Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Jeep told us for years the Hemi couldn't work in a Wrangler. They gave us dozens of reasons. Now, suddenly, they can. I'm pretty sure nobody over a Ford influenced the government to lighten up or spiked some drinks at a soiree with attorney's from FCA for our benefit.

What if the solution to all the hurdles and setbacks in getting the Hemi for all those years was the top? You can have your 392 Wrangler in all its glory, unabashed and ready to throw down that delicious Scat Pack-like power to massive tires direct from the factory, fueling that ultimate Jeep desire not only to 6.4 liters of delicious displacement, but also to the resulting erection in your pants as you step on the gas. It's all yours, ready and willing, at the sacrifice of a fully removable top.

I know, it sounds ridiculous, but there's always a compromise somewhere.
Definitely ridiculous. The weak top in any iteration has nothing to do with being able to pass crash tests.
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Definitely ridiculous.
And up until July 11th, so was the mere notion of a Hemi Wrangler from the factory. Yet here we are with social media posts, spy photos, pics of them sitting in lots, and not a single one of them has a 3-piece hard top. There's a reason for that and hopefully this tinfoil hat will eventually have the answers.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata

Sgt Jmack

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler, 1998 Chevy Silverado, 2018 Toyota Corolla
What's wrong with overkill?

But I do agree. This should just be a stopgap/marketing ploy until the i6 Turbo comes along. That is what FCA needs to really be competitive - in all their trucks and full-size SUVs.
Exactly. They, we, don't need a freaking Wrangler with a 500/600 hp V8 under the hood. They are too squirrelly, too light and handle like a brick, and adding that would make them a deathtrap and endanger the occupants and those around.

It sounds great, but in reality, I don't see it being a reality. Heck, I don't even think the Gladiator would need one either.

Sgt Jmack

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That quad exhaust tho'. So another year to wait? Or they going to fast track this puppy...
You know, I had a single in, dual out muffler on my '91, I6 SHO. What's to say someone didn't simply slip a single in, dual out muffler and slap on some dual tops on those dual outlets?

Sponsored

Sgt Jmack

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't believe these particular photos are "spy photos". That is all!
I don't either. I think this is a POV, that has a single in, dual out muffler with two dual tops.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Exactly. They, we, don't need a freaking Wrangler with a 500/600 hp V8 under the hood. They are too squirrelly, too light and handle like a brick, and adding that would make them a deathtrap and endanger the occupants and those around.

It sounds great, but in reality, I don't see it being a reality. Heck, I don't even think the Gladiator would need one either.
First of all, it’s 450hp. 2nd of all, I’m pretty sure the Jeep is heavier than any of the cars they put this motor in.

TJdesersand

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Windstar
Wow, I would have never thought this would mature any more than a 1-off teaser concept! It would be cool to see it continue on to make production but I bet it'll be auto only and crazy expensive.
My guess, Unlimited 4dr only, Auto trans, Sect-Track transfer case, and just 96 ez payments!! Ha!

Sgt Jmack

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First of all, it’s 450hp. 2nd of all, I’m pretty sure the Jeep is heavier than any of the cars they put this motor in.
This is the tech info on the engine that the headline says is in this vehicle The 392 Hemi V8 is a 6.4L engine that delivers 485 horsepower with 475 lb-ft of torque. This engine achieves 0-60 mph in just over 4 seconds and is available only on the R/T Scat Pack model.

Plus, you didn't read everything I said about the Jeep Wrangler. Weight is only one part of the equation.

As for the Curb Weight of the Wrangler and the Charger, they are both within 100 lbs of one another, and the Challenger is less than 100 lbs.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
This tread offers nothing but conjecture. The only “fact” we know is that FCA has built prototype 392 wranglers and plans to bring some form of such to the market. All we can do is wait.....

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
This is the tech info on the engine that the headline says is in this vehicle The 392 Hemi V8 is a 6.4L engine that delivers 485 horsepower with 475 lb-ft of torque. This engine achieves 0-60 mph in just over 4 seconds and is available only on the R/T Scat Pack model.

Plus, you didn't read everything I said about the Jeep Wrangler. Weight is only one part of the equation.

As for the Curb Weight of the Wrangler and the Charger, they are both within 100 lbs of one another, and the Challenger is less than 100 lbs.
It won't be the tune that the cars get, but similar to the Ram 2500 tune. I drove one the other day as a loaner. It's kind of a dog.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

I did read everything you said, and it’s all BS. “500/600hp and too light.”

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

When I hear people yap about bad handling JL's I have to wonder what vehicle they are talking about? Mine is lifted, 37s, with 4.88s and is fun as hell on the trail as well as on the street.

I LOVE my 3.6 but I'd take 500/600 hp (I'd be happey with 400/500 too) and need has nothing to do with it. You could say the same thing about even owning a JL to begin with. Most just mall crawl these things so they dont need them. People want what they want, need has nothing to do with it.
Sponsored