Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
VP Information Technology
Good morning! So I installed the Squadbox in my jeep yesterday. I have to say the install was a bear, but the end result was totally worth it! The one thing though is that the instructions aren't great! I think if it had better pictures with 3-D renderings of the parts it would have gone a bit faster, but I took my time and thought through it. I didn't have any real issues. If you have the one-touch skyview top, you will absolutely need to remove the rear quarter panel windows, but this thing will install without removing the top.

Here is a link to the site: https://www.squadbox.us/

I purchased it in Black with the molle panel system and aircraft rails.

Here is my honest, unbiased review:
Pros:
  • Overall build quality was outstanding. Everything lined up and fit together nicely.
  • Could be installed in the one-touch skyview model since you can install it without removing the top (Diabolical system requires removal of the top, so that was a no-go for me).
  • Super quiet (no vibrations, squeaking, etc. so far
  • Integrated molle panels are super nice, and the front panel molle can go in or out
  • Both front and top panels can easily be completely removed if you need to carry something bigger
  • It does seem very secure, although if you leave your doors on, it would defeat the purpose of the security since someone could just unlock the doors (and therefore the tailgate) to gain rear entry
  • No special tools required.
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Instructions were very hard to follow in some cases, and the diagrams are almost worthless
  • Instructions estimate 2 - 3 hours. I'd estimate it's closer to 4 - 6 hours.
  • Installation was probably a 6 out of 10 for difficulty due to poor instructions, but there is a video on youtube of installation in a JK. This helped a lot even though mine is a JL.
Now all I need to do is purchase some molle bags! Any recommendations?

Here are a few pics post-install.
Jeep Wrangler JL Squadbox Install 180241285_10159722386747754_6840508013255526933_n

Jeep Wrangler JL Squadbox Install 180247223_10159722386867754_6855697062352412060_n

Jeep Wrangler JL Squadbox Install 181605386_10159722386822754_644326794295103598_n

Jeep Wrangler JL Squadbox Install 181517546_10159722386902754_1118800749560144216_n
Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great! I ordered one a month ago and should be receiving it tomorrow. I appreciate your photos. I see now that I have to trim the ends of my Saris floor mounted bike rack to ensure it fits when I attach it to the Trail Rail Mount System floor rails.

In the end, The SquadBox compatibility with the TRMS floor rails was one of the main selling points for me. It seemed like most of the other rear enclosures occlude the floor TRMS in one way or another.

OP
OP
llaslo

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Looks great! I ordered one a month ago and should be receiving it tomorrow. I appreciate your photos. I see now that I have to trim the ends of my Saris floor mounted bike rack to ensure it fits when I attach it to the Trail Rail Mount System floor rails.

In the end, The SquadBox compatibility with the TRMS floor rails was one of the main selling points for me. It seemed like most of the other rear enclosures occlude the floor TRMS in one way or another.
The hardest part for me was getting the boxes on the left / right installed around the roll bar. The right was particularly bad. You'll definitely need a second pair of hands though. So far I'm pretty excited about it.

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Hey good job on the install. What effect did it have on the output of your subwoofer? Does it rattle at all? Thanks for any additional input. Looks great!

OP
OP
llaslo

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hey good job on the install. What effect did it have on the output of your subwoofer? Does it rattle at all? Thanks for any additional input. Looks great!
It doesn’t rattle at all, if anything the sub might be a bit muted since it’s inside a box but honestly I haven’t noticed much of a change.

Sponsored

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Thanks for the feedback
It doesn’t rattle at all, if anything the sub might be a bit muted since it’s inside a box but honestly I haven’t noticed much of a change.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I have been eyeing one of these but do have a question. I have three car seats installed the two forward facing use the tether anchors on the back of the seats.

Can the seats be locked into place with the molle out? Looking at the Molle panel stand off it seems there is enough room for the car seat buckle.

Guess I’m trying to find out how much room remains between the seat back and the panel.

OP
OP
llaslo

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I have been eyeing one of these but do have a question. I have three car seats installed the two forward facing use the tether anchors on the back of the seats.

Can the seats be locked into place with the molle out? Looking at the Molle panel stand off it seems there is enough room for the car seat buckle.

Guess I’m trying to find out how much room remains between the seat back and the panel.
So basically, the seat closes no problem; however, there is nearly no space between the molle panel and the seatback. I went out at lunch and snapped a pic to show you. There is no struggle whatsoever to close the seat. It closes as if the panel wasn't there, but I guess it will depend on how your car seat attaches to the seat back anchor to know if it will work for you or not. I'd guess you have maybe 1/8" clearance there? If it's a thin nylon strap and the attachment anchor is totally inside the anchor recess, then you're probably fine, but if it sticks out at all, then my guess is that it would be a problem. If the molle panel was facing in (it's fully reversible), then I suspect you'd have no problems whatsoever.

