Sponsored

sport s with these options or rubicon?

stiks511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
land rover discovery sport
OK. here goes... I don't need a rubicon. I live in LA where i mostly haul dogs around for my dog walking business with some potential fairly light off roading. That said, I like the Rubicon, but am having a hard time justifying the price step up for vanity. So... my new idea is to try to configure a Sport S with the following options to see just what the price difference would be.
2020 Wrangler Sport S 4 door
8 speed Automatic
Anti slip diff (does this auto make me do the wheel tire change?)
Black 3 piece freedom top
Package 24S
7 inch radio group
Alpine audio (i'm assuming this is a different order from the radio group)
Cold Weather Package (most likely)
Leather Seats - unless someone can convince me the cloth is ok for dogs
All weather floor mats
Undecided about the LED lights and any safety groups
ALSO - i'd want to trade out the stock wheels and tires for Rubicon black wheels and maybe the BSW MT tires before it left the dealer (not sure if that's possible or price for that?)
I REALLY really hate that I can't get the Proximity keyless entry - as in it's almost a deal breaker for me bc I am in and out of my car 7-10 times a day with hands full.

What are your thoughts? I tried going through the order guide and jeep.com configurator but I just make myself more confused.
To add more to it, I thought about leasing a higher priced Rubicon versus buying a Sport S. Yeah I'm a terrible decision maker and overthink it all. Thanks! I totally appreciate any help/advice.
Sponsored

Bucaro

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Kia Sportage, MB GLS 550
What is the price difference between the two options?

OP
OP

stiks511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the price difference between the two options?
that's part of my problem - i can't seem to come up with fairly accurate pricing (my fault I'm sure bc i'm not confident with what goes with what) but here's an example of the sport S and Rubicon (but like I said I don't know if my combos go together or if one selection needs another)

Attachments

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
When I was shopping for mine, I compared the Sport S and the Sahara, I ended up going Sahara (cloth seats, cold weather, hardtop).
Anyway, one thing that I didn't even think about, but regret not looking for is the proximity keyless entry, it would be the top of my list if/when I were to buy again.
- The key fob is huge, and you have to take it out to unlock the door, only to not need it to start the Jeep, it's just plain silly. If the car is push button start, make the locks proximity based! (Back down off my soapbox!)

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Cold Weather Package? skip, your in LA
Leather, skip, dogs will destroy leather, get bartact covers over the cloth
alpine, skip, upgrade speakers yourself

LSD rear options lets you change to AT tires and is a good option for the cost

Leather and Alpine groups are HUGE pricetag options and not worth it IMO

Sponsored

OP
OP

stiks511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I was shopping for mine, I compared the Sport S and the Sahara, I ended up going Sahara (cloth seats, cold weather, hardtop).
Anyway, one thing that I didn't even think about, but regret not looking for is the proximity keyless entry, it would be the top of my list if/when I were to buy again.
- The key fob is huge, and you have to take it out to unlock the door, only to not need it to start the Jeep, it's just plain silly. If the car is push button start, make the locks proximity based! (Back down off my soapbox!)
I hear ya! I can’t believe they don’t offer it as an option on the Sport S. And It should be standard on the rubicon at least. But is it worth a many thousands of dollars upgrade to the rubicon for it? No, but yes.

OP
OP

stiks511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cold Weather Package? skip, your in LA
Leather, skip, dogs will destroy leather, get bartact covers over the cloth
alpine, skip, upgrade speakers yourself

LSD rear options lets you change to AT tires and is a good option for the cost

Leather and Alpine groups are HUGE pricetag options and not worth it IMO
But those heated seats are so nice for an early morning drive to a run or dog hike :). Seriously tho, could I live without them, sure. But I’m used to them. Oddly I don’t use the seat a/c I have now nearly as often as I should in LA. I keep forgetting it’s there.

And the leather, i’d Like to not want the leather for several reasons but the leather I’ve jad in cars so far has held up. And aren’t there other things that go along with the leather seats?

Def want to throw rubi wheels and tires on if it’s an S - is that possible at the dealer end? One dealer said they usually have some sitting around.

