Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
That makes sense. I’ve always had underpowered Wranglers in both my YJ and TJ and never complained. The V6 is sufficient for my needs and I’m happy for those who can bring this HEMI beast out to play.
The 3.6 and 2.0 run out of power when you start adding heavy wheels and tires, bumpers, winch, people , skids, and go over mountain passes. Low speed off roading i agree w you.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
I'll bet it's every bit of $80k. My 6cyl Rubicon was $63k as it is. Add in the cost of the Engine, the Engineering needed to make it work, the extra strengthening needed for a lot of other drivetrain parts, AND the fact that they're going to make it a "special" option/trim/package, I think it will easily add another $17k to current pricing.
It will be over 80.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
The 3.6 and 2.0 run out of power when you start adding heavy wheels and tires, bumpers, winch, people , skids, and go over mountain passes. Low speed off roading i agree w you.

Where the hell do you get your info?

My 3.6 is great with everything you listed.

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
2 Door with the 392 Please!

Sponsored

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
Might be an oddball question, but seeing the name Andy and making wheels in your description, are the same Andy that was (maybe still) on the The Alley and VCA boards back in the day? Just seems like a few similarities so I thought I'd throw it out there.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
February/March guys & gals! Confirmed.
SOURCE? PLEASE DEAR JEEP GODS AND THE GODS OF AUTOMOTIVE ENTHUSIASTS AND PERFORMANCE- LET THERE BE A GOOD SOLID SOURCE CONFIRMATION FOR THIS!

I don't remember seeing any FL plates on previous SRT prototypes but meh, could be. Still think this is an engineer's toy project or something.
Agreed. I am hopeful, but also HIGHLY skeptical. I was listening to the Truck Show Podcast last night and one of the guys let it slip that "Jeep has been paying attention and Testing this since 20018, they just held the debut back to coincide with the Bronco." I've been doing a lot of reading and research and watched the entirety of the LiteBrite Hemi Swap saga, and it makes sense. According to several of the things I read, the fuel pump, lines, etc can all support a 6.4L Hemi. Literally the only major changes that had to be made to physically fit this v8 in a factory configuration is Engine mounts and relocation of the steering pump/box. \

Can you imagine though? "So, Jim- you did a great job on that last project, so we've got a new project for you. Here is a brand new Rubicon. We want you to rip out the 3.6L and install a Hemi, and then drive it around, do some testing. Do some testing. Also- it's top secret. "

I know the AIsin can’t handle it, but they can put the one from the hellcat in there.
Or the one from the Challenger Scat Pack....which actually has the 392 as well.
I read somewhere the Tremec TR6060(I think) does not have a truck configuration and would not physically fit in the vehicle, or did not have proper gearing for a 4wd application, or maybe both. Not sure if it's legit or just hearsay. What I will say is I've been doing some serious reading and based on what I was able to find, the Aisin unit in the JL is a Aisin D478 6 speed and is supposedly rated at 500hp. That was a quick and dirty Google search so I'm still trying to get a better confirmation on that.
is true cool but can only imagine the price tag north of $80k. How about some new features or make some options standard across the line aka LED headlights, bring back optional half doors, bring out some new models or limited editions or colors.
I don't think it'll be $80k, probably closer to $70k. $80k you're pushing luxowagon territory and i really don't think that is where they want to be in the US- competing with Mercedes and BMW et al., Especially with Bronco coming in significantly less and having the Sasquatch package being offered across the Bronco line. I could have sworn they made the LED's standard across the brand but that might have just been Rubicon. I don't think we need any more "Sticker editions" but we could definitely use some better colors. If they offer a Hemi JLUR in Orange at the right price point... I could 100% be tempted to trade up.

How about options like Dana 60's, locking hubs, factory 37"'s, reinforced tailgate that can actual handle a large spare. Just to name a few.
Keep dreaming. The majority of people who would actually need these features (the off road market) are second market (used) owners- meaning the (low) margins with those expensive features would not justify production, even with a high price point that would limit your target market of buyers- meaning they would lose money. It'd be nice, but We're lucky we're getting a Hemi Jeep.

It’s the torque, not the horsepower that most of us running 37s and up are interested in.
This is correct. I can't imagine a 3.6 on 37's even with gearing. The 3.6 feels soft on the OEM 32's w/ a manual and 4.10's, especially when you're trying to pass someone or get up to speed on a busy highway with a bunch of yuppies who refuse to let you merge.

