SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
I've been wanting another jeep for several years now but I've not had any luck finding a used one I actually wanted. I've gone through a progression of looking for another XJ, to a TJ, to really wanting an LJ and not being able to find a good one and deciding I'd just get a 2 door JK Rubicon if I could find one in like new condition. About 2 weeks ago thought I finally had the one I was gonna buy picked out so I got a loan and drove 4 hours to south Houston to buy a silver 2015 2 door JKR with 19k on the clock and every option but leather. Drove it and loved it. Crawled under it and it had spent 3 hard winters swimming in road salt so I passed on it. Now I'm really sick of trying to find the perfect used jeep and decide to just go home and give up for a while. I had driven a JL Sport a few weeks before and really liked it but did not like the price, the fact that it's a Fiat product, the m200/Dana 35 rear, and the return of the front axle disconnect.I stopped at a jeep dealer in Lufkin on the way back home and looked at a base sport and decided I could swing the ridiculous price and just replace the parts I don't like. Got home that night and started looking for a Sport with the m220 rear. Found 2 in Kilgore one White one Sting Gray. I bought the Gray one. 24S package, remote start, 8 speed auto, m220 rear with trash lok, and a hard top

Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep1-

So here are my plans. I'm doing the stuff that will least affect warranty first. At this point screw the warranty. Modification went a lot faster than I expected. (Bolded Items already done Italics removed from build)

Stage 1(Done!)
Bartact Seat Covers
Knockoff Mopar Floor Mats
Trailer Hitch

Mopar Trailer Wiring Harness(Faulty Removed)
Curt 4 pin Trailer Harness
Hopkins 4 Pin to 4/7 Pin Adaptor + Circuit Breakers and wire for 12v Power & Brake Controller
Roam Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Rugged Ridge Door Sill Protectors
Bestop Sunrider
Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
Rugged Ridge Arcus Front Winch Bumper
Rough Country Fairlead License Plate Mount
Smittybilt X2O 10k Winch
Skid Row Exhaust Loop Skid Plate
Factor 55 Prolink
Rugged Ridge HD JL Rear Bumper
MORE Engine/Transmission Skid Plate
MORE Transfer Case Skid Plate
MORE Gas Tank Skid Plate
MORE Sway Bar Skid Plate
Ace Stand Alone Tire Carrier and High Lift Mount
Synergy 2" Front 2 Door Coils
Synergy 3" Rear 2 Door Coils
Synergy Front Upper and Lower Control Arms
Synergy Rear Lower Control Arms
Synergy Shortened Rear Upper Control Arms
Synergy Rear Sway Bar Links and Drop Brackets

Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks 179 Front 180 Rear(Replaced)
Teraflex 2" Bump Stops and 1/2" Strike Plates
Rancho Front and Rear Adjustable Track Bars
5 Method 701's 17x8.5" 4.75" Backspace
5 MasterCraft Courser MXT's 315/70R17's

AEV Procal Snap(Faulty removed)
Jscan App & Programming Cable + ObII Scanner
48" Hi-Lift Jack
Rancho Emergency Brake Relocation Bracket
Rock Krawler Rear Coil Correction Pads Tall
Arb Pump Up Kit
Synergy Rear Shock Relocation Brackets
Concept Customs Arb Locker Manifold
Arb Twin Compressor
Rough Country MLC-6 Switch Pod
Innovative JK Products 4 Tire Air System & Compressor Mount
ORO Swayloc

Stage 2(Done)
Dana 44 AdvanTEK Rear Differential Cover
Fox 2.0 IFP Steering Stabilizer
Synergy HD Drag Link
Synergy HD Tie Rod and Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket
Synergy Track Bar/Sector Shaft Brace
(modified)

Genesis DIY Dual Battery Tray
Cole Hersee 24213 200 Amp Continuous Duty Relay/Isolator
EPAuto 30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V Bosch Style
2 Gauge Battery Cables, Terminals, & Lugs
2 Everstart Group 86 650 CCA Batteries
Pro Comp 76411P Wide Angle Cube LED Light
AKD 2" Tube Clamps
Artec Inner Fenders
Rugged Ridge Arcus Overrider

Stahlbus Oil Bayonet Valve
Teraflex Falcon SP2 3.3 Fast Adjust Piggyback Shocks 2-4.5"
Teraflex 2.5-4” Lift Rear Track Bar Bracket
Maximus-3 JL 2 Door Roof Rack
4 Mopar/Kicker 77KICK25AB 3.5" Speakers
Rugged Ridge Max Terrain Fenders

Stage 3(Saving up the Money)
Dana Ultimate D44 AdvanTEK Axle Assembly with Elocker & 4.88's
Rear M220 Regear to Dana 4.88's & Arb Locker
Dana 44 AdvanTEK Rear Chromoly Axle Shafts(Have)

Stage 4(Someday)
37x12.50R17 Yokahama Geolander MT G003's
Advanced Adaptors Atlas "Bolt In" JL 2 Speed Transfer Case 4.3:1 Low Range

