multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Wow reading comprehension is key. Clearly I started the conversation with the TWO Jeeps in MY driveway. The Rubicon I own is a four cylinder turbo. I did not say All Rubicons are four cylinder turbos. The op is looking for advice on which to choose, having one of each I think I have a unique view on the subject.
Iā€™m out.
Gregj
Oh sorry, I guess you not knowing that the ā€˜19 V6s don't have BSG threw me off.
Sponsored

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
If you are financing check the interest rates. The interest rates on Saharas and Rubicons are lower than Sport models. I was able to get a $4K more expensive Sahara for the same price as financing a Sport S.

Resale value affects interest rates in financing.

*Edit* By same price, I mean same monthly payment over the same number of months, not total dollar value of the loan.

Last edited:

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
At the end of the day.....or resale.....a sport with mods is a sport. Adding lockers etc yourself in the garage will NOT entice buyers, quite the opposite.

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
i started out looking into a 2 door sport, but ended up ordering a 2 door base rubicon for only a couple grand more before i added tow package, led lights and steel bumpers as a last minute option.
couldn't be any happier, i'm actually glad i went for the rubicon.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

If you are financing check the interest rates. The interest rates on Saharas and Rubicons are lower than Sport models. I was able to get a $4K more expensive Sahara for the same price as financing a Sport S.

Resale value affects interest rates in financing.

*Edit* By same price, I mean same monthly payment over the same number of months, not total dollar value of the loan.
I got 2% on my sport. Came with our own pre-approved credit union loan. Ive never been offered a better interest rate when looking at different trim levels. Maybe if leasing

Went wheeling with jeep group yesterday. Brand new rubis disco kept freaking out. Off and on by itself.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I got 2% on my sport. Came with our own pre-approved credit union loan. Ive never been offered a better interest rate when looking at different trim levels. Maybe if leasing

Went wheeling with jeep group yesterday. Brand new rubis disco kept freaking out. Off and on by itself.
Sports have the best residuals on leases. Base Sport 4 Door is the best.

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
So what I did was I got an awesome deal on a Sport S and used the 15K that it would have cost to buy the rubi and put it into upgrades like MC 3.5 in lift, Hauk bumpers and rails custom powder coated, LED halo lights and a warn nice winch.
I didn't care about resale because i'm keeping this baby forever.
I just felt like I didn't need lots of bells and whistles and a lot of the upgrades that come with a rubi I would replace with bigger aftermarket stuff.
The one key thing with the rubi are the heavy duty axles but I live in florida, not Colorado, so I think my axles are fine.

20190311_080802.jpg

20190405_081544.jpg

Jp (3).jpg

Jp2.jpg

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I am torn between a better equipped Sport S and a base Rubicon. Though I don't do much off-roading except working in the fields on our farm (currently have a Chevy Colorado Z71 that does everything well, but its not a jeep), I do want the option in my future. Is there something I'm missing or should I just pay the extra 7K to get the Rubicon? Advice please...
In all my vehicle purchases the ONLY time I've regretted it is when I don't get the things I want. When we got out Wrangler both lockers and sway bar disco were must haves, and I didn't want to go aftermarket. So the Rubicon was the only choice for us.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Sport... great Jeep and very capable even w/o mods.

Given that you're even asking this question, I presume that you can financially handle either choice.... so I say go big or go home... get the Rubicon! :like:

OP
OP
PAFarmBoy

PAFarmBoy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Military
So what I did was I got an awesome deal on a Sport S and used the 15K that it would have cost to buy the rubi and put it into upgrades like MC 3.5 in lift, Hauk bumpers and rails custom powder coated, LED halo lights and a warn nice winch.
I didn't care about resale because i'm keeping this baby forever.
I just felt like I didn't need lots of bells and whistles and a lot of the upgrades that come with a rubi I would replace with bigger aftermarket stuff.
The one key thing with the rubi are the heavy duty axles but I live in florida, not Colorado, so I think my axles are fine.

20190311_080802.jpg

20190405_081544.jpg

Jp (3).jpg

Jp2.jpg
You did well. This is why I asked the question originally. Your JL looks great and anyone would be proud to call it theirs. Though I am not in Colorado, we do have some pretty good hills in PA, especially the northern tier where I call home when I retire. Like you, I plan to keep my Jeep until I die. At worst in about twenty years or so, it will become a dependable farm vehicle that can still do the job in fields back home.

