Sport S - OEM 245/75/17 Michelin vs 265/70-17 KO2 or AT3

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
So I've read plenty of threads about what will fit on a stock Sport S, the pluses and minuses of various lifts, etc. In my case, for a variety of reasons I'd like to keep most things as stock as possible. My use case:

- daily driver, about 15K/year, fair amount of freeway runs
- offroad about 1-2x a month, local trails, no rock crawling or too crazy technical

I'm finding that the stock JL is fairly capable for both scenarios, and due to the amount of pavement use I'd like to keep wheels fairly light and about the same size for both mileage and aesthetic. I feel like a bit wider contact patch and a bit more aggressive tread might give me a small boost off-road without penalizing road manners very much.

fwiw I think the 285/70-17 looks a bit crowded on the Sport without a lift. If I went to those I'd really want to do a small lift but that starts down a slippery slope. And part of me likes the idea of working a stock Jeep in the dirt.

From searches looks like a couple have done the switch I'm thinking of but didn't see any follow-on reports. Going to Rubi takeoffs seems much more common. Any first-hand experience appreciated as I know my mind thinks the more aggressive tread will make a difference but confirmation bias is a strong thing. Cheaper to flog the OEM rubber but...well...new tires! :)
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
From what you're wanting I'd strongly recommend just a full Rubicon take-off setup, the suspension should only set you back $150 and the tires another 600-700 (from what I've seen on the site). And $70 for longer Mopar LCAs to keep caster proper

You'll still be running full factory parts, get adequate lift for the larger tires, and not break the bank.

Probably in the same ballpark as just switching to those 265/70s If you don't mind installing the suspension yourself.
Here's my install thread if you do your own work :)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I ran 265/70 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's (P-Rated) on my stock JLU w/ stock steel wheels for ~1YR. As expected, the AT3W was light, wider and had a much more aggressive tread! I think this was a good combo for a JLU at stock height.

My initial use case was much like yours. However (things change)....

When I decided to put a lift on (2.5") of course the tires were way too small! So just beware, if you plan on lifting in the future, you will want new tires.

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I ran 265/70 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's (P-Rated) on my stock JLU w/ stock steel wheels for ~1YR. As expected, the AT3W was light, wider and had a much more aggressive tread! I think this was a good combo for a JLU at stock height.

My initial use case was much like yours. However (things change)....

When I decided to put a lift on (2.5") of course the tires were way too small! So just beware, if you plan on lifting in the future, you will want new tires.
Do you have a side picture of the JL with 265/70R17 tires?

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
For what you describe, the BFG ATKO2 will be perfect, and none of the rabbit hole headaches.