Jeep Wrangler JL Squadbox Install Image from iOS (4)

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Thanks! Perfect that’s what I needed to know. Figured I would have to put the molle inward. Which is fine as anything I would have on it I would want secured either the top down/off.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now that I have mine installed, I honestly think I could install another one in two hours, like what the instructions suggest, but that's only because I spent a couple of days this weekend struggling through an unfamiliar installation with poor instructions.

The instructions are wordy and could be improved with better pictures and photos...imagine telling someone how to put together a go-kart, but with no photos, no YouTube video, just over the phone, voice only. That's what these instructions felt like.

Honestly, just take a couple of photos, and state:
Make a set like this for the left side:
Jeep Wrangler JL Squadbox Install 1620627612344

Make a set like this for the right side:
Jeep Wrangler JL Squadbox Install 1620627684333

And just point out the correct hardware to use. In the top photo above, it's only the square spacers behind the lockable door and 12V outlet hole that use the 1" screws. I should also point out that I have a couple of bolts errantly installed backwards in the bottom photo. If you install the two bolts in front of the subwoofer hole with the nut on the outside like what I have pictures, those bolts will rub against the interior plastic, and damage it. So, follow the instructions and situate those bolts so that the threads are toward the center of the Jeep, and do NOT use washers on the bolt side, just the nut side.

Also, there's supposed to be a plastic spacer installed with the sex bolts at the bottom and front of the walls. I left them out when I took these photos. The assembly instructions do mention these spacers, but it's a small detail and too lately presented...by then, I had somewhat abandoned following the instructions.

The pieces are well made and most are clearly labeled with engraving. It should be almost intuitive how it all fits together, but somehow...it's not. I think it's because the instructions are so wordy and use a lot of terminology that's not immediately obvious to someone unfamiliar with the product.

There were many times during the installation that I had to disassemble and re-start at some point, because I misunderstood the instructions, or was given the wrong instruction, e.g. "Using the 1" Flat Head Screws, secure the Right Base Brace to the inside of the RIGHT BASE." You're actually supposed to use the 1.25" Construction Screws for that step.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing that confused me in the instructions is when it states, "The screws will countersink." So, I used the screws that did that. But these were the wrong screws. The correct screws did not countersink readily on my kit. Fixing it was easy...convincing myself I was going down the right path was the delay. I ended up just putting all the screws in the kit, everywhere the instructions said, or where I thought they should go, and asking myself, "Does this look right?"

Jeep Wrangler JL Squadbox Install 1620628784973

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And another thing that delayed me was getting through 90% of the assembly, then finding that something needed to be modified to make it work, which meant disassembly. For instance, there was some grinding to be done to get some parts to fit perfectly,

Once:
Jeep Wrangler JL Squadbox Install 1620629231509

Twice:
Jeep Wrangler JL Squadbox Install 1620629303463

So, before you go to put the assemblies in the Jeep, screw the whole things together (like what they do in the video), familiarize yourself with with how the tongues and grooves fit, which brackets go on the inside or outside of the walls, check for any fitment issues, then partially disassemble them for installation.

Last edited:

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I did wanna mention that even though this assembly uses what the instructions call "the pivot bracket", I don't think it's a good idea to do any pivoting on that pin when the front cover is installed. The top cover will torque into the front cover and start wearing and bending.
Jeep Wrangler JL Squadbox Install 1620629904878

It seems like I had a lot to complain about, but I really don't. The SquadBox is a great product, and I just want to help others to enjoy their SquadBox as quickly as possible and forewarn them of the low hurdles I had to overcome during installation.

Rlhdude

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Limited Willys
I did wanna mention that even though this assembly uses what the instructions call "the pivot bracket", I don't think it's a good idea to do any pivoting on that pin when the front cover is installed. The top cover will torque into the front cover and start wearing and bending.

It seems like I had a lot to complain about, but I really don't. The SquadBox is a great product, and I just want to help others to enjoy their SquadBox as quickly as possible and forewarn them of the low hurdles I had to overcome during installation.
The Review and tips are much appreciated, thank you. Getting my Squadbox in a week.

OP
OP
llaslo

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Another thing that confused me in the instructions is when it states, "The screws will countersink." So, I used the screws that did that. But these were the wrong screws. The correct screws did not countersink readily on my kit. Fixing it was easy...convincing myself I was going down the right path was the delay. I ended up just putting all the screws in the kit, everywhere the instructions said, or where I thought they should go, and asking myself, "Does this look right?"

Yes, this was probably my biggest struggle.
Sponsored