OP
OP
PAFarmBoy

PAFarmBoy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
In all my vehicle purchases the ONLY time I've regretted it is when I don't get the things I want. When we got out Wrangler both lockers and sway bar disco were must haves, and I didn't want to go aftermarket. So the Rubicon was the only choice for us.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Sport... great Jeep and very capable even w/o mods.

Given that you're even asking this question, I presume that you can financially handle either choice.... so I say go big or go home... get the Rubicon! :like:
I am starting to think that way. My buddy has a Rubi and he is my "inspiration" so to speak. Though his is a 2013, it still looks great and like most Jeep folk, he takes very good care of his vehicle. Jeep is like no other vehicle in that people tend to take good care of them and though they may take them through the ringer from time to time, they still clean them up and are constantly tinkering to make them better. i will probably go with the Rubi and frankly, if I do end up keeping it for the rest of my life, which is the current plan, it will actually be work the extra money spent at the beginning.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
i will probably go with the Rubi and frankly, if I do end up keeping it for the rest of my life, which is the current plan, it will actually be work the extra money spent at the beginning.
Our plan is to keep the Jeep until the wheels fall off (or the Lifetime warranty expires). But the great thing about Wranglers is if the wheels DO fall off... that's just an excuse to get new ones!!!

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
You did well. This is why I asked the question originally. Your JL looks great and anyone would be proud to call it theirs. Though I am not in Colorado, we do have some pretty good hills in PA, especially the northern tier where I call home when I retire. Like you, I plan to keep my Jeep until I die. At worst in about twenty years or so, it will become a dependable farm vehicle that can still do the job in fields back home.
Hey thank you! She's my pride and joy. After these tires wear out I'm regearing and getting 38 in wheels.
So how are you maybe getting a rubi for only 7k extra? I paid 40k out the door for my sport S. The cheapest Rubi I have seen was 52 or 54k before fees so they are usually like 15k more than a sport.

OP
OP
PAFarmBoy

PAFarmBoy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Hey thank you! She's my pride and joy. After these tires wear out I'm regearing and getting 38 in wheels.
So how are you maybe getting a rubi for only 7k extra? I paid 40k out the door for my sport S. The cheapest Rubi I have seen was 52 or 54k before fees so they are usually like 15k more than a sport.
I have been pricing them through military auto source. The pricing is not much better than through a normal Jeep dealer (on a few hundred dollars to be exact), but I priced a well equipped Sport S and a pretty stripped down Rubi and the difference was only about 7K. Actually, 54K would buy my dream Rubi (stock loaded with some exceptions). Granted, I want to change the stock plastic bumper with a Rugged Ridge Spartacus/Spartan, front and rear; put on a Smittybilt 10K winch; might get 35s; the skies the limit. That is what I love about Jeep. Everybody is proud of their vehicle and everyone else is always appreciative of the effort other folks put into their rides.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just from my knothole, I wanted to get a Jeep that I didn't have to do extensive/expensive mods to, in order to use it the way I had intended. Mods are cash on the barrel head purchases. My 4 dr Rubicon is financed (because I can make more money with the $50k than the interest paid) and I have a relatively small monthly payment with fewer large cash modifications. For example, I'm not changing wheels/tires until these wear out. My mods are currently in the direction of a towing setup with a winch and some easier entry for my wife.

One thing the OP might consider is whether you'll put tires on larger than 35"s. If so, the Rubicon choice gets you stronger Dana 44 axles as well as the locker/swaybar discos. It's not just about the stronger gears and axle shafts, it's also a matter of housing strength to counter the added bending stress loads from the larger tires.

wriver82

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Red JLUR
Ended up going with the JLRU, when I was shopping I priced out a Sport S, built it the way I wanted it and MSRP came to 44970, I then priced out a lift I wanted with new wheels and 33's which came out to approx. 5 to 6 thousand. With the Rubi build it came to 50970 and really don't plan to do anything to it. So did I really need some of the extras on Rubi ( Higher gearing, led's, disconnects, lockers, etc) probably not but that's an added bonus, so for the price difference of only a thousand or so I got the Jeep I wanted already built the way I wanted it. Just my two cents.
Sponsored