First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Medical Student
What amp are you guys using to power the stealthbox? From my experience using those boxes in the past, it needs a powered external amp to be of any real use. I wouldn't rely on the oem amp (or god forbid the HU) of the jeep.
Sorry havent been on in a while. So I use the jl audio marine 5 channel amp. Also the problem is fixed and it actually feels like I have a subwoofer now. The issue was it wasn’t tuned properly. Way too much power to the mids and not enough power to the sub. The noise I thought was vibration was actually the mids being over powered. Its now crisp and the sub is hitting pretty good now.
Sponsored

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
I have had no luck with the sound bar upgrade to 6.5" speakers.

8.4" premium Alpine system with Infinity 6.5" coaxial speaker:
Wired to the 4" is muffled low output like its a ultra low power sub
Wired to the 3.5" high is barely an upgrade as a result of not getting the full range
Not sure you can actually bridge 2 high power speaker outputs, but gave it a go as seems to worked for some, but nope you get crackling at any decent power output.

Trying to avoid aftermarket amp setup given I find the front stage with upgraded speakers on the alpine amp isn't that bad.

Anyone with the premium audio system actually find an improvement?
Component speakers hooked up individually to each line?

===Update===
Return my coaxial speakers and got components. Didn't run the included crossover (as it only takes 1 speaker feed), hooked up the tweeter and midrange/woofer separately and SQ improved significantly. Blends well with the front now. Volume isn't going to get there without aftermarket amp, but the Alpine 8.4 amp is acceptable given its feeding each speaker.

Last edited:

jollycj

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jolly
I have had no luck with the sound bar upgrade to 6.5" speakers.

8.4" premium Alpine system with Infinity 6.5" coaxial speaker:
Wired to the 4" is muffled low output like its a ultra low power sub
Wired to the 3.5" high is barely an upgrade as a result of not getting the full range
Not sure you can actually bridge 2 high power speaker outputs, but gave it a go as seems to worked for some, but nope you get crackling at any decent power output.

Trying to avoid aftermarket amp setup given I find the front stage with upgraded speakers on the alpine amp isn't that bad.

Anyone with the premium audio system actually find an improvement?
Component speakers hooked up individually to each line?
interested in the responses. I bought the MB Quart 6x9 bracket. In the TSB they mention a new connector for the 3.5 connector for better response and also recommend an amp as an option. It’s unclear to me what signal is sent to the sound bar. Maybe component is better or just replacing with better 3.5’s and 4’s. Hope others can comment.

https://mbquart.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/09/MBQuart-JC1-169SB-TSB.pdf

Technical Service Bulletin

Question: Why do my Jeep Sound bar (JC1-169SB) speakers only play bass?

Answer: The OEM jeep audio system sends low-pass signal to the JC1-169SB speakers, only allowing them to play low frequencies via the originally provided speaker connector.

Solution: By connecting the JC1-169SB to the OEM 3.5in speaker, the JC1-169SB speaker will be allowed to play a fuller range signal. The adapter harnesses (pictured below) for this conversion is available, please contact [email protected] or call us directly at 847- 540-7700 EXT 161 to have these adapters sent to you.

The Best Solution: For the best sound quality possible it is recommended to use a summing module and an amplifier to provide the JC1-169SB speakers with pure full range signal. Such as in the MBQJ-STG6A-1 complete audio kit for OEM radio.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
interested in the responses. I bought the MB Quart 6x9 bracket. In the TSB they mention a new connector for the 3.5 connector for better response and also recommend an amp as an option. It’s unclear to me what signal is sent to the sound bar. Maybe component is better or just replacing with better 3.5’s and 4’s. Hope others can comment.

https://mbquart.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/09/MBQuart-JC1-169SB-TSB.pdf

Technical Service Bulletin

Question: Why do my Jeep Sound bar (JC1-169SB) speakers only play bass?

Answer: The OEM jeep audio system sends low-pass signal to the JC1-169SB speakers, only allowing them to play low frequencies via the originally provided speaker connector.

Solution: By connecting the JC1-169SB to the OEM 3.5in speaker, the JC1-169SB speaker will be allowed to play a fuller range signal. The adapter harnesses (pictured below) for this conversion is available, please contact [email protected] or call us directly at 847- 540-7700 EXT 161 to have these adapters sent to you.

The Best Solution: For the best sound quality possible it is recommended to use a summing module and an amplifier to provide the JC1-169SB speakers with pure full range signal. Such as in the MBQJ-STG6A-1 complete audio kit for OEM radio.
The MBQJ-STG6A-1 kit comes with a PAC Audio Ampro, 2 new amps (one for the SB and one for the font dash/knees) new wiring and new speakers. It by-passes the OEM signal or you can still use it with the OEM sub or add new subs or both. With the kit, your new wires tie into the soundbar from the ampro and does not use the OEM signal. My MB Quart 6x9's sound great with the kit amps and signal from the Ampro. The wiring harness from the ampro by-passes the OEM signal, therefore you don't need an adapter for the 3.5" and 4" SB speaker wire plug with the kit.

