Sponsored

SSV Works Soundbar 6.5" speaker adapter installed

Molson123123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
I have the same 7" non-Alpine head unit. I don't recall whether the amp, on its own, is pure plug 'n play, as the system I am currently using it in came with harnesses that made mine plug 'n play. Check with Crutchfield; they may have a harness that makes installation of this amp plug 'n play.

And remember, while increasing power to the stock head unit will help, upgrading speakers and adding a sub woofer is really necessary to get greatly improved sound. You don't have to do all the speakers; just upgrading the dash tweeters to get better highs (which is a 10 minute swap) and adding a sub to boost bass lows will make a great difference when combined with the KTP amp.
You can get a harness from here:
https://www.pacparts.com/library/model.cfm?mfg=Alpine&model_id=PSS23WRA&action=list_part&back=0
It’s actually for the amp as well as the alpine under seat sub (comes packaged as PSS23 WRA for the sub and amp and harnesses). I’m not sure whether the harness can be used just for the amp, but if so, this is as “plug and play” as you’ll ever get.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
emgeesea said:
I have the same 7" non-Alpine head unit. I don't recall whether the amp, on its own, is pure plug 'n play, as the system I am currently using it in came with harnesses that made mine plug 'n play. Check with Crutchfield; they may have a harness that makes installation of this amp plug 'n play.

And remember, while increasing power to the stock head unit will help, upgrading speakers and adding a sub woofer is really necessary to get greatly improved sound. You don't have to do all the speakers; just upgrading the dash tweeters to get better highs (which is a 10 minute swap) and adding a sub to boost bass lows will make a great difference when combined with the KTP amp.
Thanks! I'll have to check that out with Crutchfield. I've already installed better top dash speakers (Mopar apparently made an upgraded speaker for a sound system featured in a Dodge model that fits the JL). I've also obviously replaced the soundbar speakers with 6.5" from SSV. Additionally, I have a powered subwoofer installed under the passenger seat... So, if I can just boost the power of the head unit a bit, I think I'll be really good to go (pretty happy as is- but with the doors and top off it could use a little extra punch).

Thanks again... Of course, in researching the KTP amp, I came across infotainment.com which sells a kit that upgrades the head unit to the 8.5" (if there's an available harness, may have to do both together).

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I'll have to check that out with Crutchfield. I've already installed better top dash speakers (Mopar apparently made an upgraded speaker for a sound system featured in a Dodge model that fits the JL). I've also obviously replaced the soundbar speakers with 6.5" from SSV. Additionally, I have a powered subwoofer installed under the passenger seat... So, if I can just boost the power of the head unit a bit, I think I'll be really good to go (pretty happy as is- but with the doors and top off it could use a little extra punch).

Thanks again... Of course, in researching the KTP amp, I came across infotainment.com which sells a kit that upgrades the head unit to the 8.5" (if there's an available harness, may have to do both together).
Sounds like you have all of the necessary upgrades in place except for the amp. 8 years ago I self-installed a KTP-445U in my old JK, and it was not hard, even without a harness. Crutchfield should give you all of the instructions you need to do the wiring yourself to your OEM 7" head unit.

The 8.4" would be a sweet upgrade, but $$$, no?

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
emgeesea said:
Sounds like you have all of the necessary upgrades in place except for the amp. 8 years ago I self-installed a KTP-445U in my old JK, and it was not hard, even without a harness. Crutchfield should give you all of the instructions you need to do the wiring yourself to your OEM 7" head unit.

The 8.4" would be a sweet upgrade, but $$$, no?
Terrific- I'm really "amped" (sorry, that was bad) to try this out. I'll probably just call Crutchfield today and order the KTP-445U and harness (hoping the harness is sold separately- I've only been able to find it as part of the subwoofer/445U kit). If/when I upgrade to the 8.5", it seems the connectors are identical- so it should be a simple swap.

The 8.5" head unit and bezel is $1,599 at infotainment, so it isn't cheap- but the 7" head unit that came in my JLR has some glitches (and my dealer seems clueless when it comes to issues with the radio), and I'm hoping a change in head unit will resolve the glitches as well. My stock radio doesn't remember my phone when I turn off the Jeep, when I return from trips the head unit takes a day to realize I'm back in Dallas- it resets my Googlemap app to the wrong area, and it also forgets the iPod is installed in the glovebox (have to unplug and replug it every time I want to use it).

