First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
The future wife, if we can ever get married (3 wedding dates postponed now) just dropped a bit of a bomb shell on me. We were going to get her a new GC eventually but she said what if you get the "new one" and I take your Jeep. Now I can't get ordering a 392 out of my head.
Catching up in here, and congratulations!

Sorry to hear the current world contagion has been delaying the party. :(

Funny, I love my 2 door but if this V8 shows up I may not be able to keep my Punk'n. My wife has been pushing me to trade in for more room and the V8 if kept to a reasonable price, would sell me. (Now if they can just bring back Punk'n and make the V8 JLU desert rated.)
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Mopar V8’s are notorious gas guzzlers.
You called but I must say...

Jeep Wrangler JL Spied! V8 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Hemi Production Version Begins Testing! 1603030586165

“I’m buying a HEMI Wrangler for great fuel economy and efficiency” - said no one, ever.

Besides there are plenty of other gas guzzlers out there that get far worse mpg and even fewer smiles per mile.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Mopar V8’s are notorious gas guzzlers. My 2014, 2 wheel drive Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 hemi is lucky to break over 14 mpg in the city. If this Wrangler goes into production, count on 12 mpg. The poor aerodynamics will be the biggest hurt on mpg.
My give a shit for fuel economy went out the window with a wrangler on 37s.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Mopar V8’s are notorious gas guzzlers. My 2014, 2 wheel drive Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 hemi is lucky to break over 14 mpg in the city. If this Wrangler goes into production, count on 12 mpg. The poor aerodynamics will be the biggest hurt on mpg.
And ?????
If I was concerned, any at all, about gas mileage, I would be driving a Prius, or Tesla.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I've spoken to a couple JL owners who have swapped in a Hemi 6.4L and most of them are getting 15 to 19mpg with proper gearing for tire size and power curve.

Having the two OD's in the 8 speed really helps out here.

But trying to push a brick down the highway at speed will take some dead dinosaur juice.

Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
John - I think you are spot on. High 60s is what I would expect for the 392. That would seem to be more inline with market expectations as well. More powerful motors definitely would be special editions and big money. IMO
no comment on the $$$ - I just said i hope it’s reasonable, if it was I’d trade up, and they should really be thinking about the brand - as I think that’s the whole point of this given recent competition.

it was a side comment on the 700+, more to note that they could, not that they would (but they know how to have a good time - haha).

on making the rounds - agree, and I’m sure they’ll be checking its trail rated here soon if the plan is for Spring 2020.

as for the gas - someone who is going to pay this premium likely isn’t caring, so long as the tank is big enough for range

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
no comment on the $$$ - I just said i hope it’s reasonable, if it was I’d trade up, and they should really be thinking about the brand - as I think that’s the whole point of this given recent competition.

it was a side comment on the 700+, more to note that they could, not that they would (but they know how to have a good time - haha).

on making the rounds - agree, and I’m sure they’ll be checking its trail rated here soon if the plan is for Spring 2020.

as for the gas - someone who is going to pay this premium likely isn’t caring, so long as the tank is big enough for range
That 700 sounds like a SRT model HP #'s.

So it could be you got some inside info on the rumored SRT model to also come - the concept they have been showing called the TrailCat for a few years.

I believe TrailCat was sort of a long running project to come out at some future date. I believe the 392 project is to counter what the Bronco might mean to JL sales competition.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
That 700 sounds like a SRT model HP #'s.

So it could be you got some inside info on the rumored SRT model to also come - the concept they have been showing called the TrailCat for a few years.

I believe TrailCat was sort of a long running project to come out at some future date. I believe the 392 project is to counter what the Bronco might mean to JL sales competition.
i think you’re spot on

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Catching up in here, and congratulations!

Sorry to hear the current world contagion has been delaying the party. :(

Funny, I love my 2 door but if this V8 shows up I may not be able to keep my Punk'n. My wife has been pushing me to trade in for more room and the V8 if kept to a reasonable price, would sell me. (Now if they can just bring back Punk'n and make the V8 JLU desert rated.)
Don't hold your breath on reasonable price as there will be a limited run on them.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
It is interesting. I was talking to a fella at the gas station who had a really nice F350 diesel. Sounded really cool. We got to talking and his take was a bit different. His take on "fuel economy" was a little different. He said sure when you look just at MPG it is better, HOWEVER no one wants to talk about the price of diesel is usually always higher and the other elephant no one that is a diesel lover likes to mention the cost and added PITA DEF is. He was not that sold on the benefits of diesel other than TORQUE. He needed that for what he used his truck for so that was the ONLY reason he preferred diesel.

