Sponsored

Sprayed oil based wood stain all over jeep…..

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
So I was spraying my deck with stain a couple weeks ago, professional graco sprayer. I’ve used the sprayer atleast 100 times now and am very familar with overspray, tips, and pressure.

I parked my jeep 50ft away from the deck thinking it would for sure be ok.

well it wasn’t, jeep is covered in overspray.

The good thing is this is an oil based stain, so it doesn’t really “dry”.

Dish soap does almost nothing.

I tried using mequires ultimate compound and my DA polisher and it came right off, but I’m not really trying to spend 10 hours paint correcting my entire jeep with 2k miles on it. I feel like there’s 2 ways to remove it, sheer elbow grease or dissolve it via chemical and wipe off, such as mineral spirits.

I’m guess I’m trying to think of a product that will allow me to wipe off the stain without the elbow grease.

It’s also on the soft top vinyl windows! Which I suppose presents another issue with whatever cleaning product I use.

Any ideas? No sure I want to mineral spirits my entire car.

Thanks!
Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Just wipe it down with some goo gone on a microfiber rag. Or mineral spirits as that’s 98% what goo gone is.

you could try some citrus cleaner or pre paint degreaser stuff but probably won’t work.

edit: test whatever you use in an inconspicuous spot first

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Clay bar?

OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Just wipe it down with some goo gone on a microfiber rag. Or mineral spirits as that’s 98% what goo gone is.

you could try some citrus cleaner or pre paint degreaser stuff but probably won’t work.

edit: test whatever you use in an inconspicuous spot first
Yeah but the vinyl windows have me worried with those products, but I guess I have to use something like that regardless.

Can I use a DA polisher on the soft top windows?

Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
You maybe SOL with the soft windows. Chances are the thinner already in the stain discolored or fogged them up.

best thing I can think for those is some boat clear vinyl cleaner. But it a shot in the dark

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
First thing I tried after dish soap, didn’t work
then it’s going to be some elbow grease. I’d go gone it and then buff it out.
As for the windows, it’s going to be foggy I think.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Wow that sucks, Maybe let a professional take care of it. If you have to replace the top or the windows would insurance get involved ? IDK. Hope you get it resolved.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
It’s also on the soft top vinyl windows! Which I suppose presents another issue with whatever cleaning product I use.

Any ideas? No sure I want to mineral spirits my entire car.
I discovered the Novus brand of plastic care products in 1995, just after I purchased my new YJ. I remember it working very well on that vehicle's soft top window panels. Maybe it's worth your consideration.

Avoid powerful formulas of anything, to the extent possible.

You might be thinking of Goof Off, a separate product that is a very flammable solvent. It works rather well, but it can easily damage the surface in question when not used carefully.

Goo Gone is a gentler cleaner that is a proper first step.

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have a couple gallons of goof off and use it for lots a stuff. I’m not getting near my jeep with it lol.
Ok. It cleaned sap off my soft top like it was a dry erase marker. Thought it might help.

I also got 303 Protectant over spray on my soft top windows and elbow grease and iso alcohol got it off.

LTJ04

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Have no idea if this will work (again try it in a spot that won’t be obvious first) I saw this on another forum a while back. A friend parked her car for weeks under trees at her apartment and never noticed the baked on tree sap building up. We used Pinesol and it took it off with destroying the paint. like I said i have no idea if it would work. And the company for Pinesol doesn’t recommend it.

OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Ok. It cleaned sap off my soft top like it was a dry erase marker. Thought it might help.

I also got 303 Protectant over spray on my soft top windows and elbow grease and iso alcohol got it off.
You used goof off on your soft top? Surprised it didn’t damage it.

I’m not sure what exactly it reacts to, I just know if you get it on the wrong thing its acts like a decently strong acid.

permanently destroyed so many things with goof off just scared to use it
Sponsored