(Plus, the 8.5" is just sweet looking- and someone has to keep spending money to keep the economy moving ;^).

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Terrific- I'm really "amped" (sorry, that was bad) to try this out. I'll probably just call Crutchfield today and order the KTP-445U and harness (hoping the harness is sold separately- I've only been able to find it as part of the subwoofer/445U kit). If/when I upgrade to the 8.5", it seems the connectors are identical- so it should be a simple swap.

The 8.5" head unit and bezel is $1,599 at infotainment, so it isn't cheap- but the 7" head unit that came in my JLR has some glitches (and my dealer seems clueless when it comes to issues with the radio), and I'm hoping a change in head unit will resolve the glitches as well. My stock radio doesn't remember my phone when I turn off the Jeep, when I return from trips the head unit takes a day to realize I'm back in Dallas- it resets my Googlemap app to the wrong area, and it also forgets the iPod is installed in the glovebox (have to unplug and replug it every time I want to use it).

(Plus, the 8.5" is just sweet looking- and someone has to keep spending money to keep the economy moving ;^).
Good luck with the KTP install. Crutchfield has been a solid source for me over the years. Hopefully, they'll get you everything you need to make the upgrade simple. If you do ever upgrade to the 8.4" let me know what you think of it.

Sponsored

debandi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep Rubicon
Thanks for starting this thread! I will be doing this sound bar upgrade next week. Thanks for all the great information!!!!!!

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase

By the way, in your build, did you opt for the trailer tow package and Alpine

BTW - you might try contacting FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) directly about your radio issues. Let them know your dealer has been no help; they might authorize the dealer to swap your radio for a new 7" unit, as it may just be a bad unit.

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Marc- thanks for the link!
Crutchfield does not sell the harness as a separate part, but they gave me the number to Alpine. Alpine sent me to Pacparts (who directed me to the link you had originally sent me). I completely missed the harness right there on the bottom of the page.

The harness part number is 820SVV90ZUD-WKUQV, and it can be purchased as a replacement part for Alpine's upgrade kit. I wasn't sure if I needed it, but I also ordered the RCA adapter cables (part number 820SVV90ZUD-UFDDGSW)- I hate ripping into a project only to find I don't have all the parts I need!

Then I went back to Crutchfield and ordered the KTP-445U. I am REALLY looking forward to getting the parts and getting this installed. I have a feeling I will then be done with the audio portion of my build!

I did get the trailer tow package (even if I didn't have something to tow, I would have ordered it for the 4 Aux switches that come with the package- one of my favorite features, and I already have all four switches filled). I did not get the Alpine system, but if the 445U does what I think it will I think I will have the level of audio I need to be very happy. My understanding is there is no separate amp in the system I have- the amp is in the head unit.

Regarding contacting FCA, it took a lot for me to go into the dealer and mention this as a problem (I really hate confrontation), and it was really discouraging to find how little the dealership knew about the sound system in general. Regarding the way it screws up GoogleMaps, the tech said "Yeah, we've had a number of people complain about that-there's no fix, it's just a glitch in the Android Autoplay." I've read through enough threads on the subject to know that's not true, but I just gave up at that point. The head unit performs just well enough that I just live with it (for now, but Santa is going to have that 8.5" head unit upgrade on his list from me this year :^). I will say even with the glitches AutoPlay works better than the SYNC system that came in my Mustang a few years ago (that thing was so awful it inspired me to trade the car in about a year earlier than I probably would have otherwise).

I'll be writing up an install post for the KTP-445U, and will send you a PM with a link to it- thanks again for mentioning what seems to be a perfect solution!

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Crutchfield does not sell the harness as a separate part, but they gave me the number to Alpine. Alpine sent me to Pacparts (who directed me to the link you had originally sent me). I completely missed the harness right there on the bottom of the page.

The harness part number is 820SVV90ZUD-WKUQV, and it can be purchased as a replacement part for Alpine's upgrade kit. I wasn't sure if I needed it, but I also ordered the RCA adapter cables (part number 820SVV90ZUD-UFDDGSW)- I hate ripping into a project only to find I don't have all the parts I need!

