Sponsored

Sport S vs Sahara vs Sahara Alt. What am I missing?

OP
OP

Darcer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Accord
I wouldn't go with the LED package unless the $1500 is inconsequential to you. I added LED bulbs to wife's stock headlights / fogs and they are bright as heck. Cost me about $90 for headlights and fogs on Amazon and they are brighter than the factory LED setup. I do like the look of the factory LED lights, but not at that price.
This is interesting. I will have to read up more on this.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Darcer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Accord
Yes, the LEDā€™s are a MUST! Go with the Sahara, forget the sport. The saharas for 2022ā€™s all come standard with the premium 8.4ā€ Alpine audio now which is killer! Full-time 4wd is ā€œehā€ in my opinion, itā€™s nice but I wouldnā€™t bother to pay for it, Iā€™d shift it into 4wd myself

The shifting thing makes sense. As for the nicer stereo, I thought the sun and sound package added to the Sport S has that (but I don't know for sure).

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
This is interesting. I will have to read up more on this.
I would not do what he did, if you can afford the LED package, definitely get it.
You are going to blind the hell out of drivers doing it his way as the halogen headlight housing do not have the proper reflector/projectors for the correct beam pattern when you change to a different type of bulb (LED/HID).

This is why you see the old cars blinding the crap out of you when they install HID kits because the light is scattered everywhere.

RLC2020

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
I would not do what he did, if you can afford the LED package, definitely get it.
You are going to blind the hell out of drivers doing it his way as the halogen headlight housing do not have the proper reflector/projectors for the correct beam pattern when you change to a different type of bulb (LED/HID).

This is why you see the old cars blinding the crap out of you when they install HID kits because the light is scattered everywhere.
If you angle the headlights down a tiny bit then they don't blind anyone. Properly adjusted, they are no different than the factory LED lights. The problem is that when most people put brighter bulbs in they are angled way up.

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
If you angle the headlights down a tiny bit then they don't blind anyone. Properly adjusted, they are no different than the factory LED lights. The problem is that when most people put brighter bulbs in they are angled way up.
You will get much more efficient light output on a setup made for LED or HID with proper projector headlight housing. You will get less light waste and a nice cutoff beam pattern that does not blind drivers (when aimed correctly). This is why if you have the funds, get the factory LED package, or buy proper aftermarket LED headlights (not bulbs).

Just my 2 cents from a headlight geek from the import tuner car scene who loves sharp and colorful cutoff beam patterns.
I wish the OEM jeep headlight housing had enough room for me to retrofit a fat bi-xenon projector in there so I can get a colorful cutoff like this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S vs Sahara vs Sahara Alt. What am I missing? 1637787903931

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
The Sahara Altitude includes some items like body-colored hard top with the hard top liner standard vs the Sahara with the black hard top & no liner. The LED light pkg is a must as others have said and is not even close to adding led light bulbs to the stock head lights. ā€œBrightnessā€ is not the only, or most important attribute to head lights. The halogen housings are not designed to properly disperse LED light. Spend the money and do it right.

The cold-weather group with remote start is very nice to have. I donā€™t really care about the proximity entry, we have it on my wifeā€™s ā€˜20 Grand Cherokee, but how hard is it to hit the button on the fob?

The trailer tow group is something that is better from the factory vs trying to add all the components after the fact.

Our ā€˜22 Sahara Altitude will be our 5th Wrangler, and our order includes:
Dual top group
Cold-weather group w/remote start
LED lighting group
Tow group
Premium Nav audio group - which is now standard for ā€˜22.
Thatā€™s pretty much all we need, and our uses sound pretty close to how the OP plans to use theirs.

Deleted member 59498

Proximity, 8.4 is standard on Rubicon and other upper trims now? I think I read that correctly.

OP
OP

Darcer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Accord
The Sahara Altitude includes some items like body-colored hard top with the hard top liner standard vs the Sahara with the black hard top & no liner. The LED light pkg is a must as others have said and is not even close to adding led light bulbs to the stock head lights. ā€œBrightnessā€ is not the only, or most important attribute to head lights. The halogen housings are not designed to properly disperse LED light. Spend the money and do it right.

