Sponsored

Sport Model Key Fob Alternative?

Vann_DK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Wrangler 2 Door
I'm new so forgive me if Im posting this in the wrong place. Ive looked around the forums and havent seen this mentioned yet. Like many others I think the key fob is huge. I have the Sport model so I have to unlock the doors (no power locks) but it still has Push-To-Start. There are no other functions for my key fob beside manually unlocking stuff and allowing Push To Start to function. It has no buttons etc...

I've seen blank keys with "transponders" for sale which seem way smaller. Would something like this work for my JL Sport? Is the transponder what allows Push To Start to function? Or is the tech beyond a transponder?
Sponsored

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
You’re from Texas. Everything is big in Texas. Should be used to it.

The push button start relies on a sophisticated chip in the fob. I haven’t seen anything aftermarket that is better. Some have taken out all the innards and put in another fob case but they look cheap to me.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm new so forgive me if Im posting this in the wrong place. Ive looked around the forums and havent seen this mentioned yet. Like many others I think the key fob is huge. I have the Sport model so I have to unlock the doors (no power locks) but it still has Push-To-Start. There are no other functions for my key fob beside manually unlocking stuff and allowing Push To Start to function. It has no buttons etc...

I've seen blank keys with "transponders" for sale which seem way smaller. Would something like this work for my JL Sport? Is the transponder what allows Push To Start to function? Or is the tech beyond a transponder?
@Vann_DK : my idea my be off because of my lack of knowledge of the Sport JL's key fob, but here is what I am thinking.

First: watch this video--and not because I'm suggesting that you buy the AJT aftermarket key fob (although feel free to). I say this because my words below will refer to actions seen in the video. And please read all directions here first.

• Remove the physical key from your fob with a hammer and punch (or nail).
  • Drill a hole in the key at its non business end, big enough to hold a ring. It's made out of relatively soft metal, so the drilling is not much more difficult than drilling through wood.
  • Open the fob and using a sharp knife like the one Adam does in his video, remove the "transponder": that tiny black piece that's the size of a couple of grains of rice.
  • Acquire a pill box, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Pi...+keyring+pill+box&qid=1556636639&s=hpc&sr=1-5

(You may need one in non-metal for the "transponder" to work.)
  • Stick the transponder chip in there right up against the end furthest from the keyring. I'd be inclined to stick things in the pill holder so the transponder says at the non keyring end (e.g. cotton.)
  • Connect the physical key and pill box with a key ring.

Now, open your JL with the physical key. Place the non-key ring end of the pill box up against the starter button and push it with the pill fob box.

(That little grain of rice is what gets the JL going in the event that the fob's battery [for the higher end JLs] goes dead. Does your fob even have a battery?)

Make sure that pill box is screwed tight: even with a drop of Loctite need be. We don't want to lose that transponder chip.

=========

If anyone knows more of the Sport JL and why this can't work, please say so.

Note: this is not a solution for owners with power door locks and audible alarms that go off when the door is opened with the key but the alarm isn't first disengaged.

Last edited:

Gray Hare

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUK, 2019 JLUR, 2004 BMW M3
Vehicle Showcase
I love the ajt take on the fob

3058338D-56E6-487A-BC6D-7863F5851497.jpeg

Sponsored

Sol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2020 JL Willys
I love the ajt take on the fob

3058338D-56E6-487A-BC6D-7863F5851497.jpeg
While it looks good, the AJT fob cover doesn’t give us Sport owners easy access to the key so we can unlock our manual locking doors.

For my needs, a loop of paracord replaced the metal key ring on the fob. A carabiner-style clip from paracord to belt loop is used when wearing pants without roomy pockets (still need a workable solution for carrying the fob when I’m not wearing pants - might need to look into piercings). House keys are also on a clip so they can be transferred from Jeep to motorcycles.

I’ve come close to locking my fob in the Jeep a couple of times - that’s not a big deal for those of us with a soft-top. To avoid the appearance of breaking into my own Jeep, I need to find a local locksmith who can cut a backup key from a FCA blank that is listed in other threads on this topic. Though not for me, the other threads also bring up stashing the fob in a faraday bag and using a stand alone key.

Gray Hare

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUK, 2019 JLUR, 2004 BMW M3
Vehicle Showcase
That blows. Works. Perfect the Rubi.

MPETE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler Sport, 2013 F150 PLatinum 6.2

Vann_DK can you show a pic of what your key looks like? I am still new to the JL/JT world and trying to decide which model I want to purchase. I am curious what the base sport key looks like since it has manual locks.

Thanks

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Sport models come with a FOB that has no buttons but it still has the inner electronics / transponder stuff to allow to start the rig... so... it is not just a matter of getting a smaller copy of the physical key... you need the transponder... I have not seen options to get a smaller transponder.. but believe me.. it is going to cost you $$$.. I asked the dealer and I remember getting a second copy with the transponder and then programming it was more than $300... ouch

218198[/ATTACH]']
20190822_101819_zpsdfvoyoit.jpg

Attachments

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just a thought, but are there any other Chrysler products that use a similar push-start system but with a smaller key that could be programmed? I know on my Ford you can get any Ford key and program it yourself (as long as you have the two original keys). Some people were doing this to get a smaller switchblade style key from the Fusion to work with the F150.

rba89

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JLU
There are other FCA products, like Ferraris, that use the same style key. If you search eBay for “SIP22” you will find a few key blanks that can be cut to use in locks.

There is a Fiat key (search key shell) that has an empty space to move a transponder. I assume the transponder will need to be tapped against the starter button, rather than just being present in the Jeep. Some of these keys come with a glass T5 transponder, but I am not sure if that can be programmed to work.

I am still waiting for my Jeep to be built and delivered, so I cannot confirm if any of this information is accurate.
Sponsored