Sport Axle Swap

buzz998

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
my thought process was if the carrier and gearing would fit buy both axles and trade one for a standard length d44 and then put the carrier and gearing from the wide d44 into the standard d44 to keep the same track. i wasn't sure if the axles were just longer and the splines were the same you could use the standard length axles in the standard length housing in as opposed to the unequal length shafts from the wide d44.
Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
The shaft lengths are different on the Rubicon rear axle. The sport/sahara axle is narrow width with the same length shafts on either side. So, you would not be able to get the rubicon locker to fit properly with the equal length shafts. The design in such that you'd need the two different length shafts to fit the splines properly inside the locker. And of course those shafts fit the wide track axle housing only.

So basically, the locker would fit inside the center section (differential) probably fine but you would never be able to get the axle shafts to fit properly inside of it. So it's a no go.
Just buy rubicon axle shafts for it and cut out 3/4” from each one? Easy and will be super strong

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
The shaft lengths are different on the Rubicon rear axle. The sport/sahara axle is narrow width with the same length shafts on either side. So, you would not be able to get the rubicon locker to fit properly with the equal length shafts. The design in such that you'd need the two different length shafts to fit the splines properly inside the locker. And of course those shafts fit the wide track axle housing only.

So basically, the locker would fit inside the center section (differential) probably fine but you would never be able to get the axle shafts to fit properly inside of it. So it's a no go.
Someone needs to make chromoly shafts, that are sport length overall but both different lengths to work with a rubicon carrier.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Someone needs to make chromoly shafts, that are sport length overall but both different lengths to work with a rubicon carrier.
I don’t even think it’d be worth it lol. Just throw an arb in it or eventually Eaton, ox and some others will release their lockers.

Plus, I wouldn’t want a custom shaft like that because it would be a lot harder to source if you broke it.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t even think it’d be worth it lol. Just throw an arb in it or eventually Eaton, ox and some others will release their lockers.

Plus, I wouldn’t want a custom shaft like that because it would be a lot harder to source if you broke it.
True, I’ve been waiting patiently for OX for the rear. Much prefer it over arb, especially living in canada and dealing with salt/cold

Sponsored

buzz998

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
isn't the spline count on the rubicon d44 and the equal length d44 both 32? i can't see the actual dana housing being different. if the housing is the same and the spline count the same wouldn't the locker fit? what am i missing here?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
isn't the spline count on the rubicon d44 and the equal length d44 both 32? i can't see the actual dana housing being different. if the housing is the same and the spline count the same wouldn't the locker fit? what am i missing here?
Yes both 32 Spline but..

Left and right shafts are different lengths. Meaning the locker will only accept that specific length shaft on either side respectively.

And since the Rubicon is a wider axle, you can’t run those shafts in the sport 44

Just like the JK Rubicon lockers( the unequal length shaft part, not the axle width aspect)

OP
OP
je3pin

je3pin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Just wanted to give an update here that I’ve been driving with this setup for over 6+ months so far and it’s great. Just finished up a road trip from CA to FL and hit trails all along the way with no concerns. Overall would recommend.
Sponsored