While I agree with your sentiment, it seems to be working for them right now. I'm 36 and I've wanted a Jeep like this (but in a stupid race car color and a manual trans) since I was 19 and fell in love with a Bright orange V8 powered CJ, but quickly realized how impractical that is, and how it would likely only get used off road and on the weekends. A Jeep like this Hemi JL is way more usable/ livable day to day.

in order to make sense for me, It would need to be $60k. That's the breakover point. If it was $60k out the door, I could see people going for it when you consider a current JL owner who is savvy with numbers and a very shrewd negotiator could probably fetch $20-30k on fair trade value, then you factor in a Hemi Swap is $30k (again, based on the bit of limited and cursory research I've been doing over the last week or so). Add in options and you're easily $70k. Anything more and you're pricing yourself out of the market. A lot of buyers in that range buy a Luxowagen and either trade them every 3 years, or keep them for life, only doing dealer scheduled maintenance, then just buy another. They aren't the target market for a 400hp unwieldy beast that needs to be constantly fussed with and rides like a very well mannered dump truck.

That said: if you're DIY swapping your JL, you might be able to get away with it far cheaper. There will be a ton of legwork involved, and your issue may be sourcing a similar mileage powerplant (Most of the ones I saw on eBay in a 5 minute search were 30k mi+.. not enticing for a Jeep with 10k mi). I know the kit from America's Most Wanted 4x4 is around $35k, the one from Dakota Customs is $15k and does not include an engine or transmission. Assuming you're able to source an engine ($8k on ebay) and transmission ($3-6k depending on Auto vs. Manual and different models) as well as PCM from a Donor, you're doing all the work yourself (buying the engine mount kit and the exhaust, pre-made wiring harnesses, etc) you're looking at $10-15k and however long it's going to be down to complete the work. I'm especially interested to see the drivetrain this comes with from the factory and how well it lives behind that v8- they're absolutely going to have to do some idiot proofing, but depending on how it all fits together, I could see there being very few changes- meaning potentially even less cost to a DIY swap- and if it's all factory parts, they could eventually be sourced from places like Rock Auto, or (worst comes to worst) the parts counter at your dealer. I've been bench building since I saw the reveal and so these are all quick math numbers based on the sources listed farther up in the post.

That said: I'm still excited. I'm considering it, but leaning harder toward the DIY Route several years down the road. Mostly because I don't think they'll offer a manual, I'm not a fan of the AWD case, and mine is orange (I really like the bright colors- I am a child, I know). I don't really care about warranties as I got the 3/36 and that's proven a hassle with the W12 Clutch recall, so when that's over, and my Jeep ticks over 50k mi? Game on. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Might be an oddball question, but seeing the name Andy and making wheels in your description, are the same Andy that was (maybe still) on the The Alley and VCA boards back in the day? Just seems like a few similarities so I thought I'd throw it out there.

I don't know those boards so I'm guessing it isn't me.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
$65k to $70k still wouldn't be awful with a couple check boxes... that's a a solid $20k away from zero option trackhawk.

I would likely end up with $10k in options on whatever I buy so .. that means $75-$80k optioned out. Doable and would still keep demand soft.
They dont want to sell that many. It will be at a price point out of reach for most.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
SOURCE? PLEASE DEAR JEEP GODS AND THE GODS OF AUTOMOTIVE ENTHUSIASTS AND PERFORMANCE- LET THERE BE A GOOD SOLID SOURCE CONFIRMATION FOR THIS!

Agreed. I am hopeful, but also HIGHLY skeptical. I was listening to the Truck Show Podcast last night and one of the guys let it slip that "Jeep has been paying attention and Testing this since 20018, they just held the debut back to coincide with the Bronco." I've been doing a lot of reading and research and watched the entirety of the LiteBrite Hemi Swap saga, and it makes sense. According to several of the things I read, the fuel pump, lines, etc can all support a 6.4L Hemi. Literally the only major changes that had to be made to physically fit this v8 in a factory configuration is Engine mounts and relocation of the steering pump/box. \

Can you imagine though? "So, Jim- you did a great job on that last project, so we've got a new project for you. Here is a brand new Rubicon. We want you to rip out the 3.6L and install a Hemi, and then drive it around, do some testing. Do some testing. Also- it's top secret. "

I read somewhere the Tremec TR6060(I think) does not have a truck configuration and would not physically fit in the vehicle, or did not have proper gearing for a 4wd application, or maybe both. Not sure if it's legit or just hearsay. What I will say is I've been doing some serious reading and based on what I was able to find, the Aisin unit in the JL is a Aisin D478 6 speed and is supposedly rated at 500hp. That was a quick and dirty Google search so I'm still trying to get a better confirmation on that.

