Sponsored

Splash Guards for new Rubi or no

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
upload_2020-4-21_15-4-35.jpeg

Just picked up my 2020 Rubi last week. Absolutely love it and forgot how much I missed the ride. I’m looking into side steps and was considering the Rough Country contoured drop step. I love the look of this. The only issue is I’m already seeing some dings on my rear fender flares from rocks. I called Rough Country and they said there is no way splash guards would fit with this bar. Now I’m debating just getting a step that attaches to the existing rail. Truth be told, I rarely see any Jeeps with splash/ mud guards and am looking for anyone’s input. I really want to protect the paint and fenders as much as possible given that it’s brand new. Appreciate any advice!!
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
You may wish to try to solve two or three problems with one solution.....

If you were to get a pair of step rails - something like the Roams (mine) or LODs, you will have a step, a slider, and given the width of the step, decent (but not 100%) rock throw protection....... seems to work well for me....

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I put on some smittybilt rock rails that extend out as wide as my fenders. When i drive with my windows down i hear rocks "Ting" off the rails from the tires kicking them up. I'm sure if you find a set of rails that stick out as a step, you will likely protect your fenders from rocks that are kicked up from your tires. Splash guards on a jeep just don't look right.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
upload_2020-4-21_15-4-35.jpeg

Just picked up my 2020 Rubi last week. Absolutely love it and forgot how much I missed the ride. I’m looking into side steps and was considering the Rough Country contoured drop step. I love the look of this. The only issue is I’m already seeing some dings on my rear fender flares from rocks. I called Rough Country and they said there is no way splash guards would fit with this bar. Now I’m debating just getting a step that attaches to the existing rail. Truth be told, I rarely see any Jeeps with splash/ mud guards and am looking for anyone’s input. I really want to protect the paint and fenders as much as possible given that it’s brand new. Appreciate any advice!!

Here's my 2019 Rubi with both splash guards (WeatherTech) and side steps (Lund Bolt on Steps) installed.

The WeatherTech splash guards are specifically made for the JL Rubicon with the standard Rubicon Rock Rails installed and are available for the front and rear. I went with the front only.

The Lund Bolt on Side Steps took a little bit of work to install as I had to drill 4, 11mm (7/16") holes into the bottom side of each Rock Rail, insert an M8 sized Rivenut into each hole, then bolt the steps on with the hardware included with the Lund steps.

IMG_20200411_132130.jpg

IMG_20200411_132144.jpg

IMG_20200411_132241.jpg

IMG_20200411_132325.jpg

Lund Step_1.jpg

Lund Step_3.jpg

Lund Step_4.jpg

Lund Step_5.jpg

Lund Step_6.jpg

Lund Step_8.jpg

Lund Step_9.jpg

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I forgot to mention that the Lund steps I'm using were dirt cheap, less than $100 Canadian shipped to my door. They can be found on Amazon and are sold as a pair for 2 doors, or a set of 4 for four doors.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
I forgot to mention that the Lund steps I'm using were dirt cheap, less than $100 Canadian shipped to my door. They can be found on Amazon and are sold as a pair for 2 doors, or a set of 4 for four doors.
I was considering this option as it didn’t seem many side steps extended as far as a splash guard would which essentially cover the entire width of the tire on the Rubi. How sturdy is this option? While I’m not a huge fan of splash guards it seems of protection is desired that this will offer the best option? I maybe completely off base and I would rather opt for the Rough Country Stirrup step vs a longer protruding side step of that makes sense. I realize there’s no perfect solution.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was considering this option as it didn’t seem many side steps extended as far as a splash guard would which essentially cover the entire width of the tire on the Rubi. How sturdy is this option? While I’m not a huge fan of splash guards it seems of protection is desired that this will offer the best option? I maybe completely off base and I would rather opt for the Rough Country Stirrup step vs a longer protruding side step of that makes sense. I realize there’s no perfect solution.

The Lund steps come out as far as the face of the tire, about 5 1/2" from the edge of the Rock Rail. They're pretty sturdy as they're bolted on with 4, M8, grade 8.8 bolts each, and I used the stainless M8 Rivnuts which are a little stronger than the standard brass Rivnuts. Just make sure your Rivnut tool can handle compressing stainless Rivnuts if you decide to go this rout.

