Spring bowed on 2.5 inch RK lift Adventure Series 2

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
@Roky @hoag4147 so the good news is the shop was willing to order the pads on their dime and install them for free They also agree that if the pads weren't in the kit that they should have caught it before doing the install instead of the tech just installing the springs on top of the OEM pads

The shop called the retailer I ordered the kit from and the retailer agreed to send the replacement pads to the shop for free, which is great. The shop called me back to tell me once they get the pads, they will schedule a time with me to install. All is well....

Then I remembered how it got confusing in our discussion on this thread about the PN# of the replacement pads for the rear and I had hunch that the retailer was probably going to send the symmetrical rear pads instead of the asymmetrical pair. I called the retailer and explained the situation and yes, they were indeed about to send the shop the symmetrical pair. In the end, they had to call RK to get the asymmetrical kit because apparently that's the only way to get it.

The last thing I needed was to have the shop get and install the wrong pads and for us to have to do a round 3 with this whole thing.... Glad I caught it ahead of time.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Roky @hoag4147 so the good news is the shop was willing to order the pads on their dime and install them for free They also agree that if the pads weren't in the kit that they should have caught it before doing the install instead of the tech just installing the springs on top of the OEM pads

The shop called the retailer I ordered the kit from and the retailer agreed to send the replacement pads to the shop for free, which is great. The shop called me back to tell me once they get the pads, they will schedule a time with me to install. All is well....

Then I remembered how it got confusing in our discussion on this thread about the PN# of the replacement pads for the rear and I had hunch that the retailer was probably going to send the symmetrical rear pads instead of the asymmetrical pair. I called the retailer and explained the situation and yes, they were indeed about to send the shop the symmetrical pair. In the end, they had to call RK to get the asymmetrical kit because apparently that's the only way to get it.

The last thing I needed was to have the shop get and install the wrong pads and for us to have to do a round 3 with this whole thing.... Glad I caught it ahead of time.
Good news brother, glad they stepped up.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Glad it all worked out. Drop some pics on this thread when you get completed. :like:

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Glad it all worked out. Drop some pics on this thread when you get completed. :like:
Welp, I'm at the shop now getting my new springs installed. The mechanic came out with the old and new front pads and was like they look identical to the OEM pads. He's putting the new ones on anyway though.

As for the rear, he said it doesn't looks like it will fit on the spring. Here are the pics I took of him demonstrating. The smaller pad is the OEM and the bigger one is the new pad. I called RK and spoke with Adam and had the mechanic speak directly to him.

Between the OEM pads looking exactly like the new pads and the rear not appearing to fit, I can't help but think that either this shop is incompetent or I was sent the wrong pads or both.

20210813_100341.jpg

20210813_100354.jpg

Sponsored

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
@Roky @hoag4147 I just got more clarity on what happened. Turns out that in the first install, the mechanic installed the rear pads to the top of the springs in the front. He said that recalling from the kits they usually install, the RK rear pads looked like they belonged there. When they removed the OEM top pads, they were thrown away in that install.

The shop just ordered new OEM front/top pads to replace. They tried to explain the situation but it just confused me more. At this point I'm not sure where all the pads are. I've schedule another visit to get this all sorted

Basically, this has been a big cluster of an install at this point. They are trying to make it right but now I've lost confidence in them. I chose this shop because they do tons of lifts, they did my JKU back in 2018 and they were $200 cheaper on the quote than what 4wheelparts gave me.

I don't know if 4wheel would've done a better job but I can't imagine it would've been worse than this....

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Welp, I'm at the shop now getting my new springs installed. The mechanic came out with the old and new front pads and was like they look identical to the OEM pads. He's putting the new ones on anyway though.

As for the rear, he said it doesn't looks like it will fit on the spring. Here are the pics I took of him demonstrating. The smaller pad is the OEM and the bigger one is the new pad. I called RK and spoke with Adam and had the mechanic speak directly to him.

Between the OEM pads looking exactly like the new pads and the rear not appearing to fit, I can't help but think that either this shop is incompetent or I was sent the wrong pads or both.

20210813_100341.jpg

20210813_100354.jpg
Top pic appears to be bottom from and second pic is definitely a top just not sure for front or back.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Roky @hoag4147 I just got more clarity on what happened. Turns out that in the first install, the mechanic installed the rear pads to the top of the springs in the front. He said that recalling from the kits they usually install, the RK rear pads looked like they belonged there. When they removed the OEM top pads, they were thrown away in that install.

The shop just ordered new OEM front/top pads to replace. They tried to explain the situation but it just confused me more. At this point I'm not sure where all the pads are. I've schedule another visit to get this all sorted

Basically, this has been a big cluster of an install at this point. They are trying to make it right but now I've lost confidence in them. I chose this shop because they do tons of lifts, they did my JKU back in 2018 and they were $200 cheaper on the quote than what 4wheelparts gave me.

I don't know if 4wheel would've done a better job but I can't imagine it would've been worse than this....
:facepalm:............I really don’t know what to say ....🤯

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
:facepalm:............I really don’t know what to say ....🤯
I am with you on that comment. :facepalm:

OP - definitely make sure as Roky mentioned above, they install bottom rears for side specific or you will be back again. UGH

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I am with you on that comment. :facepalm:

OP - definitely make sure as Roky mentioned above, they install bottom rears for side specific or you will be back again. UGH
Yea.... Hopefully when I return next week this can all be made right. But at the rate they are putting the pads in all the wrong places, I wouldn't be surprised if next week I find one on top of my freedom panels, lol.
Sponsored