Sponsored

Sport S on TeraFlex 1.5" level/spacer kit

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Had the new 1.5" Teraflex leveling spacer kit installed on the JLU Sport S. I felt that there wasn't quite enough room for the tires with having the 33" KO2s on there, especially when people, full tank, and week-long trip gear was loaded into the jeep. The spacer installed is here:

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5b6331a456d70ed493a48728

Overall, the jeep feels taller, though a little more "floaty". I think that is because the spacer kit does not include shock extensions or sway bar link extensions - only the spring coil spacer pucks. I think the stock shocks might be too soft when extended out another 1.5-2". I may replace those soon. The steering also feels more loose when compared to stock. But the jeep looks more like a jeep, clearance at the transfer case skid (lowest point, I think, besides the diffs) is close to 12" now, rock rails have 18" clearance, and the wheel wells leave a lot more room for the suspension to flex more. Will hopefully get it off road in the next couple of weeks to see how it goes. Below are before/after shots. It gains a true 1.5" in back and 2" in front.

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8869.jpg
Sponsored

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Had the new 1.5" Teraflex leveling spacer kit installed on the JLU Sport S. I felt that there wasn't quite enough room for the tires with having the 33" KO2s on there, especially when people, full tank, and week-long trip gear was loaded into the jeep. The spacer installed is here:

Overall, the jeep feels taller, though a little more "floaty". I think that is because the spacer kit does not include shock extensions or sway bar link extensions - only the spring coil spacer pucks. I think the stock shocks might be too soft when extended out another 1.5-2". I may replace those soon. The steering also feels more loose when compared to stock. But the jeep looks more like a jeep, clearance at the transfer case skid (lowest point, I think, besides the diffs) is close to 12" now, rock rails have 18" clearance, and the wheel wells leave a lot more room for the suspension to flex more. Will hopefully get it off road in the next couple of weeks to see how it goes. Below are before/after shots. It gains a true 1.5" in back and 2" in front.

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8869.jpg
Any update on this leveling kit. I'm thinking about installing this on my wife's JLU with some 33s

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Get better and longer shocks. With bigger tires you will need a bit more control than stock.
I changed to RS5000X and noticed the slight flubber when hitting RR tracks and bridge seams is gone and a slightly firmer ride yet not harsh.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
That's what I was thinking. Maybe checking out some rubicon shocks, can find them cheap.

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
It has been great so far. The ride feels pretty good, off road it does really well and the clearance helped a lot, maybe more for comfort in knowing that driving over some steps I would clear them more easily. Going around curves in the road feels fine - not as floaty as I once thought right after the install. I did get a set or rubi shocks for cheap that I'm still thinking of throwing on, just so they are more spec'd to that added 1.5" than the stock sport, but haven't gotten to that point yet. Overall I am happy with it and glad I had this installed. The only other option I may have considered other than this is just to do a full rubi suspension install (shocks and springs).

Any update on this leveling kit. I'm thinking about installing this on my wife's JLU with some 33s

Sponsored

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your write up. I’m putting on same kit next Wednesday. I have the JKS swaybar disconnects that have an adjustable length and adding Fox shocks. Will post on the ride also.

namodei

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Sales Engineer

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8869.jpg
Looks great! I was thinking of doing the same..i don't want too much lift and don't want to run 35's. Can I ask how you got your mud flaps to fit with the rock rails?

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Looks great! I was thinking of doing the same..i don't want too much lift and don't want to run 35's. Can I ask how you got your mud flaps to fit with the rock rails?
I just cut a hole in the mudflaps using a dremel tool to match up where the rock rails hit them. I have seen others cut the rock rails, but the mud flaps are $20, and they are going to get trashed if ever going over larger rocks/boulders, so I had no issue with cutting a hole in them. the rock rails cost a lot more and didn't want to spend the time/effort to cut those down. The goal was just to keep the rear fender flares and the door hinges from getting wrecked with rocks being thrown by the tires. These have helped a little mostly with the hinges, but the bottom of the rear fenders are still getting beat up by smaller gravel.

I would say the 1.5" lift is about right. It's enough to give it that little bit of clearance especially when people/equipment are loading it down, but not so much that the ride changes significantly. It's also at the point of still being able to get in/out without jumping. I still need to get the rubi shocks on there - I do think the stock sport shocks are not handling as well, and it gets a little floaty going around curves and seems to rock a little too much on bumpy dirt roads. Won't get a chance until december though.

One other note - the 1.5" is a leveling kit so it adds 2" to the front and 1.5" to the rear. This would be useful if you are adding weight to the front bumper and/or winch. If sticking with stock bumper, I feel like it sits too far back when loading up the back for trips. But if you go with a heavier bumper then that would probably bring the front back down a quarter inch or so and look ok.

namodei

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I just cut a hole in the mudflaps using a dremel tool to match up where the rock rails hit them. I have seen others cut the rock rails, but the mud flaps are $20, and they are going to get trashed if ever going over larger rocks/boulders, so I had no issue with cutting a hole in them. the rock rails cost a lot more and didn't want to spend the time/effort to cut those down. The goal was just to keep the rear fender flares and the door hinges from getting wrecked with rocks being thrown by the tires. These have helped a little mostly with the hinges, but the bottom of the rear fenders are still getting beat up by smaller gravel.

I would say the 1.5" lift is about right. It's enough to give it that little bit of clearance especially when people/equipment are loading it down, but not so much that the ride changes significantly. It's also at the point of still being able to get in/out without jumping. I still need to get the rubi shocks on there - I do think the stock sport shocks are not handling as well, and it gets a little floaty going around curves and seems to rock a little too much on bumpy dirt roads. Won't get a chance until december though.

One other note - the 1.5" is a leveling kit so it adds 2" to the front and 1.5" to the rear. This would be useful if you are adding weight to the front bumper and/or winch. If sticking with stock bumper, I feel like it sits too far back when loading up the back for trips. But if you go with a heavier bumper then that would probably bring the front back down a quarter inch or so and look ok.
Thanks for the tip!! I'll have to get the flaps,and break out the dremel, my hinges are all chipped up!!! Let me know how the rubi shocks work out. I I'm prolly gonna go the same route! Thanks again!

Sponsored

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Just changed out the stock shocks for rubi take offs. Rides so much better, but definitely more firm - the "floatiness" is gone especially when going around corners and roundabouts. Washboards seem to be more tamed now. Looking forward to more adventures with a more proper jeep feel to it now.

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
just ran to a nearby lot to test the articulation. the back tire gets stuffed into the fender well pretty good, but no evidence that there was contact. the front spring doesn't seem to stretch as much as the rear.

IMG_9225[9] copy 2.jpg

IMG_9226[10] copy.jpeg

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
just ran to a nearby lot to test the articulation. the back tire gets stuffed into the fender well pretty good, but no evidence that there was contact. the front spring doesn't seem to stretch as much as the rear.

IMG_9225[9] copy 2.jpg

IMG_9226[10] copy.jpeg
Are you stretching her legs disconnected? Doesn’t look disconnected. Did you upgrade the bumpstops or any plans to? Thanks for the tire info.
Sponsored