Sponsored

Splicing a Wiring Harness

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE 20th
I want to re-route a large bundle of wires to make room. An option I’m considering is to cut it and extend it using wire connected with butt splices. Assuming the wires are all reconnected in the proper order, should this be ok, or would it turn into a nightmare?

pic of harness I want to move, it’s under the AC line on the right which is about to be re-routed as well.

D0074754-3AB8-4AFD-A140-A84AB27ABA7B.jpeg
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Time to buy a soldering iron and some heat shrink tube. Butt connectors work but will allow moisture in there. Which could cause problems in the future.

Splice it all back together with some solder and heat shrink all of it.

OP
OP
tehfrr

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok cool thanks that’s doable.
No (known) issues with the computers expecting a certain wire resistance or similar?

I recognize this is likely overthinking it but I really do not want to have to replace the entire harness because I cut it without considering everything.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Ok cool thanks that’s doable.
No (known) issues with the computers expecting a certain wire resistance or similar?

I recognize this is likely overthinking it but I really do not want to have to replace the entire harness because I cut it without considering everything.
What wiring harness are you cutting?

OP
OP
tehfrr

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s in the pic I attached. I have not traced it down yet, I will definitely do so before modifying it. It looks pretty thick though

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
It’s in the pic I attached. I have not traced it down yet, I will definitely do so before modifying it. It looks pretty thick though
I see a bunch of wires. Are you talking about the Jeep harness bundled up in black tape? Or the red wires?

What does the harness do?

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
You’ll be fine with soldering it, just use the same gauge or bigger wiring.

I’ve chopped up engine harnesses before to tuck them when I was into the import/tuner car scene with no issues on 400-500hp builds.

OP
OP
tehfrr

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heres another pic edited with labels

Picture1.jpg

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Make sure you cut each wire an inch shorter than the next or you’ll end up with a wire harness that has a giant “bubble” where it’s spliced together.

I’d probably consider buying some Deutsch connector kits and just build a harness extension. No soldering or shrink tube required.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I personally wouldn't cut and/or extend factory wiring. The CANBUS system does measure load and resistance on various circuits, and extending them could possibly cause problems with the readings.
This. That's a BIG Harness bundle, a seemingly small voltage drop due to a bad connection will give you Gremlins, if not now, certainly in the future. Bigger Bundle, Bigger risk of Gremlins.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

That's a big harness to be playing with. Is there an alternative? Relocating the harness possibly? What is the bigger question here? What is it that you're trying to do that potentially requires splicing the harness? Maybe there's another way that doesn't require cutting/splicing.

OP
OP
tehfrr

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving the harness is a nice to have not a need to have. The AC line is the big issue, and I have a shop that will do it for me either tomorrow or next week. The wiper hose looks easy.

if the harness was a straightforward splice I’d do that too. Based on what I’m reading I’m not going to chance it, not important enough.

It’s for a custom onboard air system, the project grew in complexity and size far more than first planned. I’m mounting 3 compressed air filters in that spot (general/coalescing/activated charcoal). It’s either there or between the rear door and the roll cage.

WAY too much time/money into it now to come up with a new plan.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Are you putting in a system to fill SCUBA tanks? Not at all understanding your project. I do know, that I would NEVER cut a factory harness like that.

G.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Moving the harness is a nice to have not a need to have. The AC line is the big issue, and I have a shop that will do it for me either tomorrow or next week. The wiper hose looks easy.

if the harness was a straightforward splice I’d do that too. Based on what I’m reading I’m not going to chance it, not important enough.

It’s for a custom onboard air system, the project grew in complexity and size far more than first planned. I’m mounting 3 compressed air filters in that spot (general/coalescing/activated charcoal). It’s either there or between the rear door and the roll cage.

WAY too much time/money into it now to come up with a new plan.
WOW! That's a fancy configuration for airing up tires. Sounds more suited for SCUBA or paint spraying.
Sponsored