Spiderwebshade / Alien shade tops: I have some questions

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
Bestop has a couple shades which they call their Sun Bikinis. They are currently available with mesh fabric, but will soon be available in a solid black fabric. They have magnets along the front edge for easy access to soft top or freedom panel latches.

https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2020/wrangler-jl/standard-targa-sun-bikini/

https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2020/wrangler-jl/extended-safari-sun-bikini/

I just ordered the targa style earlier today.
Once you have it on let us know, I have heard the Bestop Bikini Top is very loud and flaps at highway speeds.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Once you have it on let us know, I have heard the Bestop Bikini Top is very loud and flaps at highway speeds.
I returned it for a refund. It does not work with a Sunrider for Hardtop.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I returned it for a refund. It does not work with a Sunrider for Hardtop.
Im on my third Spiderweb shade (3 different jeeps) and there is no way I would change brands. The one on my 2013 still looks and functions like new.

JLsport19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
spiderweb all the way. wouldnt trade it and would do it again if i had to

Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Only had my Spiderwebshade for a couple of days so far but couldn’t be happier with it.

Installation was easy and everything looks to be made from high quality materials.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spiderwebshade / Alien shade tops: I have some questions 3517058F-9601-4313-B4D1-2274085E18BF

Jeep Wrangler JL Spiderwebshade / Alien shade tops: I have some questions 216778EE-6861-4243-8712-1B4784C5C8B2

Jeep Wrangler JL Spiderwebshade / Alien shade tops: I have some questions 67110651-23E1-4F57-A8CD-9B30790BCC9B

Jeep Wrangler JL Spiderwebshade / Alien shade tops: I have some questions 8001FB50-FA1D-41FA-B7A0-4B77D041C82D

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Only had my Spiderwebshade for a couple of days so far but couldn’t be happier with it.

Installation was easy and everything looks to be made from high quality materials.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spiderwebshade / Alien shade tops: I have some questions 8001FB50-FA1D-41FA-B7A0-4B77D041C82D

Wow that's what colored ones look like I couldn't handle that all day long looking through that red like that I'm glad I have a two piece black where you don't really see the black as much pretty on the outside but I don't want to see that from the inside like that but that's just my opinion they make all colors for everyone

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Wow that's what colored ones look like I couldn't handle that all day long looking through that red like that I'm glad I have a two piece black where you don't really see the black as much pretty on the outside but I don't want to see that from the inside like that but that's just my opinion they make all colors for everyone
LOL it really doesn’t project that much red into the interior, but yep that’s why they have options for everyone. ;)

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Just joined the shade club. My wife bought it for me.... ain't she great. :like:
I just put it on so no review on how it is on the road, but it looks real nice. It's snug and doesn't sag. Much better than the cheap one I bought last year and ended up returning. I guess some times you do get what you pay for.
Anyway, she got me blue to match the accents I have already (tow hooks, and brake calipers). I decided since Rubicons typically use red, I'd go with blue for the Sahara.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spiderwebshade / Alien shade tops: I have some questions Spiderwebshade (1) resize

Jeep Wrangler JL Spiderwebshade / Alien shade tops: I have some questions Spiderwebshade (2) resize

Alien Sunshade is out of business. They've fallen off the planet since Jan. 1st. ....
They jumped back in their UFO and found a new planet when 2020 started to avoid the dumpster fire this year has turned into.