I'm about 190 lbs and I can jump up and down on the steps with no issues. They can also be removed in about 5 minutes per side by undoing 4 bolts on each step.

The WeatherTech splash guards may not cover as much of the wheels as the RockBlokz do, but I just wanted something to keep the slush and snow off the door handles in the winter.

OP
OP

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
The Lund steps come out as far as the face of the tire, about 5 1/2" from the edge of the Rock Rail. They're pretty sturdy as they're bolted on with 4, M8, grade 8.8 bolts each, and I used the stainless M8 Rivnuts which are a little stronger than the standard brass Rivnuts. Just make sure your Rivnut tool can handle compressing stainless Rivnuts if you decide to go this rout.

I'm about 190 lbs and I can jump up and down on the steps with no issues. They can also be removed in about 5 minutes per side by undoing 4 bolts on each step.

The WeatherTech splash guards may not cover as much of the wheels as the RockBlokz do, but I just wanted something to keep the slush and snow off the door handles in the winter.

Thanks. I also looked at the Magnum by Raptor RT step which looks a little similar to the Rough Country Contoured Stirrup side bar. It seems a bit shorter in the pictures I’ve seen but I have yet to hear of anyone that has successfully installed either with the ability to add splash guards as well. If this absolutely can’t be done, your option might be worth a go.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I also looked at the Magnum by Raptor RT step which looks a little similar to the Rough Country Contoured Stirrup side bar. It seems a bit shorter in the pictures I’ve seen but I have yet to hear of anyone that has successfully installed either with the ability to add splash guards as well. If this absolutely can’t be done, your option might be worth a go.

Glad I could help.

Good luck with whatever option you decide to go with. There definitely seems to be more options for the 4 door JL than there are for us 2 door JL owners!

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I could be wrong but I know with some semi serious off roading those splash guards are gonna be gone! The step look great, just wondering how much they'll get you stuck or how bent they'll end up. Sounds good that they are easily removed so if you think your going into tough stuff you can save them?

Just saying, the steps seem useful and rugged, they do look substantial. Understand I am not a big fan of mud flaps for off road.

Your rig looks great, enjoy!

Go Jeep!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could be wrong but I know with some semi serious off roading those splash guards are gonna be gone! The step look great, just wondering how much they'll get you stuck or how bent they'll end up. Sounds good that they are easily removed so if you think your going into tough stuff you can save them?

Just saying, the steps seem use full and rugged, they do look substantial. Understand I am not a big fan of mud flaps for off road.

Your rig looks great, enjoy!

Go Jeep!!!
Thanks wolfdog :)

The WeatherTech mud flaps are semi rigid, so there is some give to them and they can bend a bit, but I agree that if I were to do any serious off-roading they probably wouldn't last very long and may actually take the fender off. Thankfully like the steps they can also be removed fairly quickly if I really needed to.

As for the Lund steps on my JL, they are beefy but I would definitely remove those off-roading as they would probably get hung up on everything LOL.

On my 2012 JK, I ran a WildBoar Nerf Bar/Step that was bolted to the side of Rubi Rock rails and those things were able to withstand one hell of a beating. Here's a few pics of my 2012 JK Rubi with the WildBoar Nerf Bars. Unfortunately I sold these to a buddy on the East Coast or I would have tried to see if the JK Rock Rails would have bolted up to the JL.

IMG-20130113-00480.jpg

Mamba_MR1_285MK2_1.JPG

Mamba_MR1_285MK2_2.JPG

Mamba_MR1_285MK2_6.JPG

OP
OP

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Ok so below are the two side bars I was considering. The 1st is by Rough Country but as you can see this goes wheel to wheel with no room for splash guards. The 2nd is the Magnum by Raptor RT. I called Raptor and the person I spoke with said they had never been asked if splash guards can be fitted using their bar. That said, if you look at the picture it seems the Magnum doesn’t extend as far as the Rough Country. The salesperson said I could order the bar and send it back if it’s not a fit with no problems. Decisions, decisions

upload_2020-4-21_19-35-57.jpeg

upload_2020-4-21_19-36-33.jpeg

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those Magnum by Raptor RT definitely look like they would allow you to mount any of the splash guards that are available for the Rubicon. The Rough Country version looks to be pretty much the same length as the stock Rubi Rails, so those are probably a no go.
Sponsored