Sport vs. Rubicon

Scott from NC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A mom Van, researching our next Wrangler
I am getting ready to order the next jeep, and my decision making has gone from Sport to Rubicon back to Sport.
To make it is easy, I do not need the plush of a Sahara, and I also do not see the need for the added cost for a Sport S to gain power windows and locks. I will have a soft top, so won't be locking the doors anyway.

I wheel 3-4 times a year, and will not be doing anything hard core. 12-15 times per year we take weekend trips on mountain dirt roads, 4wd is rarely even needed.
My thinking is that the Rubicon axels/gears will not be needed.

I will be lifting this Jeep, well because it's a Jeep. Either Jeep I would be going with a Mopar lift, and 37" tires with correct back spacing, not wheel spacers, no spacer lift.

Here is my logic:
Sport versus Rubicon $10K difference in price.
Sport vs. Rubicon Upgraded Wheels/tires/lift, will be the same so no price difference.
Sport will need upgraded fenders +$1,000 (roughly)
Sport will need upgraded stereo with Nav +$1,000 (roughly)

Rubicon I can sell the stock wheels, tires and suspension +$1,500

I see a $6,500 difference. I do not think this enough to warrant the axels, gears, t-case upgrades for what my needs are.
After 5 years when this is no longer a DD, if I want to wheel more I can upgrade the components later.

Also, Jeep has a promo for a $250/mo lease on the sport, I plan on talking to my dealer tomorrow to understand the details, and what the buy out would be at the end of the lease. I typically do not like leases, but this may be worth exploring.

Where I can use help:
Does anyone know of a quality aftermarket stereo with Navigation?
Does anyone know if it is possible to order high-line fenders (color matched) from Mopar?
Can you please post pics of your Sport with 37" tires and a Mopar lift.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Sponsored

Last edited:

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I am getting ready to order the next jeep, and my decision making has gone from Sport to Rubicon back to Sport.
To make it is easy, I do not need the plush of a Sahara, and I also do not see the need for the added cost for a Sport S to gain power windows and locks. I will have a soft top, so won't be locking the doors anyway.

I wheel 3-4 times a year, and will not be doing anything hard core. 12-15 times per year we take weekend trips on mountain dirt roads, 4wd is rarely even needed.
My thinking is that the Rubicon axels/gears will not be needed.

I will be lifting this Jeep, well because it's a Jeep. Either Jeep I would be going with a Mopar lift, and 37" tires with correct back spacing, not wheel spacers, no spacer lift.

Here is my logic:
Sport versus Rubicon $10K difference in price.
Sport vs. Rubicon Upgraded Wheels/tires/lift, will be the same so no price difference.
Sport will need upgraded fenders +$1,000 (roughly)
Sport will need upgraded stereo with Nav +$1,000 (roughly)

Rubicon I can sell the stock wheels, tires and suspension +$1,500

I see a $6,500 difference. I do not think this enough to warrant the axels, gears, t-case upgrades for what my needs are.
After 5 years when this is no longer a DD, if I want to wheel more I can upgrade the components later.

Also, Jeep has a promo for a $250/mo lease on the sport, I plan on talking to my dealer tomorrow to understand the details, and what the buy out would be at the end of the lease. I typically do not like leases, but this may be worth exploring.

Where I can use help:
Does anyone know if it is possible to order high-line fenders (color matched) from Mopar?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
We share the same exact logic. I got the sport S though but everything else is spot on. Way to go.

Save your money on accessories!

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Prett sure you answered your own questions. Nothing you mentioned is Rubicon exclusive and with 10k to spend on your personal style (vs just taking the premade version)- that sounds like a win.

Jlb27537

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '12 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins
Occupation
Retired
A opinion from a old guy. I am getting ready to order my first Jeep. I am 76. In 5 years, going to sell, you advertise a Sport that you added 10K of upgrades to "make it yours".

Now in 5 years you advertise a Rubicon with just a few "make it mine" things.

Looking at current sales figures, Rubicon orders are 70%, Sport 15%, Sahara 15%.

This tells me future value lies in a Rubicon. While it might cost more in the front end. I optioned out a Sport S with auto, top, windows, positrac, tires, radio, etc. Had over 5K in options. A Rubi with auto and top, the rest that is a option on a Sport S is standard on a Rubi is just that much more.

So, going to order a 2dr Rubi with 2 options. Auto and hard top. This will be used in Colorado and not a DD. Really do not need the capability of a Rubi, but better to have it and not need it, rather need it and not have it.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Opinion from another old guy--same age--

SUNP0161_zpsphx8ksip.jpg

Good move, the RUBICONS have an inherent shallow depreciation value !