Just trying to gauge what’s a doable price difference to justify the rubicon.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Similar boat to me, I was going back and forth and finally decided to go with the JLUR. If I got the JLUS+, I wasn't going to not get the technology package for the 7 inch screen and the rest of that and at a minimum I wanted the LSD, neither of which I'd have to get with the JLUR. At invoice pricing that's about $1400 and the difference in price between a JLUS+ and a JLUR is 7k. So really its about $5,600 in difference for larger tires, the higher fenders, upgraded axle, lockers, and the 4.10 gears. To me that's totally worth it, I like the look better and even though it will mostly be a DD, I want the ability to take it even more places with confidence than I would in a JLUS+. My order goes in tomorrow from Criswell, their pricing made the hit for the Rubi seem less!

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L
I went Sport S 3.6 auto, basically as you listed minus the leather and Alpine. I saved thousands, that TBT will be spent moding it to what I like not what a Rubi comes with. They are nice and do have lots I like, I just couldn't justify it. You do you, you'll be glad you did.

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
The Rubicon is way cooler IMO, also I drive a fully loaded car and truck now, so stepping down in technology is not a consideration. If I am going to spend 50K+ on a vehicle, you bet your ass it's going to be loaded. Once FCA figures out how my dealer can place an order, I want the 8.4 & Advanced Safety group, I will be ordering a 2 door Rubicon.

Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I priced out a Rubi with just the premium soft top, and a sport s with the upgrades that make as close to Rubi as possible, and it was a $5,000 difference. Subtract $1,000 for the wheels that you want, and it’s only $4,000 more for your situation.

Other Rubi benefits: You’ll be running larger tires, so the 4.10 gears will benefit you. You’ll future proof yourself by already having a front locker and a more capable off road vehicle.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Bought a Sport S kind of like you are talking about. A similarly equipped Rubi would've been $6,000 more with tax, title, license.

I upgraded the wheels and tires to Rubi takeoffs for net $500 ($800 for the set, then sold my stock ones for $300).
I have a set of Rubi takeoff suspension sitting in the garage I bought for $80. Will get installed for $400
Just have to be patient and watch craigslist.

So for $5,000 less I get a Rubi look. I love it and I don't need a rock crawler. Nor do I plan to go to 35's.
It all depends on what you want and if $5,000 is meaningful to you. If $5,000 is just something you spend without thinking, then the Rubi is a no-brainer.
But for me, that's a lot of money. My Jeep is paid off and I have that $5k that's been growing for the last year in my investment account for upcoming college expenses.
If you think you're going to go 35's ever, buy a Rubi. No question. The gearing will be way better.
If you know you're going to rock crawl, get the Rubi.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
A vote for the cold weather package. Winter, driving on PCH early am, top off, you won’t regret the option.

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Get the rubi you will always regret you didn’t. Don’t live with regrets lol

Cure4Jen

First Name
Jen & Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
OK. here goes... I don't need a rubicon. I live in LA where i mostly haul dogs around for my dog walking business with some potential fairly light off roading. That said, I like the Rubicon, but am having a hard time justifying the price step up for vanity. So... my new idea is to try to configure a Sport S with the following options to see just what the price difference would be.
2020 Wrangler Sport S 4 door
8 speed Automatic
Anti slip diff (does this auto make me do the wheel tire change?)
Black 3 piece freedom top
Package 24S
7 inch radio group
Alpine audio (i'm assuming this is a different order from the radio group)
Cold Weather Package (most likely)
Leather Seats - unless someone can convince me the cloth is ok for dogs
All weather floor mats
Undecided about the LED lights and any safety groups
ALSO - i'd want to trade out the stock wheels and tires for Rubicon black wheels and maybe the BSW MT tires before it left the dealer (not sure if that's possible or price for that?)
I REALLY really hate that I can't get the Proximity keyless entry - as in it's almost a deal breaker for me bc I am in and out of my car 7-10 times a day with hands full.

What are your thoughts? I tried going through the order guide and jeep.com configurator but I just make myself more confused.
To add more to it, I thought about leasing a higher priced Rubicon versus buying a Sport S. Yeah I'm a terrible decision maker and overthink it all. Thanks! I totally appreciate any help/advice.
I've had Kryptek ballistic canvas seat covers by coverking purchased through auto anything in my Xterra since 2013 and I have a service dog who I need to come with me everywhere. He also loves to swim, boat launch dock dive, and water fetch for fun. The seat covers haven't needed anything but a spot clean with water. I use a "Fur-Zoff" Pet Hair Remover I got on Amazon (they also have at car wash). It's basically a pumice stone with edges sanded round to gather fur and doesn't mark or do anything to the seat covers. I just placed an order for a Sport S with cold weather package and will be getting the same covers for my jeep as they can be used with heated seats.
Sponsored