Sponsored

Sport S sag after front bumper - help greatly appreciated

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Hey guys - pretty clueless in this area, so sorry for the potentially simple/redundant question.

I have a 4-door Sport S. Just installed LOD Signature mid-width front bumper. Sagging close to an inch in the front after install, and that's before I put in a winch in (maybe over the summer).

Been trying to do research to not have to make a post like this, but figured I'll throw it out there and see if anyone takes pity on me. I really just want to correct the sag, but a mild lift in the process wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. The more I think about it, the more I think I would like a little bit of a lift, but nothing crazy. My wife would kill me (ha) and my daughter is only 7 months old, so I'm not at the point in my life where I want my jeep to be a monster truck.

I've read that spacer lifts are the simplest, and I've seen some of those kits around 200-300 bucks, which is obviously tempting. But some have said they really mess up your ride, and Rough Country in particular seems to catch flack for their spacer kit. Coils seem to be the way to go if I don't need rock crawling ability, but what are the downsides? (The offroading around me is mostly "mudding" and forest trails - I also do oversand in the summer, not beach but really deep sand around inland marshes and stuff).

And then some people talk about putting "Rubi suspension" in their Sport - what does that even mean, and would that be enough to correct the sag and get a slight lift? Does that just mean putting in tougher Rubi coils that don't droop as much? As is true for lots, my jeep will still be on the road most of the time, so I need something that's not going to kill my road ride.
Sponsored

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
The problem you will have with a spacer lift is that the spacers will sit on top of the coils you already have. So if you lift front and rear then you will still have droop in the front because you haven’t changed the component that is causing the droop (the lower weight rated coils).
If you just wanted to use shorter spacers on the front to level things back out then that could help.
A lot of the spring lifts are designed to handle the extra weight of accessories like bumpers and gear. As you pointed out they aren’t all created equal though. Rough country just makes piss poor cheap stuff, there are “nicer” more premium brands that really aren’t that much better so dig deep and do your research before you go this route.
The better all around spring kits I’ve handled are aev, teraflex and metalcloak.

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
If it were me, I'd find some Rubicon takeoff shocks and springs. If it sags too much after that, I'd add a 1/2-3/4" spring spacer up front to bring the front end back up. It may not sag as much with the Rubicon springs.

OP
OP

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
If it were me, I'd find some Rubicon takeoff shocks and springs. If it sags too much after that, I'd add a 1/2-3/4" spring spacer up front to bring the front end back up. It may not sag as much with the Rubicon springs.
Ok - is it possible to buy the Rubi stuff or would I only be able to find them as takeoffs?

Edit: I see a guy in the suspension for sale forum saying that all the Rubi suspension stuff is worthless because it's going to be recalled soon. Never heard anything along those lines?

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Ok - is it possible to buy the Rubi stuff or would I only be able to find them as takeoffs?
You can but why pay dealer prices when finding a used set is pretty easy to do? It should only cost you about $200-250. Check the classified here. They're always up for sale. I'm not sure exactly how much lift you'll get on a sport but that info is also readily available on this sight. I think I saw one post where someone got 1.75" of lift.
Sponsored