First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Military
I am torn between a better equipped Sport S and a base Rubicon. Though I don't do much off-roading except working in the fields on our farm (currently have a Chevy Colorado Z71 that does everything well, but its not a jeep), I do want the option in my future. Is there something I'm missing or should I just pay the extra 7K to get the Rubicon? Advice please...
Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The question you are asking is something only you can decide. For the same money do you want comfort or ability?

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
Get the Alpine stereo, either with the infotainment group or by itself. Also, if you get a soft top, get the upgraded soft top, it is worth it.

Otherwise it's up to you. The rubi is a monster compared to base sport, even moreso compared to older YJ, TJ, JK sports. That is before you mod it even more, if you even need to.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
From what you’ve said, if it were me, the Sport S is the way to go.

You don’t need swaybar disconnects, 4:10 gears, E-Lockers, etc. so don’t get them. The Sport S is still a very capable vehicle.

Just make sure you’re OK with the reduced towing capacity. The JL only tows a max of 3500lbs. Much less that your Colorado.

OP
OP
PAFarmBoy

PAFarmBoy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
The question you are asking is something only you can decide. For the same money do you want comfort or ability?
I suppose it boils down to the fact that I want the locking diff and sway bar disconnect, but is that worth the extra price.

Sponsored

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You don’t need swaybar disconnects, 4:10 gears, E-Lockers, etc. so don’t get them. The Sport S is still a very capable vehicle.

Just make sure you’re OK with the reduced towing capacity. The JL only tows a max of 3500lbs. Much less that your Colorado.
The JLU tows 3500, the JL only tows 2000, even if Rubi. The wheelbase limits your tow, due to the moment formed from the hitch to the rear wheel contact patch.

OP
OP
PAFarmBoy

PAFarmBoy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military

Thanks. i will be keeping the Colorado. It's too good of a vehicle, especially since I bit the bullet and bought the diesel version. You are right about the towing, 7700 lbs.

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suppose it boils down to the fact that I want the locking diff and sway bar disconnect, but is that worth the extra price.
Costs a lot to add later, also the Rubi has the highline fender, 150w power inverter, etc. That said you might wind up upgrading the swaybar disconnect and front axel, due to the FAD, but still. The Rubi comes packed with everything you need to get started.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If you are a DIY guy you can put in front and rear lockers for 1500 give or take. Manual sway bar disconnect for another couple hundred.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Having one of each in the driveway, they each have their advantages. The locking diff’s and sway bar disconnect only works in 4low (I know a tazer can change this). I saved a ton of money on the sport and still got the convenience features I wanted. Rubi shocks and springs are cheap and plentiful, check the member forums, I put Rubi suspension, tires and wheels and rock rails on for $800. The only option I should have got on the sport is the auto trans that the Rubicon has.

There is not a wrong choice, just get what you want.
HTH
Gregj

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, I got the Sport as a 2018 to avoid the complex BSG system that is on the 2019 with the v6. The Rubicon is a turbo four and the engine bay is Full of complex electrical stuff. Kept it simple on the Sport, v6 six speed, lsd and tow package to get the 240 amp alt.

Gregj

krucam

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra, 2019 JLR ordered 12/22/2018
Occupation
FAA
Also, I got the Sport as a 2018 to avoid the complex BSG system that is on the 2019 with the v6. The Rubicon is a turbo four and the engine bay is Full of complex electrical stuff. Kept it simple on the Sport, v6 six speed, lsd and tow package to get the 240 amp alt.

Gregj
The ‘19 V6 doesn’t have a BSG...

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

Gregj
The Rubicon isn’t only a turbo-4. I ordered mine with a V6 and MT (and BSG is not available yet).

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow reading comprehension is key. Clearly I started the conversation with the TWO Jeeps in MY driveway. The Rubicon I own is a four cylinder turbo. I did not say All Rubicons are four cylinder turbos. The op is looking for advice on which to choose, having one of each I think I have a unique view on the subject.
I’m out.
Gregj
Sponsored