Then I went back to Crutchfield and ordered the KTP-445U. I am REALLY looking forward to getting the parts and getting this installed. I have a feeling I will then be done with the audio portion of my build!

I did get the trailer tow package (even if I didn't have something to tow, I would have ordered it for the 4 Aux switches that come with the package- one of my favorite features, and I already have all four switches filled). I did not get the Alpine system, but if the 445U does what I think it will I think I will have the level of audio I need to be very happy. My understanding is there is no separate amp in the system I have- the amp is in the head unit.

Regarding contacting FCA, it took a lot for me to go into the dealer and mention this as a problem (I really hate confrontation), and it was really discouraging to find how little the dealership knew about the sound system in general. Regarding the way it screws up GoogleMaps, the tech said "Yeah, we've had a number of people complain about that-there's no fix, it's just a glitch in the Android Autoplay." I've read through enough threads on the subject to know that's not true, but I just gave up at that point. The head unit performs just well enough that I just live with it (for now, but Santa is going to have that 8.5" head unit upgrade on his list from me this year :^). I will say even with the glitches AutoPlay works better than the SYNC system that came in my Mustang a few years ago (that thing was so awful it inspired me to trade the car in about a year earlier than I probably would have otherwise).

I'll be writing up an install post for the KTP-445U, and will send you a PM with a link to it- thanks again for mentioning what seems to be a perfect solution!
I'll have to check out Pacparts. Good to know they provide these harnesses.

I think you'll be very happy with the KTP. One thing I'm working on with mine this week is getting the gain adjustments just right. I've been learning about how to do this, and think it may make my sound even better, although it is already pretty good. When I installed, I used the suggested gain settings that Alpine provides, but I'm guessing those could be tweaked a bit for each specific application, especially since I upgraded my rear speakers. You might want to check these settings as well when you install the KTP. And I would install it in a space where you can easily access it to make any adjustments, like behind the glove box. When I installed a KTP in my old JK 8 years ago, I mounted it with 3M HD mounting strips (not velcro, but the plastic ones that snap together) right behind and above the glove box. This is a great location because (1) it's very easy to remove the glove box for access, and (2) it's close to the head unit, so running the wiring is a breeze. Having it there enabled me to easily pop it out and make any adjustments to the switches whenever I wanted. You just want to be sure the glove box can still close with the amp mounted, as the JL may be different than the JK. -fyi

I don't know why I asked you whether you had ordered the Alpine system. I think that was meant for another guy I've been dialoging with who just ordered a new JL and was asking some questions! The tow package was a great choice. I wish mine had it, but I bought off the lot, so no choice. I did install a tow hitch and wiring right away, but sure would have liked to have those switches. Maybe a future project.

Let me know how it goes. Looking forward to hearing how you like the KTP.

Oh, and you are correct, there is no separate amp with the OEM head unit. It has it's own power, usually no more than 10-25 watts/channel, so the 45 that the KTP will give you will make a significant difference.

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase

I forgot - those wheels look great! Love the red centers!

Sponsored

Maverick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I'll have to check out Pacparts. Good to know they provide these harnesses.

I think you'll be very happy with the KTP. One thing I'm working on with mine this week is getting the gain adjustments just right. I've been learning about how to do this, and think it may make my sound even better, although it is already pretty good. When I installed, I used the suggested gain settings that Alpine provides, but I'm guessing those could be tweaked a bit for each specific application, especially since I upgraded my rear speakers. You might want to check these settings as well when you install the KTP. And I would install it in a space where you can easily access it to make any adjustments, like behind the glove box. When I installed a KTP in my old JK 8 years ago, I mounted it with 3M HD mounting strips (not velcro, but the plastic ones that snap together) right behind and above the glove box. This is a great location because (1) it's very easy to remove the glove box for access, and (2) it's close to the head unit, so running the wiring is a breeze. Having it there enabled me to easily pop it out and make any adjustments to the switches whenever I wanted. You just want to be sure the glove box can still close with the amp mounted, as the JL may be different than the JK. -fyi

I don't know why I asked you whether you had ordered the Alpine system. I think that was meant for another guy I've been dialoging with who just ordered a new JL and was asking some questions! The tow package was a great choice. I wish mine had it, but I bought off the lot, so no choice. I did install a tow hitch and wiring right away, but sure would have liked to have those switches. Maybe a future project.

