Spring Summer Configuration

Thinline21

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
So it’s been more years then I want to think about since I owned a Jeep. The bug never went away though and just got a JLU.

Back in the day my Jeep was “naked” from March to October. Had no carpet and a bikini top and could care less if it rained when I was parked or traveling.

Clearly the JLU is much more refined,but I still would like to be “naked” most of the time in the summer. I am lucky that I can be choosy about my days and drive something else if needed due to weather. But I live in the northeast and its inevitable that I will get caught in the rain. So looking for suggestions on how keep the inside & the wife as dry as possible (kids can get wet!)

I am thinking about building my own hard tonneau cover and rhino lining it. This would be both for top off security and some rain protection.

Then I am thinking of having a cab cover available and a safari style bikini top.

Please give me your thought, opinions, suggestions and experiences.

Thanks in advance for helping a old “Newbee” out
Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
We swap the hard top for the soft top in about March and put the hard top on again in November. For us, Bartact waterproof seat covers are a must, and the soft top covers the rest if it happens to rain. The bikini tops & tonneau cover left a lot to be desired on our JKU as they left a lot of open gaps and rain came in from the top of the doors & behind. That's when I sold those and picked up a soft top. It's easy to put up quickly if you get caught in an unexpected rain shower/storm. You can run it without the windows for that open air feeling, if it's a light rain, etc.

We ordered the dual top group on our JLU for those reasons.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Yeah so I roll the same way, my JK I basically destroyed with salt/sand, rain because I didn't properly protect the cab/inside. Bikini top only March - October, doors off usually late May to September.

So.....JL - Bartact seat covers all the way through
Armorlite in the front/rear (wish they had the Rear Cargo, because they don't I have Bedtred)
Bestop Bikini top (much improved on the JL from JK)

Garage kept when I'm not out, and I work from home so.....the time in the rain still exists (I live in South Carolina, but not as much as with my JK). Armorlite picture. Rain still gets in with the bikini, but it's manageable.

Armorlite.jpg

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Yeah so I roll the same way, my JK I basically destroyed with salt/sand, rain because I didn't properly protect the cab/inside. Bikini top only March - October, doors off usually late May to September.

So.....JL - Bartact seat covers all the way through
Armorlite in the front/rear (wish they had the Rear Cargo, because they don't I have Bedtred)
Bestop Bikini top (much improved on the JL from JK)

Garage kept when I'm not out, and I work from home so.....the time in the rain still exists (I live in South Carolina, but not as much as with my JK). Armorlite picture. Rain still gets in with the bikini, but it's manageable.

How old are your seat covers? I am looking for some for my JL and want to get a set with red inserts but some reviews say they fade fast and easy.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
My suggestion is to get a Jeep with a Sky One Touch (SOT) power top, or have one installed on your current Jeep. In my opinion, nothing beats just reaching up and pushing a button when it starts to rain too hard. Florida weather is fairly fickle, and rain can pop up anywhere, at any time, especially during summer. Plus, I’m getting too old and lazy (totally disabled veteran) to be wrestling with tops.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Clearly the JLU is much more refined,but I still would like to be “naked” most of the time in the summer. But I live in the northeast and its inevitable that I will get caught in the rain. So looking for suggestions on how keep the inside & the wife as dry as possible (kids can get wet!)

I am thinking about building my own hard tonneau cover and rhino lining it. This would be both for top off security and some rain protection.

Then I am thinking of having a cab cover available and a safari style bikini top.
Jeff's suggestion of a Sky One Touch top is a good one. My suggestion of just lowering the darn soft top, but not removing it, is a bit less good but more cheaps. And I'm no stranger to northeast weather patterns. ;)

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

My suggestion is to get a Jeep with a Sky One Touch (SOT) power top, or have one installed on your current Jeep. In my opinion, nothing beats just reaching up and pushing a button when it starts to rain too hard. Florida weather is fairly fickle, and rain can pop up anywhere, at any time, especially during summer. Plus, I’m getting too old and lazy (totally disabled veteran) to be wrestling with tops.
Yea, for places like Florida, the one touch makes a lot of sense, especially if you don't have the storage for the hard top.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

RoxyRubicon4xe

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi there. I am a new 2021 Jeep 4door Rubicon - hard top. I was wondering if there is a temporary soft-top solution for the summer months? I love the hard top but would also love a soft top. Are there any options that are interchangeable?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I am a new 2021 Jeep 4door Rubicon - hard top. I was wondering if there is a temporary soft-top solution for the summer months? I love the hard top but would also love a soft top. Are there any options that are interchangeable?
Welcome to the forum, Jennifer.

There's the popular (if pricey) Sunrider accessory. It adds a sunroof feature that is much easier and faster to use than are the Freedom Panels included with your hardtop Jeep. Not a full soft top, but one option for you nonetheless.
Sponsored