Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
All these things make me wonder, I live rural alone on mountainside, one vehicle and can't have that in the shop. I want my ordered JLUR, but trading in an almost 3yo Tacoma TRD Pro with which no problems, only visits to service dept. for regular services of miles/time.
You should follow the NC ROLL CALL thread (see below). We post anytime we hit the trails. Uwharie and Windrock are the main ones.
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I traced the noise to the brake booster area, which makes sense. Stop gorilla mashing the brake when you start and it will go away forever. Just press down lightly enough for the engine to start, takes a little practice to get the right pressure but once you do the noise goes away.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I traced the noise to the brake booster area, which makes sense. Stop gorilla mashing the brake when you start and it will go away forever. Just press down lightly enough for the engine to start, takes a little practice to get the right pressure but once you do the noise goes away.
Second that. I forgot to mention that I noticed if you just barely push the brake pedal it doesn't do it.

Keekeemonster

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Hi everyone! I just purchased my JL two days ago (02/13/18) and everything was perfect with the vehicle until I noticed something today. When I pushed the start button (I had my driver door open) I heard a brief "squeal" noise coming from the car when it started up. This noise doesn't occur every single time I start the Jeep, but randomly. To elaborate, it's a brief squeal/squeak noise when I start the wrangler and there are no other issues. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and what could be causing this on a brand new vehicle (currently 287 miles).
Thanks

UPDATE: So currently it's been pouring raining all day and I find a leak coming from where the rearview mirror is attached. Honestly, I have no clue what to do at this point. First the squealing and now this. I'm waiting for the manager at my Jeep dealer to contact me back.

Keekeemonster

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Guys i have 2019 Rubicon and it squeaks (like a loose belt) when i start up not all the time. Now this is fourth trip to shop and the second shop hears it but cannot pinpoint what it is. Its been in shop for 5 days. Now i was in my daughters sport 2018 and it did same thing but it was the first time i heard hers do it.....whats going on???? i had someone tell me switch belts that it is the belt. Any ideas guys

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Take your freedom panels out, make sure the gaskets all look good and then put them back in. I had that happen to me at a car wash once. You may need to re-seat the panels.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Guys i have 2019 Rubicon and it squeaks (like a loose belt) when i start up not all the time. Now this is fourth trip to shop and the second shop hears it but cannot pinpoint what it is. Its been in shop for 5 days. Now i was in my daughters sport 2018 and it did same thing but it was the first time i heard hers do it.....whats going on???? i had someone tell me switch belts that it is the belt. Any ideas guys
It's not the belt and there is nothing to do, it's inherent to the design, it happens on all of them and even the Grand Cherokees. 5 days in the shop for this??? Find another dealer.
My dealer looked at it, went out to the lot and started a Grand Cherokee and it did the same thing. It has to do with the ESS system, which sucks anyway. Simply apply very light pressure to the brake pedal when you stat and that usually fixes it. Personally I'd get it back from the shop if they're taking 5 days to screw with something that is inherent who knows what else there jacking up.

Keekeemonster

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
It's not the belt and there is nothing to do, it's inherent to the design, it happens on all of them and even the Grand Cherokees. 5 days in the shop for this??? Find another dealer.
My dealer looked at it, went out to the lot and started a Grand Cherokee and it did the same thing. It has to do with the ESS system, which sucks anyway. Simply apply very light pressure to the brake pedal when you stat and that usually fixes it. Personally I'd get it back from the shop if they're taking 5 days to screw with something that is inherent who knows what else there jacking up.

Keekeemonster

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
yes i am worried about that also, but if its the ESS system WTH Jeep is going to do to fix it nothing? Just call it inherent? You shouldn't have to baby a jeep/and or/ listen to a squeak chirp or whistle starting up a 60000 dollar vehicle?????? JS

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
yes i am worried about that also, but if its the ESS system WTH Jeep is going to do to fix it nothing? Just call it inherent? You shouldn't have to baby a jeep/and or/ listen to a squeak chirp or whistle starting up a 60000 dollar vehicle?????? JS
Yeah, it's inherent to the design so they ain't doin' squat. One guy chased it down to the brake booster, hence light pressure on the pedal. Is what it is, you can go jump and down to Jeep Cares but it's pointless.

Sponsored

Keekeemonster

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
lol yeah well 60000 dollars says yes jump up and down to someone that's just not right. they created the problem it should be fixed

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
lol yeah well 60000 dollars says yes jump up and down to someone that's just not right. they created the problem it should be fixed
You do know that you can type under the quote instead of quoting someone then posting your response under that? :)

BTW... nothing is going to be resolved, deal with the squeak. They don't see it as a problem.

Keekeemonster

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
You do know that you can type under the quote instead of quoting someone then posting your response under that? :)

BTW... nothing is going to be resolved, deal with the squeak. They don't see it as a problem.
i thought i was doing that sorry well they changed a vacuum pump? not exactly sure i heard vacuum on phone but going get her today YEAH

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i thought i was doing that sorry well they changed a vacuum pump? not exactly sure i heard vacuum on phone but going get her today YEAH
Yeah they are talking about the vacuum that gets pulled to assists the brakes, essentially it's where "power brakes" came from. the old school cars had non power brakes and you really need to press on them. Why am I talking about the brakes? Because another poster said that he heard the noise come from over at the brake booster and the brake booster needs a vacuum hence that's where this is going.
Anyway, if I were a gambling man I'd bet you will still get the squeal eventually, please keep us posted to see how it goes.
Sponsored