find the Wrangler's very easy to drive, the clutch engagement point is more of a button than a ease into it style on other transmissions. Its hard to explain but basically its an easy transmission to drive. Knock on wood but i haven't stalled it yet.
Thanks for the review on the 6 speed. I have owned several 5 speeds in the past 78 rabbit, 82 saab 900 turbo, 81 Lancia Beta Zagato, 83 Subara GL, 85 toyota tercel 4dr, 85 Dodge shelby Charger, 86 Merc Capri RS 5.0, 85 Saab turbo w/92 SPG motor , 97 Mitsu Galant, 81 Honda accord. I drive my auto with my hand on the shifter..so I think its time to get back to shifting. I am almost never in traffic so it makes sense for my driving pleasure. I really miss it. I have had more manuals than autos.

looks like I will be ordering it fro,m the factory. 8-12 weeks..ugh

the willys is 3.54 really wish it had the 3.73s

thanks again
pd

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
1st time Wrangler buyer ~ 2020 or 2021 JLU Willys Sport ?
I am new here - I have been other forums and have had a few Jeeps over the years 1982 FSJ Cherokee lareado , 1983 J-10 pioneer, 1985 Grand Wagneer, 2000 XJ Classic. Currently, I have a 2004 Jeep WJ - 2nd owner - original family owned with only 80k - I have had it since 2012 48k.

Love it but I really would like something New and I have landed on the Wrangler JLU Willys Sport 6 speed with only the tow package as an option. that's it bare bones. $37,085
I only drive 3k per year so I might have it a while - it will mostly only see the pavement and tow my small 2850lb boat/motor/trailer.

So my question is
do I order a 2020 or wait for the 2021? - I heard that the Select Trac transfer case will be offered in many more models. worth waiting? when do they start taking orders for 2021?

any input appreciated

if you drive a 6 speed how do You like it ? there are not 6 speeds to test in my arwar - just test drove a 2020 Rubicon @ $58K this am. it was the only one they had with 6miles on it. I put moved it to 8miles.. loved it loved the window box feel of driving it - like a fish bowl.

this will be my 1st new car purchased / order ever. i have had 17 vehicles and never a new one. I am beyond excited.

Can I have it built with deleting the decals? or without the OWL tires? no dealers are answering these questions. Has anyone done this ? or have the OWL mounted in?

Thanks
pd
You may already be aware of this but keep in mind the basic Willys sport still has manual door locks and windows. Also no AC, but can be added to a 2021 model as an option. I am contemplating a 2 door version with tow and AC. Manual locks and windows on a 2 door wouldn't be much of an issue, but on a 4 door it could be an inconvenience for some.

In case you haven't seen this, here is a link to the latest 4 door order guide. It will give you an idea of pricing and options for the 2021s.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/4-door-8-6-20-pdf.357053/

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Base sport unlimited comes with ac standard. Stupid how it comes standard on one but not the other.

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Base sport unlimited comes with ac standard. Stupid how it comes standard on one but not the other.
Interesting. I have only been looking at the 2 door options. Evidently the price difference between the 2 door and 4 door warrants AC as standard on 4 doors.

Sponsored

OP
OP
pdspeh69

pdspeh69

First Name
Pd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 WJ Rocky Mountain
GerJL
Thanks - I am aware it all manual. I am going manual on everything - the last time I had a 4 door all hand crank window vehicle was 30 yrs ago. but You could not take the roof or the doors off - HA - fair trade. That is odd about the AC as an option on the 2 door I guess if some are just wheeling it they don't want the AC.

pd