Sponsored

Spongy brakes

huckleberryshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Anyone else notice spongy brakes on the Wrangler. I have a Rubicon JLU 2.0L and honestly the brakes are lacking. Are there any cost effective upgrade options out there?
Sponsored

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The brakes are fantastic on these jeeps but I have heard a few people complain about spongy brakes. Maybe there is air in the system? Have you told dealer yet?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Anyone else notice spongy brakes on the Wrangler. I have a Rubicon JLU 2.0L and honestly the brakes are lacking. Are there any cost effective upgrade options out there?
(Satire)

Great OP, just great! (mock anger sarcasm)

Now look what you've done

spongebobcrying.jpg

I'll be spending the better half of the rest of today trying to console this little fellow!

(Sponge Bob Square Pants and his likeness are the property of Stephen Hillenburg, Nickelodeon and Viacom Inc. No sponges were harmed in the making of this post.)

OP
OP
huckleberryshin

huckleberryshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
The brakes are fantastic on these jeeps but I have heard a few people complain about spongy brakes. Maybe there is air in the system? Have you told dealer yet?
Haven't involved the dealer yet. This is my first jeep and wondering if its normal and what aftermarket options were available.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
There is a little bit of regenerative braking with the 2.0's ETorque system, you may be feeling the difference between this and the friction brakes.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
(Satire)

Great OP, just great! (mock anger sarcasm)

Now look what you've done

spongebobcrying.jpg

I'll be spending the better half of the rest of today trying to console this little fellow!

(Sponge Bob Square Pants and his likeness are the property of Stephen Hillenburg, Nickelodeon and Viacom Inc. No sponges were harmed in the making of this post.)
Explain it to me again...How exactly does a sponge cry under water: as if that's the part of the fiction of the character I should have the most problem finding plausible.

Seriously: I wonder if other 2.0L owners are also perceiving the "sponginess" that may be what @Sean L reports as perhaps the difference between the friction of brake pads versus the resistance of spinning magnetos returning and capturing some of the kinetic energy of the rig's forward movement back into the potential energy of battery stored electrical power.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Explain it to me again...How exactly does a sponge cry under water: as if that's the part of the fiction of the character I should have the most problem finding plausible.

Seriously: I wonder if other 2.0L owners are also perceiving the "sponginess" that may be what @Sean L reports as perhaps the difference between the friction of brake pads versus the resistance of spinning magnetos returning and capturing some of the kinetic energy of the rig's forward movement back into the potential energy of battery stored electrical power.
I've test driven a Jeep with the 2.0 Turbo ETorque and a Ram Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi ETorque... The Hemi's BSG really grabs you in regenerative braking... you can hear that thing crank up when you're going down hill and its recharging that battery.
Sponsored