Sponsored

Spoke to the dealer about 2022 models...........

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Agree and if not for the Wrangler with SFA I'd be gone.
My point is there are plenty of low cost new vehicles to be had if you are not an enthusiast of some sort. Not saying those vehicles are sexy, but they are out there for folks that need or want them.
The point I am trying to make, is that Maverick will appeal precisely to those looking for more than a mill-of-the-run Civic or Elantra can offer, for comparable amount of money.

I can already see lots of young buyers skipping the Civic and going for a Maverick with AWD and room for their dirt bike. On the other end, I see families adding Maverick as the ideal 2nd or 3rd vehicle to the household for running around, going to Home Depot, and teaching junior how to drive.

The thing is going to sell like hot cakes. Mark my words.
Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
The point I am trying to make, is that Maverick will appeal precisely to those looking for more than a mill-of-the-run Civic or Elantra can offer, for comparable amount of money.

I can already see lots of young buyers skipping the Civic and going for a Maverick with AWD and room for their dirt bike. And on the other end, I see families adding Maverick as the ideal 2nd or 3rd vehicle to the household for running around, going to Home Depot, and teaching junior how to drive.

What the hell are we going on about then? I agree.
Your other post made it sound like there are no affordable new cars out there and the prices are unsustainable, which isn't true.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
What the hell are we going on about then? I agree.
Your other post made it sound like there are no affordable new cars out there and the prices are unsustainable, which isn't true.
Prices of family vehicles: anything with 3-row seating is insanely priced.

Hyundai Pallisade, Kia Teluride are the only somewhat affordable options left. Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander at least attempt to offer decent value for money, especially in lower trim levels.

Subaru...ugh...I hate those things. Dodge Durango is gone. GM, Mazda...donā€™t even try any more; Ford and Jeep prices are insane. Pickup prices are even more insane.

Everything else is ā€œluxuryā€ brands.

Three-row SUVs and full-size pickups, combined, account for one-third to almost one-half of the entire US market. I honestly donā€™t know what households that buy a family vehicle on a 7 or 8 year loan do when it starts to need repairs by year 5. Get a loan to fix the car? Roll the negative equity into the next vehicle and pay interest indefinitely...?

Iā€™ve been hearing lately that many buyers are simply pulling out of the market. When buying a new car involves getting a small mortgage, fixing the old jalopy looks mighty attractive.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
PS - the current explosion in restored vehicles like old Wagoneers, Cherokees and Broncos, is made possible when a new one costs $70,000, $80,000 or $100,000.

If I were to do this all over, Iā€™d learn how to restore old cars for a living. That sounds like a lot of fun.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Prices of family vehicles: anything with 3-row seating is insanely priced.

Hyundai Pallisade, Kia Teluride are the only somewhat affordable options left. Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander at least attempt to offer decent value for money, especially in lower trim levels.

Subaru...ugh...I hate those things. Dodge Durango is gone. GM, Mazda...donā€™t even try any more; Ford and Jeep prices are insane. Pickup prices are even more insane.

Everything else is ā€œluxuryā€ brands.

Three-row SUVs and full-size pickups, combined, account for one-third to almost one-half of the entire US market. I honestly donā€™t know what households that buy a family vehicle on a 7 or 8 year loan do when it starts to need repairs by year 5. Get a loan to fix the car? Roll the negative equity into the next vehicle and pay interest indefinitely...?

Iā€™ve been hearing lately that many buyers are simply pulling out of the market. When buying a new car involves getting a small mortgage, fixing the old jalopy looks mighty attractive.
I typed out my thoughts on this and deleted them a couple times now because I'm certain it will either get me banned or dog piled on.
Some things (despite being true) are better left unsaid.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bruin1md

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro
The rate at which vehicle prices are increasing is simply not sustainable.

The lesson automakers learned from the Chrysler, GM ā€”and almost Fordā€” bankruptcies was that they needed to ā€œdrive up transaction prices.ā€ That became the mantra inside auto headquarters. A decade later, here we are, with households having to get 7, 8 or 10 year loans to buy a vehicle.

Ford is the only automaker right now talking publicly that vehicle ā€œaffordabilityā€ is a serious problem. The newly revealed Maverick has caused waves in no small part because of how much you get for $20,000.

Ford Maverick is a big deal, not just because it represents the first acknowledgement by a major automaker that affordability is a problem, but because it tries to address the issue in a compelling way.

