Sponsored

Splicing wire harness void warranty?

cowzrul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Land Rover, 19 F250, 19 Wrangler, 19 Passport, 19 GS1250A, 20 Tiffin
I searched and couldn't find this question. I know it sounds silly to ask but would splicing into the wiring harness void warranty? Looking at the Cool Tech Tow Harness Kit and I'm not familiar with Mopar Service Departments. I previously had a run in regarding flashing an ECU with Ford Service so figured I would ask.
Sponsored

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I searched and couldn't find this question. I know it sounds silly to ask but would splicing into the wiring harness void warranty? Looking at the Cool Tech Tow Harness Kit and I'm not familiar with Mopar Service Departments. I previously had a run in regarding flashing an ECU with Ford Service so figured I would ask.
The Magnuson-Moss act specifies that a vehicle cannot be denied warranty work due to aftermarket add-on's by the customer or another shop. The onus is on the dealer/carmaker to prove that the modifications are the source of the problem.

If you keep popping a fuse because of a wiring hack, then they would deny warranty work on that, but they couldn't deny a claim on death wobble (e.g.) as the two are not related.

That being said, I would look for an aftermarket parts maker that makes plug-and-play possible using adapters instead of cutting and splicing wires, e.g.:

draw_tite_t_connector.jpg

(just an example)

JP18

Last edited:

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I've misunderstood all these years but I thought the act was regarding replacement and maintenance parts. I once had GM claim my Wix filter could be the cause for clogged oil ports where I gladly told the dealer to prove it was my filter based on Magnuson-Moss. I always thought modifications were excluded thus why some dealers won't touch a consumer lifted Wrangler when they have steering issues.

Granted they will always state if problem X is found to be caused by your splicing into the harness then all costs are bore by the consumer.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I've misunderstood all these years but I thought the act was regarding replacement and maintenance parts. I once had GM claim my Wix filter could be the cause for clogged oil ports where I gladly told the dealer to prove it was my filter based on Magnuson-Moss. I always thought modifications were excluded thus why some dealers won't touch a consumer lifted Wrangler when they have steering issues.

Granted they will always state if problem X is found to be caused by your splicing into the harness then all costs are bore by the consumer.
It's for all modifications, whether maintenance or add-on's. They have to prove that the aftermarket part directly created or increased the problem.

If you have a stock JL with death wobble, yes they will fix it. If you throw in a 4" lift (not installed by the dealer), this changes the suspension and steering geometry, and therefore they would not fix it for free.

JP18

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have a look at Steve Lehto's youtube video here: (around 3:15).

JP18

Sponsored