SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build

SGT4774

First Name
TA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR - Sting Gray (6 speed)
Nice build!! What are your thoughts on the Synergy HD steering setup? Considerable improvement over stock components?
Sponsored

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Nice build!! What are your thoughts on the Synergy HD steering setup? Considerable improvement over stock components?
Thanks

The Synergy tie rod and drag link is much beefier than stock. Main reason I got it though was for a future axle swap. I'll need the longer tie rod for the Ultimate 44 since its Rubicon width.

As far as steering improvements are concerned my biggest decrease in steering wheel play was from the Rancho track bar. The bushings on the factory track bar are junk. Mine had significabnt play at less than a 1000 miles. Results should be similar with the Synergy track bar as both bars use the same type of bushing. I would have gone Synergy but the front track bar was not available at the time. Just FYI the Rancho front track bar bushing housing is too large to allow you to use the lower bolt on Synergys track bar/sector shaft brace.

The HD steering did improve things though. It took about another 1/4" out of the play. The Track bar and sector shaft brace tightened it up a bit more. I have somewhere between an 1/8" to 1/4" of play left. its barely noticeable and I can drive hands free and it tracks straight down the highway.

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
I'm shifting priorities the front axle and regear are on the back burner for a while. I've decided I want a pedal drive fishing Kayak and I want to car top it. I'm not interested in a trailer. Almost every choice for a roof rack for the 2 door mounts to the rain gutters and I don't trust that option with something that will act like an airfoil plus some of the boats I'm looking at are pretty heavy. Currently I've seen one choice for a 2 door that actually has good mounting points and that's the Maximus-3 2 door roof rack system. Unfortunately it utilizes a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform which is overkill and it also mounts too far forward to utilize my sunrider which I'm not willing to give up so I modified it a bit. Just finished the install.
Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep144

I was gonna mount it about a half inch further back so there would be a gap between the rack and sunrider when open. Unfortunately even with the front crossbar all the way forward there is not enough room for the required 760 mm spacing between the bars. The hole to the right of the middle crossbar is where I wanted it to be.
Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep137

If anyone wants to use this rack with a sunrider just mount the front crossbar all the way forward and measure back 760 mm from the front mounting hole to drill your rear mounting hole. Also the hole spacing for the mounting feet is 760mm so its easier to just mark out the mounting holes for each foot on your roof on painters tape than marking through the feet. I drilled the holes for the rear bar then measured forward to mark the holes for the front bar and everything lined up perfectly.
Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep135

The instructions recommend 2 people to mount this thing but you can do it by yourself if your a bit creative. I used a blanket to protect the roof from the rack and zip ties to hold backup on the allen key mounting bolts that go through the hardtop.
Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep138

Interior through roof brackets.
Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep139

Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep140

Satellite antenna relocation bracket
Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep146

A couple of things to note the sunrider rests against the rack when open think I'm gonna add some sticky backed closed cell foam to the front of the rack as wear prevention.
Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep145

Also the rear glass just barely touches the rear window when open. I will add more foam on the bottom of the rack here.
Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep143

I wish the would offer these brackets with rails instead of the rack. I'd have no rear overhang and the sunrider would not be touching anything. Now I have to figure out something else besides a Kayak carrier to mount up there to justify the purchase.

Also forgot to mention I was able to mount these without removing the hard top so you don't have to if you don't get the ladders. You just need small hands to get the nuts on the front through roof bolts and ratcheting box end wrenches.

Last edited:

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I'm shifting priorities the front axle and regear are on the back burner for a while. I've decided I want a pedal drive fishing Kayak and I want to car top it. I'm not interested in a trailer. Almost every choice for a roof rack for the 2 door mounts to the rain gutters and I don't trust that option with something that will act like an airfoil plus some of the boats I'm looking at are pretty heavy. Currently I've seen one choice for a 2 door that actually has good mounting points and that's the Maximus-3 2 door roof rack system. Unfortunately it utilizes a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform which is overkill and it also mounts too far forward to utilize my sunrider which I'm not willing to give up so I modified it a bit. Just finished the install.

I was gonna mount it about a half inch further back so there would be a gap between the rack and sunrider when open. Unfortunately even with the front crossbar all the way forward there is not enough room for the required 760 mm spacing between the bars. The hole to the right of the middle crossbar is where I wanted it to be.

