Sponsored

Sgt Jmack

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler, 1998 Chevy Silverado, 2018 Toyota Corolla
What if they just threw a turbo (or twin) onto the Pentastar?
Maybe because the engine will not handle it? It is easier to pull off of the parts bin than redesign an engine for one trim on one model. Although they could use it on other models. But I'd rather see a redesigned I6, n/a or forced, if they are going to spend that money and time to redesign an engine.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Maybe because the engine will not handle it? It is easier to pull off of the parts bin than redesign an engine for one trim on one model. Although they could use it on other models. But I'd rather see a redesigned I6, n/a or forced, if they are going to spend that money and time to redesign an engine.
How's this for parts bin?
https://www.pentastars.com/engines/ferrari.php

Sgt Jmack

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler, 1998 Chevy Silverado, 2018 Toyota Corolla
Iā€™ll say it- the crazy horsepower means nothing to me. Itā€™s a jeep. To me (and yes- I may be isolated), it falls into the category of racing trucks. Cool idea, but more to just make stat fans happy.
It is nice to have 350, 400, 450 hp. in a vehicle, but only if it is actually useable and of course necessary. Sure, there have been CJ etc. with a factory V8, but nowhere near this hp and torque. And many guys have dropped a V8 with gobs of HP, but those are typically highly modified and specially used off road etc. This is not a FS Raptor that is purpose built and heavy enough and long enough to handle that sort of use and abuse. They should concentrate on making an I6 that will pass smog and have plenty of hp and tqs or maybe adding some forced induction to it to make it more competitive. I think this is overkill to tell you the truth.

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
By additional cooling, I'll assume that you are talking about the Intercooler that sits in front of the radiator, which does not take away from the engine bay at all.
I'm taking about what is very clearly a more crowded engine bay than another.

Kuniskis specifically spoke of air space around the engine.

Top, bottom, or otherwise, one clearly has more air space than the other.

So again, are you suggesting that whatever differentiates a 392 from the Demon is equivalent to air?

At the end of the day, nobody at Jeep has been quoted as saying that the Hemi per se cannot pass crash tests.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It is nice to have 350, 400, 450 hp. in a vehicle, but only if it is actually useable and of course necessary. Sure, there have been CJ etc. with a factory V8, but nowhere near this hp and torque. And many guys have dropped a V8 with gobs of HP, but those are typically highly modified and specially used off road etc. This is not a FS Raptor that is purpose built and heavy enough and long enough to handle that sort of use and abuse. They should concentrate on making an I6 that will pass smog and have plenty of hp and tqs or maybe adding some forced induction to it to make it more competitive. I think this is overkill to tell you the truth.
What's wrong with overkill?

But I do agree. This should just be a stopgap/marketing ploy until the i6 Turbo comes along. That is what FCA needs to really be competitive - in all their trucks and full-size SUVs.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
But I'd rather see a redesigned I6, n/a or forced, if they are going to spend that money and time to redesign an engine.
And they are, specifically because of poor results attempting to DI/FI the pentastar.

Swamp Cabbage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
A V8 Wrangler will be nice, but not a good pairing with the JLā€™s poor steering. I have a hard enough time keeping my 2019 JLUR on the road as it is. Imagine what it will be like keeping a Hemi-powered JL in the lane while going zero to 60 as fast as this thing will go. I look for the Hemi version to show up about the time the Bronco is released. Good luck, Jeep.

Sponsored

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Will the v8 cause my visors break even faster than they already do? Or cause my jeep to wander more than it already does? Nah, I'm sure the hemi fixes all of that.

Ok, ill quit my griping. I do agree with a previous post I wish they would nail down better quality control and fix things like the steering box and electronics glitches before working on hemis

FinnMalloy04

First Name
Finn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Grand Cherokee Limited
I agree, that's just my breakover point. My guess is $70k-75k, mostly to keep the pressure on Bronco. Keeping it just out of reach for most, but allowing some who will pony up to snag it somewhat easily. They've got a history for doing other stuff at a dumb price point. Before everyone went Hellcat crazy, they launched the Hellcat at $64k (source)... so.. it's possible. But I still think $70k is more likely, when you look at the clown jobs some dealers are trotting around with "upfitter packages" that are basically full of overpriced garbage.

Keep in mind- on paper, Bronco is offering a more capable variant for less out the door. If this is truly about competition, and I believe it is, Jeep will respond accordingly. Remember, the JK had a "base Rubicon" variant in the mid model refresh, and one of the guys on the Truck Show Podcast (Holman, I think) said he's under media embargo, and said all he could say is that Jeep will be offering a more capable variant/ model that will be priced competitively with the lower trim Sasquatch equipped Broncos.
Can you post the link to the podcast? I would like to see it

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
When they talk about crash testing, arenā€™t they referring
to how much space is above the motor in the event say a person is hit? So it makes to me why a 6.4 or 5.7 could be implemented.

Second thing.... Steering and 450hp.... Wonder if weā€™re finally gonna have a solution for the wandering and dead spot in the steering.
Yeah I'd definitely be able to walk off being hit by a regular Rubicon, but I'd be a goner if it had a hemi. Lol