I don't think it'll be $80k, probably closer to $70k. $80k you're pushing luxowagon territory and i really don't think that is where they want to be in the US- competing with Mercedes and BMW et al., Especially with Bronco coming in significantly less and having the Sasquatch package being offered across the Bronco line. I could have sworn they made the LED's standard across the brand but that might have just been Rubicon. I don't think we need any more "Sticker editions" but we could definitely use some better colors. If they offer a Hemi JLUR in Orange at the right price point... I could 100% be tempted to trade up.

Keep dreaming. The majority of people who would actually need these features (the off road market) are second market (used) owners- meaning the (low) margins with those expensive features would not justify production, even with a high price point that would limit your target market of buyers- meaning they would lose money. It'd be nice, but We're lucky we're getting a Hemi Jeep.

This is correct. I can't imagine a 3.6 on 37's even with gearing. The 3.6 feels soft on the OEM 32's w/ a manual and 4.10's, especially when you're trying to pass someone or get up to speed on a busy highway with a bunch of yuppies who refuse to let you merge.

While I agree with your sentiment, it seems to be working for them right now. I'm 36 and I've wanted a Jeep like this (but in a stupid race car color and a manual trans) since I was 19 and fell in love with a Bright orange V8 powered CJ, but quickly realized how impractical that is, and how it would likely only get used off road and on the weekends. A Jeep like this Hemi JL is way more usable/ livable day to day.

in order to make sense for me, It would need to be $60k. That's the breakover point. If it was $60k out the door, I could see people going for it when you consider a current JL owner who is savvy with numbers and a very shrewd negotiator could probably fetch $20-30k on fair trade value, then you factor in a Hemi Swap is $30k (again, based on the bit of limited and cursory research I've been doing over the last week or so). Add in options and you're easily $70k. Anything more and you're pricing yourself out of the market. A lot of buyers in that range buy a Luxowagen and either trade them every 3 years, or keep them for life, only doing dealer scheduled maintenance, then just buy another. They aren't the target market for a 400hp unwieldy beast that needs to be constantly fussed with and rides like a very well mannered dump truck.

That said: if you're DIY swapping your JL, you might be able to get away with it far cheaper. There will be a ton of legwork involved, and your issue may be sourcing a similar mileage powerplant (Most of the ones I saw on eBay in a 5 minute search were 30k mi+.. not enticing for a Jeep with 10k mi). I know the kit from America's Most Wanted 4x4 is around $35k, the one from Dakota Customs is $15k and does not include an engine or transmission. Assuming you're able to source an engine ($8k on ebay) and transmission ($3-6k depending on Auto vs. Manual and different models) as well as PCM from a Donor, you're doing all the work yourself (buying the engine mount kit and the exhaust, pre-made wiring harnesses, etc) you're looking at $10-15k and however long it's going to be down to complete the work. I'm especially interested to see the drivetrain this comes with from the factory and how well it lives behind that v8- they're absolutely going to have to do some idiot proofing, but depending on how it all fits together, I could see there being very few changes- meaning potentially even less cost to a DIY swap- and if it's all factory parts, they could eventually be sourced from places like Rock Auto, or (worst comes to worst) the parts counter at your dealer. I've been bench building since I saw the reveal and so these are all quick math numbers based on the sources listed farther up in the post.

That said: I'm still excited. I'm considering it, but leaning harder toward the DIY Route several years down the road. Mostly because I don't think they'll offer a manual, I'm not a fan of the AWD case, and mine is orange (I really like the bright colors- I am a child, I know). I don't really care about warranties as I got the 3/36 and that's proven a hassle with the W12 Clutch recall, so when that's over, and my Jeep ticks over 50k mi? Game on. We'll see what happens.
No way in a million years will it be 60k.
Sponsored