BJG

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Have you considered just swapping in an open diff?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/standard-differential-kit-wrangler-jl-dana-44-rear-68401365AA

Install cost should be a lot cheaper than a gear change because the shop doesn't have to do pinion depth or pinion bearing preload. And if the open diff measures the same as your LSD, they don't have to do carrier shims or preload either. Literally just swap the ring gear over, press the bearings on, plop it back in, torque it down, you're done.
I have but i do wheel, and have actually seen how effective the LSD really is. Even my buddies were sometimes shocked how the LSD kicked in. So it's either limited slip or lockers I think.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BJG

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Your swapping the axle for just the clunk?

if you’re not touching the front axle, I’d just out a rear locker in the m220 and call it good. Only thing is it has to be a ARB air locker as thats the only company offering a locker for the rear m220 from sports.

going to a rubicon rear isn’t much of an upgrade of what you have. The real upgrade would be the front axle
Yes, I was hoping to go electric to avoid messing with the compressor but definitely an option. I have a Viair compressor that is hardwired but I would want to do something a little more legit if I start using it for the locker.

OP
OP
BJG

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Well for starter you can find those axles new at a lot better price. Second you might want to consider swapping out front and rear as others have mentioned instead of sinking money into the front so everything matches. If you can be patient these axles come up for sale used usually at a pretty reasonable price usually.

I went through the same thing on my sport with the rear end knock. I did the Rubi swap and never looked back. I'm on 35's now with stock 4:10 Rubi gears and am quite please with the performance (V6 w/auto). Swapping the axles is not hard, it's just a bunch of bolts. You don't need a lot of tools, just the right ones. Contrary to what the internet thinks, the Rubicon axles aren't that special and everything bolts up to the same brackets as a sport. They 1-1/2" wider and the brakes are different so you will have to open the hydraulics to swap calipers. The front hoses are different also so it's best to get new ones but some have said the sport ones can be made to work.

After I did the swap I pulled the cover on the original rear to see what the problem was. They have some issues going on there. It's almost like the side gears were loose on the axle shaft and flopping around. Ring and pinion were in perfect shape.

Here's a better deal on new ones:

https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-axle-assembly-rear-77072406

https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-axle-assembly-front-77072405
This is great info. Thank You. Do you know if the links you sent include the brakes and everything? If they don't, can you swap the current brakes and avoid the extra troubles with the brake lines?

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I was hoping to go electric to avoid messing with the compressor but definitely an option. I have a Viair compressor that is hardwired but I would want to do something a little more legit if I start using it for the locker.
im in the same boat as you.

im pretty happy with my jeep and 35s, the front axle isnt worth putting a locker in and id say its mostly safe with 35s

the rear would be nice to add a locker, was hoping OX would come out with something or Eaton would make it work with the different spline count on our sports.

Also same, would love rubicon axles but don’t love the cost associated with it

Reactions: BJG

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I've seen Rubicon take offs that sell for a fair amount considering lockers, 4.10's, and HD brakes. @ChattVol may be better answer some questions in this thread.

GL with your choice.

Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
This is great info. Thank You. Do you know if the links you sent include the brakes and everything? If they don't, can you swap the current brakes and avoid the extra troubles with the brake lines?
I don't know if they include the brakes but it's a Mopar part so it wouldn't be hard to find out. I think I read where someone swapped their sport brakes on but can't be 100% sure. You would probably need the caliper brackets too, not just the calipers and rotors.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome...

So how did you connect the lockers to the dashboard?
I did up a DIY switch panel on the dash that just activates a relay. The only sucky part is the the harness for the axles is only available as a Mopar part and they are $60 each.

Ea6l4PzVu_R3UixwpUdWcAn5HRpqbT3z5HGq0J5deRdj-Pwr5vg-Vgko7aUipvl67l2N-Eb4RaZpbp9djtg=w873-h656-no.jpg

OldBob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
The gearing is different as well as the axle width and brake hoses. I think it would be best to do the complete axle swap which is still a good deal in my opinion and will get rid of the issues we are having with the limited slip rear ends. Cheaper option is purchasing a open differential to install until a reasonably priced locker for these rear ends is introduced. The ARB is expensive ....
Consider a TrueTrac

skandyhere

First Name
Skanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S 6-Speed
I know this is from 3 years ago, but it would actually help to know if you finally did the swap on just the rear axle, and what your experience has been since.
Sponsored