Sponsored

Sport or Sahara Special edition + Diesel?

Erbium

First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Hi guys,

I'm pricing out an diesel in my head and because the 3.0 includes d44 axles with 3.73 gears i was wondering if it would be more cost efficient to skip the Rubicon and do an willy or altitude package and add lockers down the road..

I guess the draw to the Rubicon is just the lockers/swaybar disconnect from the factory, since the 4.10 gearing won't have any draw with the diesel package nor the d44 axles since they are included with the diesel.

Curious if ordering an sport with the tow package for the buttons + arb lockers might be a better value proposition.

Has anyone else thought of this path? Love to hear your thoughts.

The Willys includes
blacked out accents
17” Black Wheels
LSD Rear
rubicon shocks? (i imagine the diesel has it's own special shocks?)
Rock Rails
Sport LED Lighting Group that includes front LED Fog Lamps and LED Reflector Headlamp (you can get the back leds with the safety package if i'm right)

The Altitude
Black on black accents (interior, grill, tires, headlamps)
18" black alloy wheels
Weathered hardtop
+hardtop headliner
power windows, power locks, deep-tint windows, and aluminum wheels
Leather (for sahara package)
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hi guys,

I'm pricing out an diesel in my head and because the 3.0 includes d44 axles with 3.73 gears i was wondering if it would be more cost efficient to skip the Rubicon and do an willy or altitude package and add lockers down the road..

I guess the draw to the Rubicon is just the lockers/swaybar disconnect from the factory, since the 4.10 gearing won't have any draw with the diesel package nor the d44 axles since they are included with the diesel.

Curious if ordering an sport with the tow package for the buttons + arb lockers might be a better value proposition.

The Willys includes
blacked out accents
17” Black Wheels
LSD Rear
Rock Rails
Sport LED Lighting Group that includes front LED Fog Lamps and LED Reflector Headlamp (you can get the back leds with the safety package if i'm right)

The Altitude
18" black alloy wheels
Weathered hardtop
+hardtop headliner
The only negative that I can think of is resale value. The build-it-up approach will be discounted at time of sale versus the factory Rubicon. So you need to assess what you save at the front-end versus what you'll lose at the tail-end. Other than that, sounds great.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
Hi guys,

The Willys includes
blacked out accents
17” Black Wheels
LSD Rear
Rock Rails

The Altitude
18" black alloy wheels
Weathered hardtop
+hardtop headliner
The biggest difference will definitely be in the resale value in the future. Also, not sure what you mean by 4.10 gears won't have any draw? All the Diesels come with 3.73 gears.

Bottom line, get what you can afford.

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
First post here.

I have been thinking the exact same thing about an auto unlimited base sport.

You get the upgraded axles and same gear ratio in the diesel and I will replace rock rails and wheels and bumpers anyway. The non rubicons come with lsd and I plan on doing manual lockers and manual sway bar disconnect as the less things to rely on their electrical system the better. i would like to have the factory led but it isn't offered on the sport anyways so I will look at aftermarket option. The only thing I think that is missed is the 4:1 transfer case which can be upgraded later if needed. Although those that are going to add a bunch of options I could see the appeal of the upper trim levels.

You are saving about 10k up front so the resale is kind of a wash.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Erbium

First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
"not sure what you mean by 4.10 gears won't have any draw? All the Diesels come with 3.73 gears." yeah that's what i ment the rubicon tradtionally has 4.1 gears, so if all the diesels come with 3.73 that would negate any kind of sway towards the rubicon.

@Killdozer what options would you add from the factory? The willys package includes the front LEDs.

Does anyone know if you'd save on insurance rates having a lower MSRP for the vehicle vs a higher one?

Sponsored

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
The only option I would really want would be the LED and the heated seats for riding with the top and doors off. I can add both of those items though. The willys package is not a bad price for the extra items that you get when comparing MSRP from jeep site. I wonder if the possibility is higher to get a higher percentage off MSRP on a base versus a specialized model. Either way good starting points for a nice build.

OP
OP

Erbium

First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I just tried to add selec-trac to a diesel sahara and it would remove the diesel engine in the build tool on jeep.com, looks like the Rubicon will be the only option to get a higher transfer case ratio unless someone can verify that this is a configuration problem on the jeep website.

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
As far as I have learned there is only command trac and rock trac. Select trac will not be available on the diesels. I noticed that the diesel option is not showing on the willys edition but it is available on the base sport on jeep site. Not sure why? Is the diesel available on the willy's? I also saw that it was not available in the black and tan too.

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
Yeah it shows up in the link...hmm I will see if they have any willy models and do a price comparison. See what the best bang for the buck is. I am waiting on a 2021 model. Would also like to see what the new available color options are, but as of now I'm wanting a billet silver. After all of this mess that a lot of people are still waiting on orders and dealers have them is crazy.

Sponsored

jbl911

First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan future JL
I'm close to ordering a sport altitude diesel as well. Rubicon goes close to 60's with the diesel. Not sure I would be able to recoup the difference with resale value. Opinions?

Hi guys,

The Willys includes
blacked out accents
17” Black Wheels
LSD Rear
Rock Rails

The Altitude
18" black alloy wheels
Weathered hardtop
+hardtop headliner

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
Are you sure you get the same axle in the willys? Let me explain in the gladiator , up front you get a Dana 44(m210) on the base models but it’s not the wide Dana 44 like In a rubicon. (3:73 gears).... Just like how in sport wranglers with the limited slip you get a Dana 44 (m220) in the rear but it’s not the wide axle like in the rubicon. If I’m wrong someone please correct me

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I'm close to ordering a sport altitude diesel as well. Rubicon goes close to 60's with the diesel. Not sure I would be able to recoup the difference with resale value. Opinions?
Resale value on diesels tends to be quite strong but if the gen3 3.0 proves to be a disaster, all bets are off on that front.

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/wide-vs-narrow-track-axles.14454/

Although this is for the gladiator they discuss JL axles as well.

https://[Banned Site]/showthread.ph...S-Dana-M186-amp-M210-Front-M200-amp-M220-Rear

This describes some of the basic differences in the axles for reference.

Since the diesel would all require the D44 axles and 3:73 I would assume lower trims would be either open diff or lsd and the rubicon will have lockers.

As of right now your question is are the base models getting the wide track or regular width still stands to be clarified.

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
any clarification from non rubicon diesel owners if the D44 is the wide track or regular width on other models.
Sponsored