...... I have yet to find a shade that works with the Sunrider for Hardtop.
Spiderweb works with mine. There is a small gap at the front, and the straps have enough elasticity to allow you to stretch it back to operate the latches. It's not the easiest configuration, but if you leave a big gap sun will come through it.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Oh and a note about install. The instructions tell you to fold the windshield forward, but you don't have to. I didn't want to take the wipers off, so I just folded them forward, took the screws out of the windshield and tilted it forward a few inches. I could easily secure the hooks. Easy as pie, it's only 4 screws.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Oh and a note about install. The instructions tell you to fold the windshield forward, but you don't have to. I didn't want to take the wipers off, so I just folded them forward, took the screws out of the windshield and tilted it forward a few inches. I could easily secure the hooks. Easy as pie, it's only 4 screws.
Is yours the one-piece or two-piece I can't tell in the pictures also the way those hooks hook on the front of the windshield or down in there is the same as the cheap version the alien sunshade that I have right now and it came the little plastic tool that allows you to slide it in there and then hook it on I'm thinking I won't have to take the windshield screws out and Lita Ford if I use that same plastic hook piece that I did that comes with alien shade because it allows you to push down and then hook it on there I don't want the one piece the way comes over the soundbar I don't like that look but then after seeing pictures of how the two piece still comes over the soundbar some I don't know what I'm going to do.the only thing I like about the alien sunshade is I do pieces are individually and don't come over to soundbar at all the spider web in the back came over half the soundbar and it didn't look right to me but that's my opinion I guess I'll keep what I got till it breaks. This is to photos that someone was nice enough to send me of their two piece hope I don't mind me using them I just did like the way it looks how comes over the soundbar a little bit they leaned two-piece fits in and butts up against the soundbar but doesn't go over it because they use the bungee cords they also use bungee cords here on their two-piece spider web but I wish you would have just gone over the sound bar in the middle instead of having to do it like this it comes too far over the soundbar for me but everyone has their own opinion on what they like

received_566955287584235.jpeg

received_246323983307985.jpeg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I just have the front, but yeah the two back corners angle across the edge of the soundbar like the photo you have there.
If you have the tool and take the effort to snap the front hooks in without leaning the windshield forward, you could probably do it. That just seems like more work to me. I didn't want to hassle with trying to fish the hooks into the right spot, and then try to seat them, when I could just remove the screws and hook them in easily. You could probably do it the Alien way, but it seemed like more work to not tilt the windshield. It's only 4 screws and Jeep gives you the tool to do it. Takes 2 minutes tops (30 seconds per screw) because you already have the tool out for the "nubs" or whatever they call the fasteners.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same fear and went with gray.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spiderwebshade / Alien shade tops: I have some questions 20200531_095601
Jeep Wrangler JL Spiderwebshade / Alien shade tops: I have some questions 20200531_095539

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Just joined the shade club. My wife bought it for me.... ain't she great. :like:
I just put it on so no review on how it is on the road, but it looks real nice. It's snug and doesn't sag. Much better than the cheap one I bought last year and ended up returning. I guess some times you do get what you pay for.
Anyway, she got me blue to match the accents I have already (tow hooks, and brake calipers). I decided since Rubicons typically use red, I'd go with blue for the Sahara.

Spiderwebshade (1) resize.jpg

Spiderwebshade (2) resize.jpg

They jumped back in their UFO and found a new planet when 2020 started to avoid the dumpster fire this year has turned into.

Spiderweb works with mine. There is a small gap at the front, and the straps have enough elasticity to allow you to stretch it back to operate the latches. It's not the easiest configuration, but if you leave a big gap sun will come through it.
Iam surprised you put on
I just have the front, but yeah the two back corners angle across the edge of the soundbar like the photo you have there.
If you have the tool and take the effort to snap the front hooks in without leaning the windshield forward, you could probably do it. That just seems like more work to me. I didn't want to hassle with trying to fish the hooks into the right spot, and then try to seat them, when I could just remove the screws and hook them in easily. You could probably do it the Alien way, but it seemed like more work to not tilt the windshield. It's only 4 screws and Jeep gives you the tool to do it. Takes 2 minutes tops (30 seconds per screw) because you already have the tool out for the "nubs" or whatever they call the fasteners.
So you must have had the Alien shade if you know about that flat plastic piece they give you

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
No I haven't had the Alien shade but I was looking at them last year. I looked at Alien, Spiderweb, Bestop and a few off brands. I saw the install tool in an installation video.

I tried a Rugged Ridge shade that had holes for the Freedom Panel latches, but it wasn't very tight. I ended up returning it and running without a shade in the hopes that Bestop would finally release the retractable shade. Now that I've got a Sunrider I only need to access the front latches and the Spiderweb allows me to do it. It also looks like Bestop isn't going to make the retractable shade for the JL so my wife surprised me with this.
Sponsored