Sponsored

Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on?

jy86206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392 Sarge Green
Hey folks, hope you can help me figure out. I ordered a JLU sport altitude with LED headlamp and fog lamp group, based on my understanding sport models don't have the fender DRL even with LED group, but I was wondering if the halo on headlamp is always on when the car is in drive. Tried to find an answer yet no clear result, anyone with LED on sports models can show me this? Thanks!
Sponsored

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Hey folks, hope you can help me figure out. I ordered a JLU sport altitude with LED headlamp and fog lamp group, based on my understanding sport models don't have the fender DRL even with LED group, but I was wondering if the halo on headlamp is always on when the car is in drive. Tried to find an answer yet no clear result, anyone with LED on sports models can show me this? Thanks!
Yes, the halos will be on automatically on US models. The bright LED fender DRL and LED tail lights are part of the 'LED Lighting Group' available on the upper trim levels (Sahara, Rubi, etc). Other trims like yours (and mine) have the available 'LED Headlamp and Fog Light Group' which doesn't have the LED tail lights and bright LED DRL/turn signals.

OP
OP

jy86206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the halos will be on automatically on US models. The bright LED fender DRL and LED tail lights are part of the 'LED Lighting Group' available on the upper trim levels (Sahara, Rubi, etc). Other trims like yours (and mine) have the available 'LED Headlamp and Fog Light Group' which doesn't have the LED tail lights and bright LED DRL/turn signals.
Sounds great, thx! That means the halo itself is somehow a DRL.

OP
OP

jy86206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can wire jump a wire from the halo to the fender light so it turns on at the same time. I also have the Oracle switchbacks. White led as drl and amber led turn.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? 6E4AFDDA-C5F3-4EC5-8F8A-5AD8C131C35B
Wow, thanks for the information, the fender light is something I will upgrade to!

Sponsored

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Bruce Willys is correct. I have the 20 Altitude with the LED headlights in the front with LED fog lights and rear LED tail lights. We do not have fender LEDs but some people have added the Rubi fenders to get the fender LEDs. The Halos are on all the time no mater what position the lights switch is in.

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can wire jump a wire from the halo to the fender light so it turns on at the same time. I also have the Oracle switchbacks. White led as drl and amber led turn.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? 6E4AFDDA-C5F3-4EC5-8F8A-5AD8C131C35B
Did the old JL halos not come on automatically? Mine (2020) are always on with engine, even when the headlight switch is in the 0/off position annoyingly.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Sounds great, thx! That means the halo itself is somehow a DRL.
Actually, it doesn't. DRL logic on the JL turns on only when in drive. The Halos are simply powered at all times.

OP
OP

jy86206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, it doesn't. DRL logic on the JL turns on only when in drive. The Halos are simply powered at all times.
Got your point, first time seeing a vehicle with all time halo, but I think it’s a cool feature for the JL with LED headlamp.

Sponsored

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Hi Bruce, can you explain this a bit more? I'm looking at a 2021 Willys. They come standard with LED Headlights and Fogs. But I also see an additional $945 option for the LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group. Any idea what this actually gives over the standard Willys LEDs? It says DRL LED Accents, LED Fogs (thought already had?), and LED Premium Headlamps (also thought was standard).
Screenshots below show Willys Standards vs the LED Group option

Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? 1607092259590
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? 1607092438150

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Hi Bruce, can you explain this a bit more? I'm looking at a 2021 Willys. They come standard with LED Headlights and Fogs. But I also see an additional $945 option for the LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group. Any idea what this actually gives over the standard Willys LEDs? It says DRL LED Accents, LED Fogs (thought already had?), and LED Premium Headlamps (also thought was standard).

Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? 1607092438150

To add even more confusion.... the 4 door Willys and the 2 door willys LED Group options are different! The 4 door is missing the DRL Running Lamp Accent item. See comparison below 4dr vs 2dr Willys:

Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? 1607093537620
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? 1607093540597

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

1607092259590.png
1607092438150.png
That's definitely a head-scratcher, the LED headlights and foglights were standard on the Willys package for 2020. This is some of the standard equipment the Willy's package (24W) included according to my window sticker (2020), though not a comprehensive list:

Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? XwfPAtF

Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? LIvwdoJ

It's possible that Jeep changed the offerings for 2021, but I can't say/don't know. Here are some photos of my 2020 JL Willys vs my wife's 2021 JLU High Altitude. Our headlights and fog lights are identical, but the fender DRL and turn signals are super bright LED lights on hers:

Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? EAQMB5R

Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? 2swrqtD

LED tail lights vs standard:

Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? RkgDwvf

Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? 7iNomv

Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? CYAtUwA

Hopefully someone with a 2021 Willys can answer your questions.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Maybe it’s a Willys Sport with LEDs added as an option?

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it’s a Willys Sport with LEDs added as an option?
According to the build configurator, the 'LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group' is optional on the 2021 Willys and is unavailable on the Willys Sport. LED tail lamps are available on the Willys with the 'Safety Group' if it's accurate. I'm starting to think FCA gets off on confusing their dealers and customers with how often they frequently and inexplicably switch up what trim comes with which options.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport model factory LED headlamp's halo is always on? shrug.001
Sponsored