I think the TSB adapter maybe needed when the OEM signal is not by-passed and using the existing wires and signal from the OEM system. Meaning not using the PAC audio ampro or aftermarket amp. I hope this helps!

Last edited:

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU(sold) 2021 JLURD
I just emailed MB Quart to see if this plug will work on Alpine Premium systems. As some of you may know, you can bridge the low and high pass plugs together on base systems to get a nice full range output. But if you try this on the Alpine system you get crackling and popping when you turn up the volume past 8 or 10. I am hoping they may have something wired inline so it works?

Right now there is no solution. I tried hooking up the low pass to the woofer and high pass to the tweeter and it sounds bad. On the factory setup, the woofer is just that, basically a mini-sub, and the "tweeter" is a midrange/tweeter. So if you try to replicate this with a component set, you rely on the tweeter to produce your midrange and it just doesn't work and will probably damage your tweeter sending it those 500Hz mids. Or you can use supplied tweeter high pass with this method to protect your tweeters, but then you have lows and high and no mids, this sounds the worst.

The only other solution is if the crossover function is in the wiring like on the base system. Then we could just cut it out and get a full range signal. I think a lot of us assume it is handled by the amp, but not sure if there is any evidence of that.

Sponsored

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Response from MBQ:

No, it just changes to a connection to the 3.5 in speaker instead of the 4 in speaker. You never want to connect the 2 of them together that would lead to a damaged OEM amplifier quickly.

Sincerely,
David Lee
Technical Support
Maxxsonics, USA

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I just emailed MB Quart to see if this plug will work on Alpine Premium systems. As some of you may know, you can bridge the low and high pass plugs together on base systems to get a nice full range output. But if you try this on the Alpine system you get crackling and popping when you turn up the volume past 8 or 10. I am hoping they may have something wired inline so it works?

Right now there is no solution. I tried hooking up the low pass to the woofer and high pass to the tweeter and it sounds bad. On the factory setup, the woofer is just that, basically a mini-sub, and the "tweeter" is a midrange/tweeter. So if you try to replicate this with a component set, you rely on the tweeter to produce your midrange and it just doesn't work and will probably damage your tweeter sending it those 500Hz mids. Or you can use supplied tweeter high pass with this method to protect your tweeters, but then you have lows and high and no mids, this sounds the worst.

The only other solution is if the crossover function is in the wiring like on the base system. Then we could just cut it out and get a full range signal. I think a lot of us assume it is handled by the amp, but not sure if there is any evidence of that.
There is no crossover in the wiring of the base system, identical signals are on both connectors on each side. There is no advantage to combining these connectors.

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no crossover in the wiring of the base system, identical signals are on both connectors on each side. There is no advantage to combining these connectors.
Gotcha, I thought there were frequency blocking capacitors in those black tubes where they split the lines.

I kept reading people say how the base system rear sounds so much better if you bridge them so I figured it was due to hi and lo channel. So if both plugs are the same and they come from the same 2-wires then bridging should make ZERO difference since it is not actually doing anything. Hmmm.

I can't believe they would send the same signal to the woofer and the tweeter. Unless they have caps on the speakers.

jollycj

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jolly
Gotcha, I thought there were frequency blocking capacitors in those black tubes where they split the lines.

I kept reading people say how the base system rear sounds so much better if you bridge them so I figured it was due to hi and lo channel. So if both plugs are the same and they come from the same 2-wires then bridging should make ZERO difference since it is not actually doing anything. Hmmm.

I can't believe they would send the same signal to the woofer and the tweeter. Unless they have caps on the speakers.
Good to know on the base system its the same signal sent to both the 3.5 and 4 inch speakers. I thought it was split like you mentioned.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Caps are for blocking lower frequencies, there's one on the 3.5'', none needed on the 4''.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean, I don't want to say I don't believe you, but the post that started this thread is someone with the base system saying that with one plug it didn't sound right and he bridged the two plugs together and it finally sounded good. There was someone else that said on the base system they hooked up the 4" plug and there was only bass playing from their new speaker, then they bridged the 2 plugs and had full range. I don't have the base system so it doesn't concern me. I just find it odd.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean, I don't want to say I don't believe you, but the post that started this thread is someone with the base system saying that with one plug it didn't sound right and he bridged the two plugs together and it finally sounded good. There was someone else that said on the base system they hooked up the 4" plug and there was only bass playing from their new speaker, then they bridged the 2 plugs and had full range. I don't have the base system so it doesn't concern me. I just find it odd.
Well you posted in this thread https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ness-7in-connect-tear-down.86786/post-1809108 that clearly shows only spliced wires in the sound bar with no electronics, so do you believe your own eyes?

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I don't know what's under those shrink wrap tubes, at first glance I though they were some sort of caps. I am probably wrong and the caps are on the speaker maybe?
Sponsored