Sport S axle upgrade

tylerb

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport S
I recently added a 3.5" teraflex lift and 37s to my sport s. I know I need to upgrade my axles. I have the rear LSD which I've gathered is basically a D44. Does that mean I'm ok just upgrading the front axle and then regearing and putting a locker in the rear? Or is there any benefit to upgrading the rear to an actual D44? I'm looking at getting a UD44 for the front.
Sponsored

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I know that the D44 in the rear of your sport is narrow. I am not 100% sure that there is a production narrow d44 for the front, but id imagine that someone is making them.

SkDmRkLcY

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I am trying to figure this out too on my 2DR Sport S. The shop is suggesting to just do Rubicon Axle swap vs going with a same width ProRock 44 and upgrading gears/locker in the existing rear. Price seems to work out similar... and it seems like the later would over all be better I can't see the width being that big of a deal, maybe I am wrong.

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Get a front axle out of a Gladiator that is not Max Tow. All Gladiators have 44 fronts.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I am trying to figure this out too on my 2DR Sport S. The shop is suggesting to just do Rubicon Axle swap vs going with a same width ProRock 44 and upgrading gears/locker in the existing rear. Price seems to work out similar... and it seems like the later would over all be better I can't see the width being that big of a deal, maybe I am wrong.
Regearing + lockers + new front axle. youll likely end up better just buying new axles that already have lockers in them and taller gearing.

You CAN buy a short d44. But youll still need to regear and most likely add a locker which is more expensive.

You could buy a set of rubicon axles and run with 4.10s. regear if you think you need taller gears.

There might be better options for you out there. i dont think your second option is bad. You dont really need the wide axles.

Last edited:

Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜94 YJ, ā€˜21 JLR, ā€˜22 JLUR XR, ā€˜23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy

boston3111

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU
Went with the UD 44 upgraded axle with e locker. It is a bit wider than the rear so I just added some spacers for it to match up. Iā€™m running 38s so I had some chromoly axle shafts for the rear axle and did 4.88 gears.

OP
OP

tylerb

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport S
The dynatrac axle's use of a mix of jl and jk parts is a bit concerning as far as maintenance when something breaks and it's 6.5k when you fill out the whole form on their site. Which is pretty steep.
I can't seem to find used JL rubi axles anywhere near where I live and I don't have a way to transport them anyway so I think I have to go with new axles.

Maybe I'll put a UD44 up front, regear the rear and leave the rear diff open. šŸ¤”
Even if I get a new D44 rear with a locker already installed I'll have to regear it since I don't see a UD44 with 4.10 gears. I think I want it to be geared properly anyway even if I found a 4.10 UD44 front.

Lots of interesting responses though, thanks for your input everyone.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The dynatrac axle's use of a mix of jl and jk parts is a bit concerning as far as maintenance when something breaks and it's 6.5k when you fill out the whole form on their site. Which is pretty steep.
I can't seem to find used JL rubi axles anywhere near where I live and I don't have a way to transport them anyway so I think I have to go with new axles.

Maybe I'll put a UD44 up front, regear the rear and leave the rear diff open. šŸ¤”
Even if I get a new D44 rear with a locker already installed I'll have to regear it since I don't see a UD44 with 4.10 gears. I think I want it to be geared properly anyway even if I found a 4.10 UD44 front.

buy a gladiator front dana 44. Have the shop regear and install front/rear lockers or put in truetracs

your rear LSD is gonna fall apart on 37s. The clutches wont handle it well ia my guess. And honestly i dont know how well truetracs would work with 37in tires. These LSDs tend to work better on smaller tires.

Sponsored

boston3111

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU

Ya, that was my issue as well. Couldn't find any rubicon take-offs and the ones I did find were junked. I have on order a new Rubicon Mopar axle on Quadratec, but who knows when that will ship....

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
buy a gladiator front dana 44. Have the shop regear and install front/rear lockers or put in truetracs

your rear LSD is gonna fall apart on 37s. The clutches wont handle it well ia my guess. And honestly i dont know how well truetracs would work with 37in tires. These LSDs tend to work better on smaller tires.
Has anyone on here done this? Putting the gladiator d44 on the Wrangler? Is it identical?

OP
OP

tylerb

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport S
Ah, I didn't realize that, thanks for mentioning it entropy. I guess I'll be swapping both axles. Might as well get the same width as the front UD44 since it seems like the price for adding a locker and regearing will be similar to buying a new rear axle

Barnbuilt

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl, 1993 f150, 2005 Silverado
if You decide to go for it post an update and let us know how you like it.
im in a similar boat. 44antispin rear, 30 open front. I have been researching my options as well

these are my options that Iā€™ve come up with to this point

(1)stay as is and rely on my warn winch if I get stuck.
(2)swap in a factory rubicon 44 front/regear it to match and leave the rear alone,
(3) option 2 and build the sport rear
(4) or finally pro44 all around
I will not be building the 30

obviously, each option is an increase in capabilities , but likewise each is an increase in investment

ultimately, how we use are Jeepā€™s determines the return on investment , to this point all ive seen is people either go all out and swap both axles, or leave it as is.

for now Iā€™m at option 1 until I see a need to upgrade
Sponsored