Sponsored

Sport axle strong enough for slightly larger tires?

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
You aren't likely to have a problem with 33s or even 35s unless you do something where there's intermittent traction. Tire slipping on the rocks being probably the worst case. If you don't rock crawl, a problem is less likely.
Makes sense to me. I wonder if there are some shafts for the front to mitigate that concern a little on the Dana 30. Oh and maybe run higher mileage rated AT’s over some sticky MT’s might help too.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yeah, not really interested in 35s. Only 33s at this time. On stock Sport axles.
I met a member last fall that was running 35s on his Sport and doing some serious off-roading, in the rocks from what I could gather. The axlse aren't just going to snap because you put big tires on it. You would still have to do some rough driving.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe call Dana? I know it’s 3rd hand info but a member here ( I don’t recall the username offhand) said another had called Dana and they only recommended street and light off-roading with 35’s. Shrug
That was and me and yes you are correct... that's what they said.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
That was and me and yes you are correct... that's what they said.
but like stated previously, the only difference in a rubi 44 is gear size which is stronger because its larger and the shafts maybe stronger. The housing is no different.

I trussed and gusseted my M186 on 4.56 gears. Have 35s now. Going to 37s the only thing id be slightly concerned about it maybe and axle shaft but even with open diffs I would have to doing something dumb

Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
but like stated previously, the only difference in a rubi 44 is gear size which is stronger because its larger and the shafts maybe stronger. The housing is no different.

I trussed and gusseted my M186 on 4.56 gears. Have 35s now. Going to 37s the only thing id be slightly concerned about it maybe and axle shaft but even with open diffs I would have to doing something dumb
It’s been my understanding that though all Advantek axle housings have been strengthened, (perhaps the shafts too? I’d have to look again) that it’s the still the shafts twisting with trying to turn the larger and heavier diameter tires that is more of an immediate concern over others under more reasonable use and abuse.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
It’s been my understanding that though all Advantek axle housings have been strengthened, (perhaps the shafts too? I’d have to look again) that it’s the still the shafts twisting with trying to turn the larger and heavier diameter tires that is more of an immediate concern over others under more reasonable use and abuse.
i hope your right, if i can get away with 37s on the front m186 and twist on a shaft and upgrade to chromoly or even rcvs.

but that’s a whole other topic, how much money do you waste making a m186 good for a 37...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

The shafts are def stronger and that isn't something to gloss over being that they play a pretty important roll... lol.

Sound like you've built your M186 up pretty stout, some chromoly shafts and I would run 37s on that. I've simply been passing on what Dana/Spycer told that guy regarding running 35s on the D30/D35 axles and being a glass is half empty kind of guy I agree with them (plus they did design the things).

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
The shafts are def stronger and that isn't something to gloss over being that they play a pretty important roll... lol.

Sound like you've built your M186 up pretty stout, some chromoly shafts and I would run 37s on that. I've simply been passing on what Dana/Spycer told that guy regarding running 35s on the D30/D35 axles and being a glass is half empty kind of guy I agree with them (plus they did design the things).
hopefully it works yes, I definitely agree with you. Im not advocating that a dana 30 is great, but its what i got and for $200 ive spent on it beefing it up, I think its been worth it.

Lots of people run 37s on older jk dana 30s, again not the best but if your smart it can be done safely. They say the JL 30 is improved, so lets hope for the best and us m186 guys have luck with 37s or ill sell a kidney and get a prorock 44 front....

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
JL Life Offroad (a YouTube channel) twisted a shaft in their sport but they rock crawl and it had gotten 37’s in January.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
JL Life Offroad (a YouTube channel) twisted a shaft in their sport but they rock crawl and it had gotten 37’s in January.
Wait... so you mean all the people who are saying you will probably break D30 axle with 37s while rock crawling weren't making it up???? ;)

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Yes. Yes I am.
Wait... so you mean all the people who are saying you will probably break D30 axle with 37s while rock crawling weren't making it up???? ;)

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
33s are great on a sport, no lift needed, no noticeable power or MPG loss.
285/70/17 on Raceline Clutch wheels with +18 offset here...simply beautiful.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
thats not really broken, twisted a shaft. What about the JL life rubicon on 37s that twisted a rear shaft

its all the same, everything will brake running tires that it doesn’t come with from factory

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
thats not really broken, twisted a shaft. What about the JL life rubicon on 37s that twisted a rear shaft

its all the same, everything will brake running tires that it doesn’t come with from factory
Umm... twisting a shaft is still considered broken... lol. You ain't driving with it that way.
Sponsored