Sponsored

Sport vs. Rubicon

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
If you feel you need 37" tires, surely you would want to upgrade the axles and gearing on a sport (unless you just want them for looks on the road). Why not get a Rubicon and just put 35" tires on it at your first tire replacement? You'll have better/stronger axles, 4.10 gears (which won't be too bad with 35" tires), a 4:1 transfer case, 7" uconnect, power windows and locks, highline fenders, higher suspension than a Sport, and all the other small Rubicon extras. You probably won't even need a lift at all.

I also agree with most comments made about re-sale value. All the wranglers hold their value pretty well. What doesn't hold it's value is aftermarket modifications. So a Sport with aftermarket modifications will not hold it's value as well as a stock Rubicon. You don't get much return on aftermarket modifications whether you put them on a Sport or Rubicon.
+1 Very well said. 35" on the Rubicon without lift is the way to go imho. Plus no issues with FCA warranties. Plus I agree with you on your other points.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
For me, the decision was easy. I bought a stock JLU Sport. First of all, I'm a single retiree on a fixed income now, so dropping $30K instead of $40K-$50K was a no-brainer. Equally important, all the gee-gaws, foo-foo, beads and trinkets on the Sport S, Sahara and Rubicon don't interest me one bit. And I prefer a manual transmission in a 4x4.

My add-ons are simple and functional: Mopar floor mats, a two-inch receiver, and eventually, slightly larger A-T tires when it's time to replace the stock rubber.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
For me, the decision was easy. I bought a stock JLU Sport. First of all, I'm a single retiree on a fixed income now, so dropping $30K instead of $40K-$50K was a no-brainer. Equally important, all the gee-gaws, foo-foo, beads and trinkets on the Sport S, Sahara and Rubicon don't interest me one bit. And I prefer a manual transmission in a 4x4.

My add-ons are simple and functional: Mopar floor mats, a two-inch receiver, and eventually, slightly larger A-T tires when it's time to replace the stock rubber.
I bought a base too but for a completely different reason: I'm a cheap bastard!!! :cwl: All kidding aside, I wanted to do my own upgrades and I'm having a great time doing it. But if I was planning on large wheels/tires down the road (which I'm not) then I'd get the Rubicon.

OP
OP

Scott from NC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A mom Van, researching our next Wrangler
If you feel you need 37" tires, surely you would want to upgrade the axles and gearing on a sport (unless you just want them for looks on the road). Why not get a Rubicon and just put 35" tires on it at your first tire replacement? You'll have better/stronger axles, 4.10 gears (which won't be too bad with 35" tires), a 4:1 transfer case, 7" uconnect, power windows and locks, highline fenders, higher suspension than a Sport, and all the other small Rubicon extras. You probably won't even need a lift at all.

I also agree with most comments made about re-sale value. All the wranglers hold their value pretty well. What doesn't hold it's value is aftermarket modifications. So a Sport with aftermarket modifications will not hold it's value as well as a stock Rubicon. You don't get much return on aftermarket modifications whether you put them on a Sport or Rubicon.
Thank you all for the feedback. Vavaroutsos you have some great posts and some solid logic here. I am now really thinking about the Rubicon and getting 35s on the stock wheels, and no lift. If I want to go bigger tires and lift down the road I can accomplish 37 without needeing axels, gears, brakes, In the mean time enjoy the stock ride quality since this will be a 99% road jeep for at least a few years.

After reading all of the feedback, I looked up as much 35" Rubicon, no lift comments as I reasonably could. I'm not finding anyone unhappy with the ride or the look.
Let's see if I don't change my mind again tomorrow.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Thank you all for the feedback. Vavaroutsos you have some great posts and some solid logic here. I am now really thinking about the Rubicon and getting 35s on the stock wheels, and no lift. If I want to go bigger tires and lift down the road I can accomplish 37 without needeing axels, gears, brakes, In the mean time enjoy the stock ride quality since this will be a 99% road jeep for at least a few years.

After reading all of the feedback, I looked up as much 35" Rubicon, no lift comments as I reasonably could. I'm not finding anyone unhappy with the ride or the look.
Let's see if I don't change my mind again tomorrow.
Scott, I went through the same thing myself. I couldn't decide whether I wanted to build a hard core sport with Dana 60's or get a Rubicon. I found there wasn't that much price difference between a Sport equipped as close to possible to a Rubicon and a Rubicon. I figured if I did decide to do a hard core build down the road, I could easily sell the Rubicon take offs (not true with Sport take offs) and still have the 4:1 transfer case, electronic sway bar disconnect, etc. An Atlas transfer case for the Sport would pretty much have made up the cost difference alone. After spending way too much time making spreadsheets, it was clear that the Rubicon is a better value for me.