Back on topic. I has looking at a Hemi swap. Interesting to see the cost to do one for a JK is substantially cheaper than the JL from the 2 most well known swappers. I am hoping when the next JL (maybe JM) comes out the hemi swap will drop from the current cost of $35K. For $25K or so I would be willing to go hemi in the JL.
The diesel JL beat at Hemi Ram in the 1/4 mile test. Diesel JL rated at 28mpg hwy and some of the tests I saw online shows that it is getting that plus tons of torque off road. Yeah these big heavy full size trucks pulling those 35ft fifth wheels only get about 11mpg, better than my 40ft RV with the 8.4L Cummins that gets less than 6mpg.

If and when the Dems take over all three branches of government (if you believe the polls it could be next year) the V-8 will soon become a relic due to MPG and carbon emission requirements that will be put into effect in the 1st year. There is a green new deal coming our way and V8s will become "outlawed" in new vehicles and maybe conversions to V8s like people do now.

If you are looking for hemi performance, consider the JL 4Xe hybrid.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The diesel JL beat at Hemi Ram in the 1/4 mile test. Diesel JL rated at 28mpg hwy and some of the tests I saw online shows that it is getting that plus tons of torque off road. Yeah these big heavy full size trucks pulling those 35ft fifth wheels only get about 11mpg, better than my 40ft RV with the 8.4L Cummins that gets less than 6mpg.

If and when the Dems take over all three branches of government (if you believe the polls it could be next year) the V-8 will soon become a relic due to MPG and carbon emission requirements that will be put into effect in the 1st year. There is a green new deal coming our way and V8s will become "outlawed" in new vehicles and maybe conversions to V8s like people do now.

If you are looking for hemi performance, consider the JL 4Xe hybrid.
Yeah, saw they want new sales of ICE engines 100% banned by 2025, and ones already operating phased out inside of 10 years.

Wonder what happens to boats, quads, and other recreational equipment that EV just doesn't make sense yet?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Yeah, saw they want new sales of ICE engines 100% banned by 2025, and ones already operating phased out inside of 10 years.
If that's the one in CA, I've read a lot of reviews of that and it's by and large a symbolic gesture at this point. A lot of people are saying won't work out. It'll likely be longer, and if you look at how things have gone so far, it's probably going to be a sliding scale as time goes on; Think about it: How many passenger sedans had a V8 from the 70's to the 90's? what about V6? How many suburbanite commuters even offer a V6 model now? As the number of larger, more powerful engine options dwindle down to performance vehicles and work trucks, and more normies buy Hybrids, the timeline always gets extended.

Plus, the other key point: There are a lot of poor people who drive older vehicles, sometimes because they can fix them, sometimes because they just can't afford a new one. I know from experience; I couldn't afford a mechanic so I had to work on my first Jeep a lot of times. Those people can't afford a brand new Hybrid, especially if they've got a family and need the space of a Van/ SUV/ Wagon. Like it or not, automakers LOVE to put a premium on new Hybrid vehicles. Sure, there are a lot out there used but they aren't always in the best/ most reliable condition and they don't always serve the purpose, especially if you've got a family and you're not making a whole lot of money. The government could do some sort of Cash For Clunkers 2.0 Focusing on tax/ price breaks for Hybrids, but it's going to take a lot and I don't see that happening with the current state of ... well... everything.

Wonder what happens to boats, quads, and other recreational equipment that EV just doesn't make sense yet?
You know everything EXCEPT "SUV's" and trucks gets ignored. Consumer Automotive is the favored whipping boy of the Enviros- they completely ignore giant, smoke belching coal power plants, the infinite suburban sprawl of housing developments and strip malls that are energy inefficient and popping up everywhere, the entire Shipping industry, air lines, and commercial vehicles from the 80's still running around in some cases. Is it the easiest to curtail? Maybe- that's probably why they do things like this. However, could there be more significant progress if they looked elsewhere with additional focus? Yes.

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for progress. I'm all for pushing technological applications. There's a lot of things that could be done, but outlawing ICE's is a lofty one that would have questionable results and feasibility.

But enough philosophy. Back on topic.

I love my JLUR. But I'm having some ankle/ knee/ etc issues currently. I don't know if they're permanent or not, but I've been having some real difficult conversations, thinking stuff over. If I should end up having to permanently retire my ability to drive stick, the first replacement Jeeps I would test would be the 4Xe, the Diesel, and the 392, in that order. 4xe because I'm most curious and know the least, the Diesel because of the practicality- I just don't know all the caveats, and the 392 because fun. Goal would be the same- which one can run 35's/37's with the least amount of work and still maintain daily driver/weekend warrior status for the next decade?
Sponsored