Sponsored

Sport, Sport S or Sahara on 37's or larger

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
I'm thinking about buying a JLU Sport and want to put 37's on it with stock axles(for now). How is the gearing? Theoretically, with the lower first gear, an 8 speed auto is equivalent to a 4.56 axle ratio with the latest JK auto. JL 3.45x4.71=16.25 JK 3.59x4.56=16.37. Very close to the same drive ratio. I have compared JL axles side to side with JK. JL axles are much beefier.
Sponsored

Last edited:

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I have a Sport S w/out LSD (Dana 35R, Dana 30F), and with my 37s, it's not bad at all really. It's not as zippy as it was on the stock 32s, but it's still nice and quick if I need it to be. One thing about the 8-speed is its always switching gears it seems, but it always finds the right gear rather quickly. I would certainly drive it on the 37s, before you consider re-gearing. If I re-gear some day, it will be as part of an axle upgrade. I don't trust these smaller axles with this large of a tire and some off-road abuse).

OP
OP
rcr1340

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retail manager
37's on a Sport. Install Rubi fenders or cut the fenders. A friend of mine with JL cut the fenders and it looked great. Installed turn signal under headlight,

Mr. Beef Chief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I have a Sport S w/out LSD (Dana 35R, Dana 30F), and with my 37s, it's not bad at all really. It's not as zippy as it was on the stock 32s, but it's still nice and quick if I need it to be. One thing about the 8-speed is its always switching gears it seems, but it always finds the right gear rather quickly. I would certainly drive it on the 37s, before you consider re-gearing. If I re-gear some day, it will be as part of an axle upgrade. I don't trust these smaller axles with this large of a tire and some off-road abuse).
Are you running a mopar 2" lift with those 37s? Would love to see some pictures. I'm deciding between 35s and 37s with the mopar lift.

Sponsored

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Are you running a mopar 2" lift with those 37s? Would love to see some pictures. I'm deciding between 35s and 37s with the mopar lift.
I have the RC 3.5" coil lift with upgraded control arms and the modified front drive shaft. I am pretty sure it is a similar lift height to the Mopar 2" (3.5" for non-Rubicons). I would for sure go with 37s, no matter what. I barely rub at full turn with some good force coming out of a driveway or on a rock, and on one corner only. I have not gotten to full articulation, but I know it would hit somewhere I'm sure w/out upgrading my fenders (planned).

Here's some various pics to show the height and clearance - the pic on dirt was aired down to ~16psi.

I don't know the offset of my wheels, but I think it's really low, maybe -44ish, as my tires stick out past the fenders about 3-4".

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

Mr. Beef Chief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I have the RC 3.5" coil lift with upgraded control arms and the modified front drive shaft. I am pretty sure it is a similar lift height to the Mopar 2" (3.5" for non-Rubicons). I would for sure go with 37s, no matter what. I barely rub at full turn with some good force coming out of a driveway or on a rock, and on one corner only. I have not gotten to full articulation, but I know it would hit somewhere I'm sure w/out upgrading my fenders (planned).

Here's some various pics to show the height and clearance - the pic on dirt was aired down to ~16psi.

I don't know the offset of my wheels, but I think it's really low, maybe -44ish, as my tires stick out past the fenders about 3-4".

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg
That set up looks great Kevin.. I'm definitely leaning towards 37's just deciding between which lift to go with.

2 more questions for you.
- Which control arms did you add and what sort of modification did you make to the drive shaft?

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
That set up looks great Kevin.. I'm definitely leaning towards 37's just deciding between which lift to go with.

2 more questions for you.
- Which control arms did you add and what sort of modification did you make to the drive shaft?
The kit I got included new adjustable control arms and an adjustable track bar. It was kind of expensive ($1299), but it included everything.
In hindsight, I might have pieced my own kit together, with some maybe better components, but it would be hard to get the geometry right, so having the whole kit was nice.

Mr. Beef Chief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
The kit I got included new adjustable control arms and an adjustable track bar. It was kind of expensive ($1299), but it included everything.
In hindsight, I might have pieced my own kit together, with some maybe better components, but it would be hard to get the geometry right, so having the whole kit was nice.
Very nice, and your performance, what sort of hit has it taken? Have you re geared yet, what are your thoughts on that?

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Very nice, and your performance, what sort of hit has it taken? Have you re geared yet, what are your thoughts on that?
Oh sorry, man it's not as zippy as it was on 32s, but you can barely tell tbh. The thing gets up and goes, every time. 3.6L with 8spd auto.

Sponsored

Mr. Beef Chief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Oh sorry, man it's not as zippy as it was on 32s, but you can barely tell tbh. The thing gets up and goes, every time. 3.6L with 8spd auto.
Sounds about right. I've heard it feels like pulling a small trailer behind the jeep.

Another question, are you running the tailgate reinforcement kit to support your spare?

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Sounds about right. I've heard it feels like pulling a small trailer behind the jeep.

Another question, are you running the tailgate reinforcement kit to support your spare?
Yeah but it gets up and goes still. Would be like maybe an empty trailer. :cwl:

I did install the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit along with the spare tire relocation kit and CHMSL relocation kit - all 3 from Mopar - I like how it looks and it seems to be fine although I'm sure you'd be fine w/out it for a while at least.

OP
OP
rcr1340

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retail manager
It has been a month since the last response. Has to be more Sports/Saharas with 37"+

Mr. Beef Chief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
- Terafelx 4.5" Lift w/ Falcon 3.3 Piggyback Shocks
- Upgraded from Patagonia Milestar 33s to 37s (measured out they sit at 36")

Before:
IMG_7751.jpg

After:
IMG_7752.jpg

IMG_7759.jpg
IMG_7834.jpg
IMG_7841.jpg

OP
OP
rcr1340

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retail manager
- Terafelx 4.5" Lift w/ Falcon 3.3 Piggyback Shocks
- Upgraded from Patagonia Milestar 33s to 37s (measured out they sit at 36")

Before:
IMG_7751.jpg

After:
IMG_7752.jpg

IMG_7759.jpg
IMG_7834.jpg
IMG_7841.jpg
How does it drive? The 8 speed is awesome and should make a 37 very workable
Sponsored