Here is how she looks today
Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep61-

For future reference eyeballed suspension heights with bumpers, winch, rails, skids, and tire carrier:

Stock....................Lifted SW&T.......Lift

Hub center to very bottom of factory flare:

FL 19 7/8".............24 3/4"..............4 7/8"
FR 19 3/4"............25"......................5 1/4"
RL 19 3/4"............23 3/4"................4"
RR 19 3/8"............23 3/4"...............4 3/8"

Very bottom of factory flare to floor:

FL 35"....................39 3/4"...............4 3/4"
FR 34 3/4".............39 3/4"................5"
RL 34 3/4".............38 3/4"................4"
RR 34 1/2".............38 3/4"...............4 1/4"
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Looks killer.

Is "trash lok" the anti-spin upgrade lol?
Thanks

Yes most definitely. It's been a popular nickname for track-lok diffs for years. The clutches don't last long in these and require rebuilding when worn out. The ones in the JL seem to be even less durable. I've seen lots of reports of spun bearings, damage to pinion bearings and destroyed spider gears on JL's possibly due to the clutches coming apart. Several reports on this forum of people getting diffs rebuilt or whole rear axle assemblies replaced under warranty. The JL was an Impulse buy for me out of frustration. I did not do any research into potential problems before purchasing.

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Got the front bumper yesterday evening and installed it last night. It's a Rugged Ridge Arcus winch bumper consisting of a winch tray, thick plate tow hooks/shackle mounts, and a stamped sheet metal bumper shell. It accepts sport and sahara fog lights. It weighs about 60 lbs on a bathroom scale. I like the appearance of the bumper but it needs bigger tires to look right.
jeep4-jpg.jpg

jeep5-jpg.jpg

jeep6-jpg.jpg

jeep7-jpg.jpg

I think I'm gonna eventually sawzall off the sway bar skid plate mounts but may wait until I decide what aftermarket sway bar I'm going with. I hate how far they hang down. It's hard to bring myself to start cutting parts off a brand new jeep. I'm gonna order the winch next paycheck.

I also thoroughly checked over frame welds while I was under the jeep and all looks good. Really happy Jeep decided to put the trackbar in double shear from the factory.

arthurz06

First Name
art c
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon, 1959 cj3b
I've been wanting another jeep for several years now but I've not had any luck finding a used one I actually wanted. I've gone through a progression of looking for another XJ, to a TJ, to really wanting an LJ and not being able to find a good one and deciding I'd just get a 2 door JK Rubicon if I could find one in like new condition. About 2 weeks ago thought I finally had the one I was gonna buy picked out so I got a loan and drove 4 hours to south Houston to buy a silver 2015 2 door JKR with 19k on the clock and every option but leather. Drove it and loved it. Crawled under it and it had spent 3 hard winters swimming in road salt so I passed on it. Now I'm really sick of trying to find the perfect used jeep and decide to just go home and give up for a while. I had driven a JL Sport a few weeks before and really liked it but did not like the price, the fact that it's a Fiat product, the m200/Dana 35 rear, and the return of the front axle disconnect.I stopped at a jeep dealer in Lufkin on the way back home and looked at a base sport and decided I could swing the ridiculous price and just replace the parts I don't like. Got home that night and started looking for a Sport with the m220 rear. Found 2 in Kilgore one White one Sting Gray. I bought the Gray one. 24S package, remote start, 8 speed auto, m220 rear with trash lok, and a hard top

View attachment 201480

So here are my plans. I'm doing the stuff that will least affect warranty first. (Bolded Items already done)

Stage 1(soonish)

Bartact Seat Covers
Knockoff Mopar Floor Mats
Trailer Hitch
Mopar Trailer Wiring Harness
Roam Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Rugged Ridge Door Sill Protectors
Bestop Sunrider

Redarc Trailer Brake Controller(have)
RR Arcus Front Winch Bumper
RC Fairlead License Plate Mount(have)
Smittybilt X2O 10k Winch
Skid Plates MORE Engine/Tranny, Tcase, Gas Tank, Skid Row Exhaust Loop, and possibly MORE Sway Bar Skid
Arb twin compressor and MORE 2 door wall mount
Switch pod Rough Country MLC-6
Air up down kit (undecided on brand)
Dynatrac 2" Endurosport lift (might add adjustable track bars and adjustable lower front control arms)
Currie Antirock or ORO Swayloc
5 Quadratec 17x8.5 +11 5.2"BS either the hard rocks or the recons
5 Dick Cepek 315/70R17's Either the Trail Country EXP or the Extreme Country
Tazer JL Mini
Tire carrier that will handle at least 37's

Stage 2(Gotta save some money up)
Dynatrac Pro Rock 44 with Arb Locker and 4.88's
Rear M220 Regear to 4.88's Arb Locker

Stage 3(Sometime hopefully in the not too distant future)
Rubicon or Aftermarket Flares
37's
Atlas transfer case or JL rock trac junkyard case
upgraded driveshafts

Here is how she looks today
View attachment 201481
i have a new rock trac transfer case if you are interested?

