Squeal when starting JL?! **UPDATE NEW PROBLEM**

Durango18

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge durango 2018 3.6 pentastar,and dodge durango 2007 5.7 hemi
Nope still there and as random as ever. Haven't disabled the ESS since then you get a little warning light on the dash, and my OCD will not allow that :) It would be interesting to see if some of the guys who have a Tazer and have disabled ESS are seeing this.
As you can see reading through the posts this isn't a "problem". The fact that your Durango did this is actually comforting because it shows it is inherent to the design, i.e. Durango, Cherokee and now the Wrangler have it.

@jchie21 nailed it with his video above. That is the sound exactly and sometimes it's a bit less abrupt and it's random.
I have moved on from this problem to some new ones! My tie rod and steering arm were both a little loose which is what they believe it causing the tires to feather. Tie rod will be in next week no ETA on steering arm.
AND... here's a zinger, check out my post on the phone ringing from my dashboard!!!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...a-phone-ring-coming-from-the-dashboard.14948/
Glad you moved onhope i can move on also
Sponsored

Durango18

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
**Update**
Got a call from the dealership,they said they recieved an email from the FCA stating that the squeal is a characteristic of the engine,I should be recieving a copy.
What a characteristic!!!

Durango18

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The FCA said its due to the ESS feature that the car is equipped with.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Mine did it every now and again when it was brand new. Over 12k miles later and I have not heard it at all!!

Sponsored

jchie21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2D
Some people found this in another thread, have not had the chance to try it out yet.
Squeal at start-up

"Yes, no noise with remote starts is what got me thinking, got me trying the reduced foot brake pressure at start-up.

Tried light foot pressure on brake and it worked.

Around a day or so later while I was still watching for the noise, I saw another guy posting here that he too had found the light pressure on brake pedal did the trick." @Rhinebeck01

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
I just touch the brake and let off as engine starts, never a squeal any more .

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Ya, i learned to push break enough to start engine and quickly de-press and you don't hear it. For whatever its worth its just something with the way the starter works or something. I'm not worried about it anymore. What bothers me more is the general slight HUM or RING i hear on the jeep that goes on and of and on and off constantly while driving. It seems to be behind the dash. Its very faint and doesn't really bother me, i just wonder what the heck it is.

Jlo_1212

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Jl Sahara
Occupation
Forensic Engineer
Had my Jeep in for an oil change and routine maintenance... asked them to take a look at my belts because I was having the squeal upon start up. The advisor told me nothing is wrong with my belts and that it probably is occurring because of the high humidity we have here in Florida. I have owned several vehicles in Florida and none have had this issue. Hmmmm maybe I’ll record it for them to hear.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Asked my service advisor about the squeal that Ive experienced since the beginning. He told me the mechanical said it was the sound of the water pump filling up and moving water. I just laughed.

I dropped my Sahara 3.6 with 17K off for the death wobble and figured I would ask them to look at the sound. They provided me with a Sahara with the 2.0T. That thing starts up absolutely SILENT. Must have a better water pump...

Sponsored

signals34

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
is this sound with autos only?...i have a manual, i just step on the clutch to start the engine, no brake pedal, never heard that sound at start up....

RGW_WNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubican
All these things make me wonder, I live rural alone on mountainside, one vehicle and can't have that in the shop. I want my ordered JLUR, but trading in an almost 3yo Tacoma TRD Pro with which no problems, only visits to service dept. for regular services of miles/time.

JLo

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2022 JTD
I'd like to know if a JLU owner with say 2,000 miles+ has this issue. Perhaps it is something that will stop after serpentine belt is broken in a bit.
I have 18K miles on my used JLU Sahara and it still makes the squealing noise on startup. I have either a grinding noise or a noise that sounds like a pop of air... and a sequel. Bringing it in Wednesday for an oil change and will have them look at it. Similar to other people it only happens when starting it in the morning or after 5+ hours.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have 18K miles on my used JLU Sahara and it still makes the squealing noise on startup. I have either a grinding noise or a noise that sounds like a pop of air... and a sequel. Bringing it in Wednesday for an oil change and will have them look at it. Similar to other people it only happens when starting it in the morning or after 5+ hours.
35K miles and still does it for me. It par for the course, it happens on the Grand Cherokees as well right there on the dealer lot.
Sponsored