OP

tylerb

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport S
What size tires are you on BarnBuilt? I've gone out wheeling a couple times as-is but it always freaks me out since I really don't want to break the D30 on the trail. It wouldn't be a fun time for me with how far away the trails are here haha. I guess the open diff makes breaking something way less likely.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
if You decide to go for it post an update and let us know how you like it.
im in a similar boat. 44antispin rear, 30 open front. I have been researching my options as well

these are my options that I’ve come up with to this point

(1)stay as is and rely on my warn winch if I get stuck.
(2)swap in a factory rubicon 44 front/regear it to match and leave the rear alone,
(3) option 2 and build the sport rear
(4) or finally pro44 all around
I will not be building the 30

obviously, each option is an increase in capabilities , but likewise each is an increase in investment

ultimately, how we use are Jeep’s determines the return on investment , to this point all ive seen is people either go all out and swap both axles, or leave it as is.

for now I’m at option 1 until I see a need to upgrade
Your option 2 wouldnt work because the rubi axle is wider than the sports d44. What size tire are you running?

Barnbuilt

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl, 1993 f150, 2005 Silverado
Your option 2 wouldnt work because the rubi axle is wider than the sports d44. What size tire are you running?
I’m running 35x12.5

I’m trying to figure what the negative affect would would be of the front being a little wider…. would it not track correctly on the highway while turning?

Barnbuilt

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl, 1993 f150, 2005 Silverado
What size tires are you on BarnBuilt? I've gone out wheeling a couple times as-is but it always freaks me out since I really don't want to break the D30 on the trail. It wouldn't be a fun time for me with how far away the trails are here haha. I guess the open diff makes breaking something way less likely.
I’m on 35s

i feel the same way, I don’t see a lot of built Jeep’s in my area (central Georgia). Most of the trails are 3-4 hours away (either north ga mountains or Talledega Alabama). So I need good drivability in the highway to get to the trails. A lot of guys just ride to the end of the dirt roads and tear the mud up after it rains. Fun, but I think I’m more into the exploring and trail riding than that

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
Are JLs particularly hard on front axles for some reason? I ran a d30 in my XJ and my YJ and only had a few shafts snap. Both times it was at the ears, so just yanked the shaft, used the stubby end to keep the hub intact, and shoved a rag in the axle tube to stop the oil from leaking out. Drove home in 2wd no problem.

ETA: Both Jeeps ran 35's
Sponsored