JIMBO
A opinion from a old guy. I am getting ready to order my first Jeep. I am 76. In 5 years, going to sell, you advertise a Sport that you added 10K of upgrades to "make it yours".

Looking at current sales figures, Rubicon orders are 70%, Sport 15%, Sahara 15%.

This tells me future value lies in a Rubicon. While it might cost more in the front end. I optioned out a Sport S with auto, top, windows, positrac, tires, radio, etc. Had over 5K in options. A Rubi with auto and top, the rest that is a option on a Sport S is standard on a Rubi is just that much more.

So, going to order a 2dr Rubi with 2 options. Auto and hard top. This will be used in Colorado and not a DD. Really do not need the capability of a Rubi, but better to have it and not need it, rather need it and not have it.

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know. My opinion is the name Wrangler will have low depreciation. Heck 20 year old wranglers are still going for north of $10k
No way the price differential makes up for the $10k differential plus tax and registration and insurance up front. Invest that $10 for 10 years and double it, sell your sport for $3k less than a Rubi and pocket the difference.
Buy what you want now, don't worry about resale down the road. Just my opinion.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I don't know. My opinion is the name Wrangler will have low depreciation. Heck 20 year old wranglers are still going for north of $10k
No way the price differential makes up for the $10k differential plus tax and registration and insurance up front. Invest that $10 for 10 years and double it, sell your sport for $3k less than a Rubi and pocket the difference.
It blows me away that before people buy a car, they worry about selling it in 5 years. Instead of buying a car, buy some real estate.

A new automobile isn't something you are going to make money on....ever. No one has in the history of mankind, lol.

OP
OP

Scott from NC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I share this logic completely. I have owned many jeeps and not once did I have trouble selling it for what I wanted. Any wrangler holds value well. My last was a JK that I bought new and less than 2 years later sold it and only lost $600 (it was a sport).

OP
OP

Scott from NC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This where I can use some help:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It's going to be hard to get a aftermarket stereo with navigation that is as integrated as the Alpine Infotainment. Plus there's the Off Road Pages and Active Noise Canceling you won't be getting. ANC is only on the 2.0 so that might not matter depending on your engine choose.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport

If you live in a climate like CO there’s a strong argument to be made that a Sport with Anti-Spin limited slip diff will be a far superior vehicle to a Rubicon with a locking rear diff. The argument gets even stronger if you’re not regularly using your Rubi to climb rocks.

I’m like you in that I buy the model that represents the best value so I completely get your line of thinking, but a Rubicon, unlike most “top of the line models”, is unique in that it’s strongest differentiating virtues are not meant to exploit ordinary driving situations like slippery road surfaces, which you see a lot of in CO.

I bought a Sport with Anti-Spin. It’s more useful in real-world driving situations than lockers.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
If you feel you need 37" tires, surely you would want to upgrade the axles and gearing on a sport (unless you just want them for looks on the road). Why not get a Rubicon and just put 35" tires on it at your first tire replacement? You'll have better/stronger axles, 4.10 gears (which won't be too bad with 35" tires), a 4:1 transfer case, 7" uconnect, power windows and locks, highline fenders, higher suspension than a Sport, and all the other small Rubicon extras. You probably won't even need a lift at all.

I also agree with most comments made about re-sale value. All the wranglers hold their value pretty well. What doesn't hold it's value is aftermarket modifications. So a Sport with aftermarket modifications will not hold it's value as well as a stock Rubicon. You don't get much return on aftermarket modifications whether you put them on a Sport or Rubicon.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Alpine radio with Navigation is being worked on from what I have read. When it will be ready for release I don't know. I would make contact with them and ask.

Fender Flares from the Rubicon can be purchased but not paint matched. You would need to get your paint code and have them painted. These should allow you to run 37" tires with a 2" lift installed on a Sport

upload_2018-8-18_0-3-42.png

https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/pdf/performance-catalogs/JeepPerformancePartsCatalog.pdf

OP
OP

Scott from NC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all for the opinions and feedback.
I wonder how much gears would cost?
I am curous to know what wheel size and spacing will be needed for a sport?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Thank you all for the opinions and feedback.
I wonder how much gears would cost?
I am curous to know what wheel size and spacing will be needed for a sport?
If you don't have the tools and know how to do it yourself, budget about $1200 per axle for parts (about $600) and installation (it's quite a bit of work to install them and set them up). You should be able to find a good shop for less than that in most parts of the USA.

Also, you'll want larger brakes with big tires. The Rubicon already comes with larger brakes than the Sport. Aftermarket big brake kits can add even more stopping power. They can cost up to $3000 per axle without installation, but there are cheaper options too.
Sponsored