Sponsored

Sport Axle Swap

je3pin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Has anyone swapped their front axles out on a sport? Looking to swap the front to a pro rock d44 so I can run some 37s without worrying on my 2020 2door.

I got the limited slip diff so I have dana 44s in the rear so I think this should be okay for now

if you’ve done this- how were the results? Any regrets?
Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
There are a couple of us that have done this swap. I’ve done a PR44, intentsrig did a Dana ultimate 44 and he might chime in. I think Cattvol did a swap too, but I’m not certain about that. I hope they don’t mind me naming them here, but they were very helpful.

I am very happy with the set up. Other than the $$ for the axle I see no downside. I regeared to 4.56s with the 6speed and have an elocker in the front. I like the PR a lot and would do it over again in a heartbeat. It’s really expanded my off-roading capabilities. The downsides to the PR are it uses hybrid jk/JL axleshafts and getting replacements requires you get them from dynatrack or get a local shop to fab them up, but your local NAPA won’t have them. Also there is no fluid drain plug so diff oil changes take longer than simply removing a plug. It’s also more expensive than the Dana ultimate. I didn’t go with the Dana Ultimate mostly because it is (or was when I did the swap) rubicon axle width only and the PR can be either width. Minor I know, but that is just how I think.

I haven’t noticed any difference withou the FAD, and I get 17-18 MPG if that’s important to you. The extra weight is not noticeable to me. My fuel mileage was affected much more by my changing the aerodynamics (bumper winch, lights, removed the lower air dam) than the PR44.

I also have the D44 rear with the LSD and that LSD does ok (not great) off-road. There is not an elocker for the rear yet, and I’ll install one when they come out... or bite the bullet and do an ARB in the rear.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
OP
OP
je3pin

je3pin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Which elocker are you running? I have a 8 speed auto/ w 2.0 and was thinking 5.38s. Which lift/size tires are you running? I don’t really mind a drop in gas mileage (I drive about 2 miles to work) but want to maintain the level of zippiness that the stock ride has.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Which elocker are you running? I have a 8 speed auto/ w 2.0 and was thinking 5.38s. Which lift/size tires are you running? I don’t really mind a drop in gas mileage (I drive about 2 miles to work) but want to maintain the level of zippiness that the stock ride has.
I have the Eaton elocker in the PR44. I have 33” tires for the moment and 4.56 gears with the 6 speed manual. The max I plan to go in tire size is 34” maybe 35” if I can fit in my garage at work. There are a number of threads on gearing, as I wouldn’t be a good resource for gearing and the 8 speed auto, sorry.

OP
OP
je3pin

je3pin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Cool thanks for the input man. Gonna be moving forward with the front swap soon. Do you have plans to replace the d44 in the rear? Or have you done any upgrades to it?

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Cool thanks for the input man. Gonna be moving forward with the front swap soon. Do you have plans to replace the d44 in the rear? Or have you done any upgrades to it?
I don’t think my type of wheeling will need anything other than a locker for the D44 rear. After a rear locker and I get 34” tires dialed in, I’ll be good with my suspension for a while.

What is your build for? Rocks, something else?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Has anyone swapped their front axles out on a sport? Looking to swap the front to a pro rock d44 so I can run some 37s without worrying on my 2020 2door.

I got the limited slip diff so I have dana 44s in the rear so I think this should be okay for now

if you’ve done this- how were the results? Any regrets?
Lots of axle swaps on the forum. Some 60’s and some 44’s.
Your rear limited slip will eventually wear out and as the clutch packs are destroyed..some small play will eventually happen in the spider gears. Pretty common on the JK.

If you search for my build thread you can find a lot of info about my axle swap and rear limited slip issue.

I recommend when you re-gear the rear to match the front that you do a locker at the same time. Idk if any e lockers are out for the sport rear 44 yet but ARB has one.

Scooter2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport / 2022 F250 / 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
w00t so I ended up pulling the trigger on the pr44 and electric lockers. Thanks for the input everyone!
Any notes, pictures, images, thoughts or tips you can provide after the install would be greatly appreciated. I am about 60 days behind you in a pr44 install, and definitely still learning.

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Any notes, pictures, images, thoughts or tips you can provide after the install would be greatly appreciated. I am about 60 days behind you in a pr44 install, and definitely still learning.
A few things I didn’t know:
- you’ll need a new driveshaft.
- At my install I didn’t have a lift yet, and needed adjustable upper and lower control arms to get my pinion angle under/about 7 degrees. (I’ve since lifted it)

Great axle, and would do it over in a heartbeat

Irishjl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I just ordered my PR44 with 5.13 and eLocker. I have the limited slip d44 rear and was planning to just change gears to match. My long term plan is to get a dynatrac pro float 60 rear when it comes out. Or should I build the stock 44 and call it a day? I am planning on going to 38s. Have the Metalcloak 2.5” and 6 speed transmission. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I just ordered my PR44 with 5.13 and eLocker. I have the limited slip d44 rear and was planning to just change gears to match. My long term plan is to get a dynatrac pro float 60 rear when it comes out. Or should I build the stock 44 and call it a day? I am planning on going to 38s. Have the Metalcloak 2.5” and 6 speed transmission. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
I would just add a locker and chromoly shafts. That 60 would be a lot of extra weight for only running 38's. Is that dynatrac axle even full float or their new "profloat"? If it is not a real full float axle I wouldn't spend a single penny on it.

Last edited:

Irishjl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
So I was going to take your advice and add the locker and chromoly shafts. Problem is, there is t an eLocker out for the sport Dana 44. Guess I will run it with the limited slip for now.

Intentsrig - did you just chop your factory sport fenders (front and back)? Any problems? May do that that and add the AAL lights.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
So I was going to take your advice and add the locker and chromoly shafts. Problem is, there is t an eLocker out for the sport Dana 44. Guess I will run it with the limited slip for now.

Intentsrig - did you just chop your factory sport fenders (front and back)? Any problems? May do that that and add the AAL lights.
Only rear locker I have found for the sport 44 is ARB, that said, i think OX locker is coming out with one, just not sure it will work on our sport 44s. 32 spline axle shafts vs rubicon 44 is 35 spline.
Sponsored