Let me know how it goes. Looking forward to hearing how you like the KTP.

Oh, and you are correct, there is no separate amp with the OEM head unit. It has it's own power, usually no more than 10-25 watts/channel, so the 45 that the KTP will give you will make a significant difference.
I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the KTP unit. I have already upgraded my 3" speakers but want a little more 'punch'. So was thinking about doing the KTP and an underseat powered sub. You like the KTP?

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the KTP unit. I have already upgraded my 3" speakers but want a little more 'punch'. So was thinking about doing the KTP and an underseat powered sub. You like the KTP?
I like the KTP quite a bit. It is the second one I've installed in a Wrangler (I put one in my JK 8 years ago). And every online review I have read rates it highly as well.

I wrote up a review of the Alpine PSS-23WRA system yesterday that might be helpful. This system includes a KTP-445U amp, 8" sub woofer and high fidelity dash tweeters to greatly improve the factory sound system in the JL. Give it a read: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-system-upgrade-review-and-suggestions.51148/

I am quite happy with this system. Lots of punch, and a clean, factory-like install due to the supplied plug 'n play harnesses and under seat mounting bracket. I did decide to replace the component speakers in the sound bar (roll bar) with 6.5" coaxials using the SVV Works adapter, but that's not necessarily needed. I wanted better "fill" quality sound from these speakers, and the OEM components just weren't cutting it. That said, most of the sound comes from the front of the JL, so many people might find the factory components in the sound bar just fine after adding an amp and sub.

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I like the KTP quite a bit. It is the second one I've installed in a Wrangler (I put one in my JK 8 years ago). And every online review I have read rates it highly as well.

I wrote up a review of the Alpine PSS-23WRA system yesterday that might be helpful. This system includes a KTP-445U amp, 8" sub woofer and high fidelity dash tweeters to greatly improve the factory sound system in the JL. Give it a read: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-system-upgrade-review-and-suggestions.51148/

I am quite happy with this system. Lots of punch, and a clean, factory-like install due to the supplied plug 'n play harnesses and under seat mounting bracket. I did decide to replace the component speakers in the sound bar (roll bar) with 6.5" coaxials using the SVV Works adapter, but that's not necessarily needed. I wanted better "fill" quality sound from these speakers, and the OEM components just weren't cutting it. That said, most of the sound comes from the front of the JL, so many people might find the factory components in the sound bar just fine after adding an amp and sub.
One other thing: you really need an amp (and a sub) to significantly improve the sound. The factory head unit, as with virtually every factory radio, does not have enough power to provide the punch you're looking for. Replacing speakers is a good start, but you'll get the real lift by providing better power to those speakers with an amp.

Maverick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
One other thing: you really need an amp (and a sub) to significantly improve the sound. The factory head unit, as with virtually every factory radio, does not have enough power to provide the punch you're looking for. Replacing speakers is a good start, but you'll get the real lift by providing better power to those speakers with an amp.
So i was thinking about buying the KTP and the wiring harnesses but maybe a different brand subwoofer. $300 for the Alpine sub seems pretty steep. There are other units for sale with similar specs for $180-200.

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
So i was thinking about buying the KTP and the wiring harnesses but maybe a different brand subwoofer. $300 for the Alpine sub seems pretty steep. There are other units for sale with similar specs for $180-200.
You could do that, but I'm guessing the harness may not work with a different amp. Also, the under seat mounting brackets are a sweet addition because (1) they fit perfectly into the space under the JL seat, and (2) they mount the PWE sub with the speaker facing down and with a couple of inches of air space to the floor. I've read that mounting a sub in this way, versus just having it sit on the floor facing up, improves the sound dispersement.

For me, I think the extra money is worth the spend to have a factory-like installation. But, that's me. And remember, same specs do not always equal same performance. the Alpine PWE is a highly-rated sub woofer. It may be superior to other subs with similar specs. I don't know this for a fact, and I'm no expert, though, so you should certainly do what makes sense for your $$$.
Sponsored