Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
It may not be a gimmick, but I would question what would be gained by using it. The cartridge filter has more media area than most spin-on filters have--it would take a really long spin-on to equate that much media.

Changing the filter in a 3.6L is a very fast and easy operation. For me, I don't see a reason to spend $400 on it. Perhaps others will chime in with a different perspective.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
It may not be a gimmick, but I would question what would be gained by using it. The cartridge filter has more media area than most spin-on filters have--it would take a really long spin-on to equate that much media.

Changing the filter in a 3.6L is a very fast and easy operation. For me, I don't see a reason to spend $400 on it. Perhaps others will chime in with a different perspective.
one thing that i noticed that our housings are basically dry when taken apart .. it would seem they have a point with the anti drain back valve. Basically getting rid of the dry starts... but this could cause messy oil filter changes and i dont see how that valve will fit in our engines

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
one thing that i noticed that our housings are basically dry when taken apart .. it would seem they have a point with the anti drain back valve. Basically getting rid of the dry starts... but this could cause messy oil filter changes and i dont see how that valve will fit in our engines
It is dry because when the filter is removed, the oil that is collected has already drained into the pan. I know this to be true because not all of the oil will drain out if you do not change the filter (some will remain trapped) ergo, the anti-drain back function would seem to be working.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
It is dry because when the filter is removed, the oil that is collected has already drained into the pan. I know this to be true because not all of the oil will drain out if you do not change the filter (some will remain trapped) ergo, the anti-drain back function would seem to be working.
I would see this out of necessity because of the location of the filter- housing but , I don't see much oil per se in the housing other then what the filter material drops from bring soaked ..as if though there is no anti-drainback whatsoever

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would see this out of necessity because of the location of the filter- housing but , I don't see much oil per se in the housing other then what the filter material drops from bring soaked ..as if though there is no anti-drainback whatsoever
I know for certain that if you do not pull the filter, you will have oil retained in the oil filter housing and oil cooler. Test it yourself the next time that you change your oil. Pull the pan plug and let it drain until it drips. Then (while watching from under the Jeep) have someone pull the filter, there will be more oil drain out that did not prior to the filter being pulled.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
If one has a engine, still in factory warranty, this would not be a good idea. If the Factory felt that the 3.6 engine needed a anti-drain back valve, then they would have engineered one into it.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
If one has a engine, still in factory warranty, this would not be a good idea. If the Factory felt that the 3.6 engine needed a anti-drain back valve, then they would have engineered one into it.
for sure things would be real messy if there not to drain

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I know for certain that if you do not pull the filter, you will have oil retained in the oil filter housing and oil cooler. Test it yourself the next time that you change your oil. Pull the pan plug and let it drain until it drips. Then (while watching from under the Jeep) have someone pull the filter, there will be more oil drain out that did not prior to the filter being pulled.
There is absolutely not any sort of anti drain back valve on the 3.6.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Al 3.6s are noisy on start up. It doesn't seem to be an issue, as these are long lived engines. However, it would be interesting to see if the Baxter kit makes for quiet/quieter start ups.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Al 3.6s are noisy on start up. It doesn't seem to be an issue, as these are long lived engines. However, it would be interesting to see if the Baxter kit makes for quiet/quieter start ups.
I noticed that too.. it seems to have dry startups when left not running for more than a handfull of hours I would say that this is more prevalent when I startup to go to work and the vehicle was sitting overnight. But with regular startups during the day where it doesn't sit more then half a day and this doesn't seem to be the case.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is absolutely not any sort of anti drain back valve on the 3.6.
The topic was the filter housing being "dry"; it is not/cannot be dry because when you pull the filter from the housing and wait a few seconds more oil will drain from the pan. The bottom o-ring on the filter tip is sealing "something" for that to happen.

Not saying this is a traditional ADBV...
Sponsored