The cold-weather group with remote start is very nice to have. I donā€™t really care about the proximity entry, we have it on my wifeā€™s ā€˜20 Grand Cherokee, but how hard is it to hit the button on the fob?

The trailer tow group is something that is better from the factory vs trying to add all the components after the fact.

Our ā€˜22 Sahara Altitude will be our 5th Wrangler, and our order includes:
Dual top group
Cold-weather group w/remote start
LED lighting group
Tow group
Premium Nav audio group - which is now standard for ā€˜22.
Thatā€™s pretty much all we need, and our uses sound pretty close to how the OP plans to use theirs.
Seems like a similar build, why are you not getting the safety package. I think that is one of the few things I had checked from reading the forum that you donā€™t.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Seems like a similar build, why are you not getting the safety package. I think that is one of the few things I had checked from reading the forum that you donā€™t.
We have all the advanced safety pkgs on our Grand Cherokee and set nearly all the features to off. If the side mirrors are adjusted correctly there are no blinds spots, so that alert is unnecessary. Donā€™t need emergency brake assist, and Iā€™m not sold on Jeepā€™s adaptive cruise control yet, our GC seems to have some hiccups from time to time.

kenp1985

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
I donā€™t see enough value in Safety or Advanced safety packages. Also, Iā€™d rather have the advantage of factory everything for the warranty so the LEDā€™s are a no brainer for me. Definitely get the tow pkg too.

As far as the trims I shopped them to death when I ordered my 21ā€™ Willys (not Willys sport)
Upgraded brakes, sliders, Sahara bumper, Rubicon suspension, standard LED headlights and blacked out Rubicon wheels. Initially wanted the Sahara but ultimately ordered the Willyā€™s and have zero regrets.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Darcer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Accord
Thanks for all the suggestions in here. Probably will remove safety packages, keep LEDs, add trailer, full time 4wd still debating.

Iā€™m for sure keeping sky one touch, but understand arguments against. Everyone I know that has it, likes it.

I will run the spreadsheets again. Think altitude is likely to win. Not a cheap vehicle but I will keep a long time. Had my accord for 15 years, hopefully Jeep can go as long.

kenp1985

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the suggestions in here. Probably will remove safety packages, keep LEDs, add trailer, full time 4wd still debating.

Iā€™m for sure keeping sky one touch, but understand arguments against. Everyone I know that has it, likes it.

I will run the spreadsheets again. Think altitude is likely to win. Not a cheap vehicle but I will keep a long time. Had my accord for 15 years, hopefully Jeep can go as long.
As long as you are happy w your decision that's all that matters. Best of luck

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
+1 for tow package. I just installed my mopar wiring harness it was a pita and I still dont have the bigger alternator. I dont really care for "offroad(?)" Lights so the aux switches are meh to me, but you could hook other than lights to them.

If you dont get the willys add the anti spin differential. Why? Gives you a dana 44 rear axle and a limited slip on the rear. For about $500 it is a steal.

OP
OP

Darcer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Accord
+1 for tow package. I just installed my mopar wiring harness it was a pita and I still dont have the bigger alternator. I dont really care for "offroad(?)" Lights so the aux switches are meh to me, but you could hook other than lights to them.

If you dont get the willys add the anti spin differential. Why? Gives you a dana 44 rear axle and a limited slip on the rear. For about $500 it is a steal.
I think I need to get the anti spin diff to add the full time 4wd, does that sound right? Just want to make sure weā€™re talking about the same thing and that Iā€™m not missing something.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I think I need to get the anti spin diff to add the full time 4wd, does that sound right? Just want to make sure weā€™re talking about the same thing and that Iā€™m not missing something.
I got the anti spin differential with the regular transfer case. Part time 4WD. I dont have 4WD auto. You shouldnt need the 4WS auto unless they changed the rules for 2022.

Oh but you are asking the other way around. i am not sure. But definitely get the anti spin.
Sponsored