Squeaky Clutch/Slave Cylinder 6 MT

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I was wondering if anyone else has this loud creaking noise coming from underneath their Jeep. It is NOT the clutch pedal but something underneath for sure. The noise is when you put the clutch in and out. I think it might just be the slave cylinder as this was an issue with the JK as well.

The noise only starts once the Jeep is warmed up and really does not get any louder. I actually took out the slave cylinder and greased the spherical ball end underneath the plastic cap and that did quiet it down a little bit but still there and very noticeable.

Post if you have this noise and how many miles are on your Jeep. Mine has probably been squeaky since 8-10k miles.

Miles: 20,220

Video
Sponsored

Last edited:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I was wondering if anyone else has this loud squeaky noise coming from underneath their Jeep. It is NOT the clutch pedal but something underneath for sure. The noise is when you put the clutch in and out. I think it might just be the slave cylinder as this was an issue with the JK as well.

The noise only starts once the Jeep is warmed up and really does not get any louder. I actually took out the slave cylinder and greased the spherical ball end underneath the plastic cap and that did quiet it down a little bit but still there and very noticeable.

Post if you have this noise and how many miles are on your Jeep. Mine has probably been squeaky since 8-10k miles.

Miles: 20,220

Video
Hi intentsrig,
I understand that a "squeaking noise" could be both concerning and frustrating. Have you had an opportunity to address this with your dealer? While I certainly understand reaching out to your forum members about the situation, please know that our team is here and happy to assist you.
If you do choose to bring this to your servicing dealer, feel free to send us a PM.

Kathryn
JeepCares

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
No one else?

Lol that cant be a good sign
Very few others, but youā€™re not alone. Type this into Google and youā€™ll find the threads in this topic:

site:jlwranglerforums.com squeak clutch

JoshuaaT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6 Speed
Vehicle Showcase
I have this EAXCT issue. In the morning everything is fine and quiet, but after it warms up it is very creaky. The dealership replaced the slave cylinder and bled the system. The noise was back within a week. Iā€™ll probably drop it off with them again after this next wheeling trip.

Sponsored

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
No one else?

Lol that cant be a good sign
I know this is a couple months old but i wanted to touch base. My clutch is also doing this. Has been doing it for probably 6 months now. I just had my clutch recall done and the dealer said they fixed it.....which they did not but thats a thing all in its own. Im going to say it is the Mopar specific slave cylinder. My old 94 Wrangler did this. I replaced the SC with a new one from Advanced Auto and boom it was gone. I think the o-rings inside swell and get damaged and cause the sound and that binding feeling you notice.

Did you ever figure it out

JoshuaaT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6 Speed
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is a couple months old but i wanted to touch base. My clutch is also doing this. Has been doing it for probably 6 months now. I just had my clutch recall done and the dealer said they fixed it.....which they did not but thats a thing all in its own. Im going to say it is the Mopar specific slave cylinder. My old 94 Wrangler did this. I replaced the SC with a new one from Advanced Auto and boom it was gone. I think the o-rings inside swell and get damaged and cause the sound and that binding feeling you notice.

I have had the dealership replace the slave cylinder twice now. The noise came back within a day or two both times. I had it back at the dealership for a leaking VVT sensor o ring this week. They replaced and lubed the clutch return spring while it was there. It helped the binding pedal feel about 50% but the noise is still there.

How long have you had the new slave cylinder on there? I might go this route.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
I have had the dealership replace the slave cylinder twice now. The noise came back within a day or two both times. I had it back at the dealership for a leaking VVT sensor o ring this week. They replaced and lubed the clutch return spring while it was there. It helped the binding pedal feel about 50% but the noise is still there.

How long have you had the new slave cylinder on there? I might go this route.
I haven't replaced the slave cylinder yet. I just got my Jeep back on Monday after being at the dealership for 5 weeks straight. I don't think the return spring is the issue because the dealer greased mine as well but the noise and binding feel come back once it is at operating temp.

With yours being replaced twice now with the same type of cylinder, I am going to go out on a limb and say it is the factory design being junk or the air isn't being completely evacuated.

OP
OP
intentsrig

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon

Nope, mine still makes this noise. I have not had the recall done yet. Mine only does this after warming up. So if the dealer did your recall and it sat for an hour or so, once they turned it back on the noise would be gone. So they might have thought they fixed it.

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I had the clutch recall done (no new clutch though) and my clutch feel was great and smooth for about a week.
Unfortunately my clutchā€™s gritty/catching feeling returned. Oh well.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
On mine it was not the spring but the slide inside the spring. Pop it out, grease the plastic real good inside and out, put it back and see if your noise is gone

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
On mine it was not the spring but the slide inside the spring. Pop it out, grease the plastic real good inside and out, put it back and see if your noise is gone
Iā€™ll try that.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thank for that.
I greased the spring assist mechanism and it is much better.