Sponsored

Sport and Overland. Are the tow hooks rated for recovery?

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have a 2 door JL Sport. I have been enjoying off road trips with the Sydney Jeep Club :)

I have one hook in the front and one in the rear. Are they just for towing or are they rated for off road recovery?

I checked the manual and the brochure. I went to visit 2 Jeep dealers. The answer is unknown!
Sponsored

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Where are these hooks located on the front and rear? I know on my Rubicon i have 2 hooks facing up ont he front bar and one hook under the bottom left of the rear bar sticking out.

Not sure how the Aus specs sports are =/

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the rear the hook is the same as your Rubicon. If that hook is not rated for recovery then nor is yours.

At the front, there in one hook underneath, slightly right of centre.

For the rear, I now have a recovery hitch and a soft shackle, rated fir recovery.

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
The manual states "the tow eyes are for road-side emergencies". "Do not use the tow eye to free a stuck vehicle". I take it that means not rated for off road recovery. Page 266 in my manual. One of the reasons I changed out the rear bumper for one with proper recovery points. Thankfully haven't needed them yet.
The manual doesn't appear to refer to the hooks on the Rubicon front bumper.

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The manual doesn't appear to refer to the hooks on the Rubicon front bumper.

Page 440 says: For off-road recovery, it is recommended to use both of the front tow hooks to minimise risk of damage to the vehicle. Always use an appropriately rated tow strap"

That would be the reference to the hooks on your front bumper.

Your quote does not appear in my manual, so I wonder if we have the same manual!

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Page 440 says: For off-road recovery, it is recommended to use both of the front tow hooks to minimise risk of damage to the vehicle. Always use an appropriately rated tow strap"

That would be the reference to the hooks on your front bumper.

Your quote does not appear in my manual, so I wonder if we have the same manual!
My manual only goes up to page 395, so they are obviously different. Back cover has manual reference 19JL-126-AUS-AA
Sponsored