Sponsored

Squirrley Steering after Major Upgrade?!

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Working on the jeeps this weekend trying to clear up some death wobble. Added a bunch go new stuff and now the jeep drives worse! Any suggestions?!

Added to the front end:
RCV Axles
Dynatrac HD Ball Joints
Reid Steering Knuckles (with flipped drag link)

The Jeep's steering feels more squirrley! Every little bump gets a lot of play on the steering wheel. Not sure if the death wobble is there or not yet. to nervous to take it to high speeds.

Any thoughts on what could be causing that?

Thanks!!
Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Did you check the torque on the track bar, control arms? Did you torque the drag link and tie rod correctly?

Did you flip the drag link at the knuckle? If so, why?

Lift height, type, and tire size? How long has the lift and tires been installed? Did you put in aftermarket tie rod and drag link? What’s your caster angle?

OP
OP
Ryanfold

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Control Arms and Track bar were torqued before to spec. Didn't not recheck them after this, but they were not touched.

Drag link and Tie Rod were torqued to 50lb each. (per this site's specs list)

Drag Link is now flipped, yes. I got the knuckle made for a flip to avoid bump steer/correct geometry.

3" Lift. 38in Tires. All suspension parts are Synergy. (Drag, Tie, Springs, Track) Antilock Sway Bar Too

Castor Angle might be too high. I think it's around 7*. I upped it farther then stock to help correct for some death wobble.

Thanks!
r

Did you check the torque on the track bar, control arms? Did you torque the drag link and tie rod correctly?

Did you flip the drag link at the knuckle? If so, why?

Lift height, type, and tire size? How long has the lift and tires been installed? Did you put in aftermarket tie rod and drag link? What’s your caster angle?

OP
OP
Ryanfold

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
haven't had a chance to take it to an alignment shop yet. damn Mondays. I know my castor is a bit high (7* ish). I did that to help with some old stability issues. didnt thing that would cause this much issue though.

Got an alignment readout we can look at? Curious what your caster angle is.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Control Arms and Track bar were torqued before to spec. Didn't not recheck them after this, but they were not touched.

Drag link and Tie Rod were torqued to 50lb each. (per this site's specs list)

Drag Link is now flipped, yes. I got the knuckle made for a flip to avoid bump steer/correct geometry.

3" Lift. 38in Tires. All suspension parts are Synergy. (Drag, Tie, Springs, Track) Antilock Sway Bar Too

Castor Angle might be too high. I think it's around 7*. I upped it farther then stock to help correct for some death wobble.

Thanks!
r
What stabilizer you running, and did you raise the track bar on axle side so it’s parallel with flipped drag link ?

OP
OP
Ryanfold

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Fox 2.0 Though rod. fairly new.

no, synergy track bar is still in it's stock spot.

What stabilizer you running, and did you raise the track bar on axle side so it’s parallel with flipped drag link ?

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would start with raising your front trackbar. The drag link and track bar will work against each other if their not close to the same angle.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Is fox adjustable ? And pic of drag link and track bar ?

I think since your track bar and drag link aren’t on the same plane you’re experiencing bump steer…..

levi.butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR & 2021 JLUR
New ball joints can feel 'tight'. Like, the steering doesn't want to come back to center on it's own. It's a strange feeling. If you hit a bump in the road and it turns your wheels a bit, you have to intentionally turn the steering wheel back to center. It's an odd feeling and will eventually go away (or, maybe your brain just stops noticing it! HAHA!).

Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link

Track bar and drag link must be parallel. Or you’ll have issues.

As for the flip? I’ve only seen recommendations to do that if lifted over 4” on the JL Jeep. But a raised track bar bracket on the axle to get them in line with each other might help.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I’d second this. The drag link and trac bar should be parallel. You’ll get bump steer just like that when they’re not the same.
Can you try the lower drag link mount on the knuckle still?

OP
OP
Ryanfold

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Falcon!

I heard a flip was good for 3in+ maybe I should check that again.

Ok, well that explains a lot! Thanks. I'm going to buy the synergy track bar raising bracket ASAP.

Track bar and drag link must be parallel. Or you’ll have issues.

As for the flip? I’ve only seen recommendations to do that if lifted over 4” on the JL Jeep. But a raised track bar bracket on the axle to get them in line with each other might help.

OP
OP
Ryanfold

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks MikeM. We have Consensus. appreciate the time.

I’d second this. The drag link and trac bar should be parallel. You’ll get bump steer just like that when they’re not the same.
Can you try the lower drag link mount on the knuckle still?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Flipping the drag link on a JL is almost never necessary. You really opened a can of worms by doing this. You will now have major interference with the frame for up travel on the passenger side. You got some bad advice. While raising the track bar mount will fix your drivability issues, I highly recommend putting the drag link back in the factory location. How much off-roading do you do? With only 3” of lift you’ll have very little up travel with a flipped drag link.
Sponsored