Sponsored

Rural Applachia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited 2018 JLU Sport S
We own both a older Rubi and a JLU Sport S. We did get the anti slip on the sport. For us it was a better value. We drive over 200 miles a week on dirt, gravel and potholes in dirt for work. We just could not justify the extra $10K for a new Rubicon, We have everything we need and then some

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This where I can use some help:
Does anyone know of a quality aftermarket stereo with Navigation?
Does anyone know if it is possible to order high-line fenders (color matched) from Mopar?
Can you please post pics of your Sport with 37" tires and a Mopar lift.
I think you have your mind pretty much set on the pros and cons of buying a sport vs a rubi and the answers you are getting are mostly advising you what to buy, so to help you answer your questions:

1- Does anyone know of a quality aftermarket stereo with Navigation?:

Not exactly an aftermarket but here's a thread of someone who upgraded a 7.0 to an 8.4. You can find helpful info here. Also, the 7.0 has android auto/apple carplay so you can use your phone navigation. For places where there's no cellphone data service, goole maps (don't know about other nav apps as this is what I use) gives you the option to download the maps before starting your trip. Also, you could carry an old school GPS for cases where you don't have cellphone data service and couldn't download the area maps before your trip.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/7”-to-8-4”-success.13564/#post-329783

2- Does anyone know if it is possible to order high-line fenders (color matched) from Mopar?

https://fortec4x4.com/products/jep-82215740?variant=1490328158233

https://www.rubitrux.com/mopar-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-rubicon-high-top-fender-flares-822157xx.html

https://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-wrangler-performance-high-fender-flares-paintable-door-p-8471.html

But you would have to paint them yourself. Don't know if the color you'll be getting is already available..

https://www.quadratec.com/mopar/jeep-touch-up-spray-paint-can

3- Can you please post pics of your Sport with 37" tires and a Mopar lift

I'm sure you'll find some here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/35-and-37-jl-pics-with-lift-kit.3186/

Now, my share of advice:

Be light on the throttle if you go with 37s on the D30.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Saw that I your original post you mentioned leasing. Remember that you can't put mods on a lease especially lifts, fenders, etc. You could probably get by with the sound system as long as you can completely reverse it before turning it in. Don't know if you would run into problems if you took it in for warranty work.

LeoD

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Real Estate Sales
Hi Guys,

My pre-purchase decisions went back and forth too. We all know that the Jeep will get lot's of mods, and if you do anything off road, or put 35's or bigger, then you need the Rubicon suspension, axles, gears, etc. AND, Rubicons are still Rubicons when it comes time to sell. When looking at all the options of all models and how they come delivered to the dealer, I decided to order mine without the lots of things I really didn't need (proximity locks, blind spot, leather, 8" Connect, etc) and just bought it stock with only the items I really wanted: auto, hardtop, hitch (upgraded battery and alternator), the 4 switches for later options). The price I paid was lower than any Rubicon that the dealers put on their lots and actually less thank many other semi-loaded up models.

So, there's my two cents, order the Rubicon without all the expensive stuff you don't need. AND at the end of the day, you are driving the coolest model they make :)

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I had a sport 5 years I'm so glad I got the Rubicon this time it's so worth it. no one girls four wheeler and every weekend very few people do that like a boat at the lake when we had a boat we went to the lake every two weekend three day weekend it's hard to do that when when you have other commitments as you get older kids rain you can't go. but we try to go as much as possible I love the Rubicon it's so worth it get to Rubicon you won't regret it

Sponsored

Jeep Jenn

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Sport S
Does anyone know if it is possible to order high-line fenders (color matched) from Mopar?
no the things you ask for are not yet out.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma, 1997 Tacoma, previous: 1978 Jeep CJ7, 1975 FJ-40, 2008 Audi RS4
Scott from NC wrote: "Thank you all for the feedback. Vavaroutsos you have some great posts and some solid logic here. I am now really thinking about the Rubicon and getting 35s on the stock wheels, and no lift."

If you go to 35s on stock wheels you will need to run a 35x11.5 to avoid rubbing - this is a rare size, but Nitto makes one. Most 35s are 12.5 in width, and you will have some rubbing with this size on a stock wheel. You can avoid rubbing with a 35x12.5 tire if you get new wheels with proper offset (~$225 per wheel, but there is a big range), or you can use the stock wheels with spacers (to provide proper offset). Spidertrax makes good spacers, and will run ~$240 for a set of four. Make sure to torque the bolts to spec when installing, and check them whenever you rotate tires.

Good luck with the new Jeep!

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Does anyone know of a quality aftermarket stereo with Navigation? Yes, your phone...plug it in through the aux port.

Does anyone know if it is possible to order high-line fenders (color matched) from Mopar? NO, they do not come painted...you will need to have them painted by an aftermarket shop.

Can you please post pics of your Sport with 37" tires and a Mopar lift. No, I own a Rubicon sorry

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

46725723-167E-4CA1-90DD-E1EB5A50E484.png
C187F4EC-10DE-4CE3-B699-537BB94E3F77.jpeg
E3027E44-FB40-4E1B-9F6D-183570773D70.jpeg
If you get a sport with the anti slip package it comes with the D44 rear and a limited slip diff.

you can probably find rubi take off fenders in the color you need. Might take some time. If you buy a rubi, you have to pay more for painted fenders, though not too much.

unless you disconnect your sway bar and flex, the sport fenders will probably clear the 37s just fine. I went off roading with a guy with a Sport on 37s with stock fenders. Not sure what lift this guy has but he didnt disconnect but was beating on it pretty good. And its on standard axles :whew:

CZ 75

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
If you're going 37s just get the Rubi. You'll be glad you had the better axles and 4.10s.
Sponsored