Iā€™ve lived long enough to see how the auto industry works: they all copy each other, and try to outdo each other for a number of years until things get out of hand. Then, out of the blue, an automaker comes up with a brilliant solution to a growing problem/opportunity that sells like hot cakes. Then the entire industry scrambles to copy the same brilliant idea with a twist of their own...and the cycle starts all over again.

In a few years we are going to look back and wonder how we ever got to this state of affairs. I, for one, am ready for fresh ideas that bring real change to auto buyers.

I couldn't agree more with this.
We are headed for some troubled times given the rapid rise of home values, new cars, and COCG as a whole.

OP
OP

bruin1md

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro
the Jeep GC and the Wagoneer will come with the 5.7L V8. It is an optional Engine on the GC and standard on the Wagoneer! Maybe you just meant the Wrangler.

Yes, I was referring solely to the Wrangler.

KAB96F

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon XR
Occupation
Structural Engineer
PS - the current explosion in restored vehicles like old Wagoneers, Cherokees and Broncos, is made possible when a new one costs $70,000, $80,000 or $100,000.

If I were to do this all over, Iā€™d learn how to restore old cars for a living. That sounds like a lot of fun.
Doing that now. 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner šŸ˜Š

20201129_103206.jpg

20201129_103020.jpg

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

the $20K starting price is the FWD hybrid base model and it is a marketing gimmick. Next year the price will go up. Try pricing any other trim and you are going to hit $30K OTD so fast it will make your head spin! lol What I'm really waiting for is Toyota getting into this game. THAT would be a great little pickup!!!!!
- Toyota
- Cheap

Ok

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Spoke to the dealer about 2022 models........... 20201129_103020

Jeep Wrangler JL Spoke to the dealer about 2022 models........... 20201129_103020
Nice!

These are some of the beauties popping up on my Instagram feed every day [sigh!]
Jeep Wrangler JL Spoke to the dealer about 2022 models........... 1633715354920

Jeep Wrangler JL Spoke to the dealer about 2022 models........... 1633715533094

Jeep Wrangler JL Spoke to the dealer about 2022 models........... 1633715384274

Jeep Wrangler JL Spoke to the dealer about 2022 models........... 1633715651716

Jeep Wrangler JL Spoke to the dealer about 2022 models........... 1633715425321

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

I can already see lots of young buyers skipping the Civic and going for a Maverick with AWD and room for their dirt bike. On the other end, I see families adding Maverick as the ideal 2nd or 3rd vehicle to the household for running around, going to Home Depot, and teaching junior how to drive.

The Maverick numbers are very interesting, Iā€™ve been looking at it all week. Then I tried to think of the cheapest new 4x4 pickup avail today, Iā€™m not sure. Nissan Frontier?
If there were a true 4WD Maverick that would be very interesting to see (& modify šŸ‘Œ )

Last edited:

Iowa_Wrangler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Firecracker Red, 2022 392 On Order

Back in 1970 my mother dated a guy that purchased a brand new RR with the Hemi option. She believes it was a '68 as that's when he got out of the military. Same color as yours, even the vinyl top. She does not remember it having a spoiler or the flat black hood applique. In June of 1970 he was killed in a car accident (not his hemi). She has no idea what became of his car. I've wondered all these years and will most likely never know.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Maverick numbers are very interesting, Iā€™ve been looking at it all week. Then I tried to think of the cheapest new 4x4 pickup avail today, Iā€™m not sure. Nissan Frontier?
If there were a true 4WD Maverick that would be very interesting to see (& modify )
Frontier WAS the cheapest pickup. Not any more, with the all-new model out prices went up fast.

It's been getting mixed reviews. Apparently it has been selling very well, which is no surprise given that it hadn't been changed in 15 years.

My issue with it is it's still a Nissan... šŸ˜«

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Frontier WAS the cheapest pickup. Not any more, with the all-new model out prices went up fast.

It's been getting mixed reviews. Apparently it has been selling very well, which is no surprise given that it hadn't been changed in 15 years.

My issue with it is it's still a Nissan... šŸ˜«
Yep with you there
> drives off dealership lot
> transmission explodes

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I typed out my thoughts on this and deleted them a couple times now because I'm certain it will either get me banned or dog piled on.
Some things (despite being true) are better left unsaid.
So true!!! I try not to post after beer:30 :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Yet I still get in a bind sometimes ;)
Sponsored