Sponsored

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
Awesome! The bumper looks great!

Oh and great color of course ;) :P

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Added a Rugged Ridge HD rear bumper and a Factor 55 pro link today. I have my lift and skid plates ordered but a good bit of it is backordered.
?temp_hash=3003a862f1263c518642d4278a608bee.jpg

Also got a seat extender for the pup so she can lay down comfortably. Excuse the dog hair.

And a pic of the Bartact seat covers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
My skid plates showed up yesterday afternoon and I got them installed last night. They are all from MORE except the exhaust loop skid from Skid Row. I got the 2 door version of the oil pan, transfer case, and gas tank skids.I also got the sway bar skid because I did not like the looks frame horns hanging down for no obvious reason. I will be adding an ORO Swayloc so it will serve some purpose. I just can't bring myself to start cutting stuff off my jeep when I've only made 1 payment. I think I might also use it as a front license plate mount instead of the fairlead mount I have right now.

Sway bar skid
jeep19-jpg.jpg

jeep20-jpg.jpg

Oil pan skid
jeep18-jpg.jpg

Skids Installed
jeep21-jpg.jpg

jeep23-jpg.jpg

jeep24-jpg.jpg

jeep22-jpg.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the quality of the skids and the price is better than most of the alternatives. I did have one issue with the gas tank skid the 2 inside mounting holes did not line up exactly and need to be clearanced a bit to allow the bolt to go in straight. Unfortunately that was the last skid I did, it was late, and I was tired so I tried to force it and striped the 2 bolts. Ran a factory bolt from the back side of the weld nut and to chase the threads and I ended up using factory hardware on the 2 inside bolts which are not long enough to use the included slide washers.

The instruction for the oil pan skid also need to be updated to say that to get to the motor mount bolts the suspension needs to be fully drooped.

Whats next:
jeep25-jpg.jpg

Waiting on ACE to build and ship the tire carrier I already have the high lift mount.Also waiting on the rest of my lift to ship hopefully it won't be too long. I have everything but the Synergy parts.

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Got the tire carrier Installed for the most part last night just finished up the installation.
jeep31-jpg.jpg

jeep33-jpg.jpg

Ace has changed a few things since their installation video. The gate plate only has one vent cutout and uses all 8 of the factory bolts instead of just 6.
jeep26-jpg.jpg

The back up camera mount is now angled properly. Hope the camera holds up well to the elements time will tell.
jeep34-jpg.jpg

I did have a few issues. The hinges are not exactly the size and shape of the factory hinges so I had to touch up where the tailgate was not painted.
jeep27-jpg.jpg

jeep28-jpg.jpg

I also had to clearance the cradle as the cradle bracket welds interfered with fitment.
jeep29-jpg.jpg

This thing was kinda a pain to install but I'm happy with the carrier. Its solid, no rattles. I don't have a hi-lift or rotopax cans yet. I did pick this carrier specifically for the rotopax mounts. I will get those ordered in a few weeks to finish it out.

My coil springs and rear sway bar links showed up the day after the tire carrier. I'm still waiting on control arms. My front uppers and rear lowers shipped yesterday but still no word on the front lowers and rear uppers. I do have enough of the components to go ahead and install my lift but I'm kinda tired... May install it tomorrow although I'd really prefer to have the front lower control arms in hand first..
jeep35-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Got the lift on yesterday evening.
Before:
jeep4-jpg.jpg

After:
jeep36-jpg.jpg

jeep37-jpg.jpg

I ended up with more lift in the front than I wanted. 5" in the front 4" in the rear. Subtract 1.5" for the annoying industry standard Rubicon lift height equivalency and its 3.5" front coils and 2.5" rear coils. I hope the fronts settle some as it now has a slight rearward rake. May have to get spacers for the rear. It rides well, better than stock, and I don't have my control arms on yet so caster is less than ideal but its not causing any issues. I have a little less play in the steering. The stock front track bar frame side joint had some play in it with less than 1000 miles on it. This thing feels ridiculously tall now and looks stupid with the stock tires.

My wheels and tires should get here sometime in the next week or so. My front upper and rear lower control arms showed up yesterday. I'm still waiting on the front lower and rear uppers to ship. Gonna wait until I have the full set to install them. I really need some more Synergy stickers :P
jeep38-jpg.jpg

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Reminds me of how I felt when I was a 13 year old boy ;) all arms and legs and no muscle.

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Reminds me of how I felt when I was a 13 year old boy ;) all arms and legs and no muscle.
LOL yeah kinda.

Just got an email notification that my wheels and tires are being mounted and balanced so hopefully she won't look this way too long. I've put about 70 miles on it and the suspension rides smooth much better than stock over railroad tracks and potholes. The front has settled about 1/4". I'm gonna add a spacer in the back to get the rake back to where it was. Daystar has a 3/4" rear spacer for the JL.
Sponsored