If anyone wants to use this rack with a sunrider just mount the front crossbar all the way forward and measure back 760 mm from the front mounting hole to drill your rear mounting hole. Also the hole spacing for the mounting feet is 760mm so its easier to just mark out the mounting holes for each foot on your roof on painters tape than marking through the feet. I drilled the holes for the rear bar then measured forward to mark the holes for the front bar and everything lined up perfectly.

The instructions recommend 2 people to mount this thing but you can do it by yourself if your a bit creative. I used a blanket to protect the roof from the rack and zip ties to hold backup on the allen key mounting bolts that go through the hardtop.

A couple of things to note the sunrider rests against the rack when open think I'm gonna add some sticky backed closed cell foam to the front of the rack as wear prevention.

Also the rear glass just barely touches the rear window when open. I will add more foam on the bottom of the rack here.

I wish the would offer these brackets with rails instead of the rack. I'd have no rear overhang and the sunrider would not be touching anything. Now I have to figure out something else besides a Kayak carrier to mount up there to justify the purchase.

Also forgot to mention I was able to mount these without removing the hard top so you don't have to if you don't get the ladders. You just need small hands to get the nuts on the front through roof bolts and ratcheting box end wrenches.
I like it, making the most of the 2dr!

SGT4774

First Name
TA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR - Sting Gray (6 speed)

It will look even better with a Hobie Pro Angler mounted on top!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
It will look even better with a Hobie Pro Angler mounted on top!!!
Hobie Compass, Outback, and PA 12 360 are all on my short list. Trying to find somewhere to demo that's not 4 hours away.

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Ended up getting a Hobie Outback. Got it paid off last week so its time to spend on the jeep again.

I ordered a set of Rugged Ridge Max Terrain fender flares. I really like the look of these but they are pretty flimsy and the plastic they are made of scuffs easily. I got some fairly deep gouges on the front left by dropping it on my driveway. They do give huge amounts of clearance though.
Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep149

Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep150

Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep151

Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep153

Jeep Wrangler JL SpookyXJ's Jeep Fever 2 Door JL Build jeep154

For some reason RR did not utilize any fender clips or add any plastic on the 2 holes beside the vent so the fender pulls away from the body fairly easily at that location. There is also little support provided for the flare just a bracket at the light and one at the bottom of the flare both of which attach to the fender with double sided tape. Not sure I'm gonna like these long term but they do look nice IMO. I'm gonna leave the factory brackets for now JIC.

I cut my rear inner fender liners but they look pretty bad so I guess a set of rear metal liners is next on the list.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Ended up getting a Hobie Outback. Got it paid off last week so its time to spend on the jeep again.

I ordered a set of Rugged Ridge Max Terrain fender flares. I really like the look of these but they are pretty flimsy and the plastic they are made of scuffs easily. I got some fairly deep gouges on the front left by dropping it on my driveway. They do give huge amounts of clearance though.

For some reason RR did not utilize any fender clips or add any plastic on the 2 holes beside the vent so the fender pulls away from the body fairly easily at that location. There is also little support provided for the flare just a bracket at the light and one at the bottom of the flare both of which attach to the fender with double sided tape. Not sure I'm gonna like these long term but they do look nice IMO. I'm gonna leave the factory brackets for now JIC.

I cut my rear inner fender liners but they look pretty bad so I guess a set of rear metal liners is next on the list.
holy room for activities, I like them and you get the nice turn signal that looks good also.
Im torn between these or just rubicon fenders

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
holy room for activities, I like them and you get the nice turn signal that looks good also.
Im torn between these or just rubicon fenders
I think these look better but the Rubicons would be much stouter. I've put a good deal of weight on my sport flares leaning across the hood with my knee on the flare to tie down the front of my kayak with no issues. I don't think these could handle that.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0

jeep149.jpg

jeep150.jpg

jeep151.jpg

jeep153.jpg

jeep154.jpg

Man I love how these flares look! Did you flash the computer for the DRL, or was there some wiring to do?

How’s it been holding up long term? That’s a shame that it’s kinda flimsy

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Man I love how these flares look! Did you flash the computer for the DRL, or was there some wiring to do?

How’s it been holding up long term? That’s a shame that it’s kinda flimsy
Traded the jeep on a truck a while back so it's not fresh in my mind. The flares held up ok while I had them but I really did not like how they attached and would not trust them to hold up to abuse.

I don't remember exactly on the drl's. I had the jscan app and you can change how it's setup with that. The flares came with everything required to wire it up to the sports blinkers.
Sponsored