Sports Plastic Bumper Discoloration

Arnusoriano

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Scion TC, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, Horse
Have you guys experience bumper discoloration on the Sport's model bumper (plastic version)?
I own a 2018 Jeep JL sports version that came with a plastic bumper and it discolored to a very ugly grey color. Its very noticeable and makes the jeep look bad. I've always used Chemical guy's products to try to revive it but it seems to be a temporary fix and idk if it's actually making it worse. I was actually thinking of replacing it with a metal bumper but i'll rather keep my jeep's bumper i actually like it and don't like most of the after market bumpers.
Im trying one last thing, yesterday i applied Cerakote https://www.amazon.com/CERAKOTE-Cer...r_1_2?keywords=Cerakote&qid=1585588233&sr=8-2 it initially looks good but we will see if it holds on for an extended period and if it actually looks good. If that doesn't work ill probably be looking for a metal bumper as replacement. Ill post a picture from 2 days ago and yesterday (after applying Cerakote)

20200330_102316.jpg

20200330_102341.jpg
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Have you guys experience bumper discoloration on the Sport's model bumper (plastic version)?
I own a 2018 Jeep JL sports version that came with a plastic bumper and it discolored to a very ugly grey color. Its very noticeable and makes the jeep look bad. I've always used Chemical guy's products to try to revive it but it seems to be a temporary fix and idk if it's actually making it worse. I was actually thinking of replacing it with a metal bumper but i'll rather keep my jeep's bumper i actually like it and don't like most of the after market bumpers.
Im trying one last thing, yesterday i applied Cerakote https://www.amazon.com/CERAKOTE-Cer...r_1_2?keywords=Cerakote&qid=1585588233&sr=8-2 it initially looks good but we will see if it holds on for an extended period and if it actually looks good. If that doesn't work ill probably be looking for a metal bumper as replacement. Ill post a picture from 2 days ago and yesterday (after applying Cerakote)

20200330_102316.jpg

20200330_102341.jpg
I'm with ya Jesus, that bumper looks terrible in the top picture. I know Armoral and McGuires makes a "black restorer". ( I like the Armoral one better). I've used both and apply it every 6 months on wax day just to preserve the color. As a matter of fact I waxed today

0FAA4CE9-114A-445F-8A51-4EA321784C42.jpeg

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I am not happy to see this happening on the JLs also. This is VERY common on previous Wranglers like the TJ and JK. Both plastic bumpers and fenders will oxidize. I suspect it's the UV from the sun that is causing the black to change. I am surprised it's happening to a JL already. Never mind, just noticed you are in Mexico. LOTs of sun and UV down there.

Let us know how the Cerakote holds up?

I used to apply a UV blocking plastic conditioner like 303 Aerospace. You have to do it often if you are in a region where there is a lot of sun and UV. Unfortunately it will eventually get to the point where you will need to re-paint with a matte black paint.

It's worth taking it to your dealer to see if it's covered under warranty?

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
not only the bumpers, but the fender flares too, i wouldnt be surprise the door handles and mirror will fade due to the uv sun rays. i'm thinking the top will take a hit down the road.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
303 protection is a good product,

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I've seen this on older jeeps and on some of the plastic trim on my previous JK. I detail my vehicles and those of friends and family as a hobby. I don't see the other trim on your vehicle as faded as the front bumper. The "Euro" bumper fillers and your front and rear fenders seem to be OK. That leads me to believe one of two things - 1. your bumper has a defect of some sort causing to fade this way or 2. you've been using some type of product that is having a negative affect on your vehicle while it is out in the sun. I suggest using Dawn dish soap or a citrus based car soap to wash the bumper and remove anything that is currently on it. Wash the bumper, rinse and repeat a few times then use 303 Protectant.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Plasti dip that thing black! It will look great and add wicked protection for a looooooooong time.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Maguire keeps everything looking new.

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon

20200330_102316.jpg

20200330_102341.jpg
Dont put Armor all on new plastic trim(or any oil based "restorer").

Armor all and other like products contain alcohol which helps dry up the oil otherwise your black trimming would remain greasy and oily.

Armor all and like products were/are designed to restore very old faded plastics. It is not made to be applied on new plastics. 99% of folks dont know or understand this.

The alcohol content(especially if left in sun) will dry rot the plastics. Your bumper unfortunately is a self inflicted wound.

The more you use Armor all(or like products) the worse the fading will get.

Just soap and water on new black trimmings.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
armor all is not good on tires either. they will dry up the rubber and eventually crack.

OP
OP
Arnusoriano

Arnusoriano

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ive used 303 and it was a temporary solution like a week or so. So far Cerakote is holding good and is looking nice after over a week. The fenders are still looking good but not as factory. I've used many products especially Checmical Guys Trim Coating, tire and trim Gel, 303 but that only holds for like a week and then the problem seem to worsen once they wear out.

I didn't apply cerakote on the fenders as i didn't want to damage those since i wasn't familiar with the product. But if Cerakote keeps holding on ill probably do all trim. Ill keep reporting the progress and put pictures in a week.
Im in CA (Los Angeles) btw and it is pretty sunny, and yesterday it rained and ill check if water damaged the coating or something...

OP
OP
Arnusoriano

Arnusoriano

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dont put Armor all on new plastic trim(or any oil based "restorer").

Armor all and other like products contain alcohol which helps dry up the oil otherwise your black trimming would remain greasy and oily.

Armor all and like products were/are designed to restore very old faded plastics. It is not made to be applied on new plastics. 99% of folks dont know or understand this.

The alcohol content(especially if left in sun) will dry rot the plastics. Your bumper unfortunately is a self inflicted wound.

The more you use Armor all(or like products) the worse the fading will get.

Just soap and water on new black trimmings.
I wonder if this was the root cause of the problem, i kept putting Chemical Guys "Tire and Trim" Gel so maybe is the same chemical composition as Armorall.

OP
OP
Arnusoriano

Arnusoriano

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not happy to see this happening on the JLs also. This is VERY common on previous Wranglers like the TJ and JK. Both plastic bumpers and fenders will oxidize. I suspect it's the UV from the sun that is causing the black to change. I am surprised it's happening to a JL already. Never mind, just noticed you are in Mexico. LOTs of sun and UV down there.

Let us know how the Cerakote holds up?

I used to apply a UV blocking plastic conditioner like 303 Aerospace. You have to do it often if you are in a region where there is a lot of sun and UV. Unfortunately it will eventually get to the point where you will need to re-paint with a matte black paint.

It's worth taking it to your dealer to see if it's covered under warranty?
Yea, that's the only complain i have on my JL after 45K miles / 2 years. The trim is fading and it's hard to keep it alive
Sponsored