Sponsored

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Q1 for pricing ordering and on-sale
It sucks that they're being held up that long, but hopefully it is because they're working out teething issues. I'll probably buy a 6 speed and wait and see on the 4XE, then trade in for one once they're released for 6-12 months. Hell, might keep both. Manual transmissions are extremely rare these days and I'm not sure they'll be produced much longer.
Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
They are barely selling the 2 door compared to the 4 door, and their new 4xe wont even come with 2 doors. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next generation the 2 door is gone. half doors? well....
Do you have a data source for the 2-door vs 4-door numbers? I've heard they sell more Unlimiteds than 2-doors, but my anecdotal data was that dealers didn't seem to have a problem selling the 2-doors they had, and there were more Unlimited sitting. That of course is influenced by what they ordered, but not sure I believe the 2-door is "barely selling."

If they discontinue the 2-door then the icon will be dead and Ford will get a chunk of new customers. There are a certain percentage of buyers who would not buy an Unlimited, full stop. If that number is worth it to FCA is another discussion.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Do you have a data source for the 2-door vs 4-door numbers? I've heard they sell more Unlimiteds than 2-doors, but my anecdotal data was that dealers didn't seem to have a problem selling the 2-doors they had, and there were more Unlimited sitting. That of course is influenced by what they ordered, but not sure I believe the 2-door is "barely selling."

If they discontinue the 2-door then the icon will be dead and Ford will get a chunk of new customers. There are a certain percentage of buyers who would not buy an Unlimited, full stop. If that number is worth it to FCA is another discussion.
The data is unfortunately difficult to find. For some reason Jeep doesn't like sharing those numbers. On the last years of the JK only 25%~33% of sales were 2 doors.

https://www.allpar.com/cars/production/wrangler.html

And that trend was increasing in favor of the 4 door. It makes sense, the vast majority of buyers in the Wrangler market are buying a SUV, not a sports vehicle to take off-roading. The 2 door isn't cheap at all, and it is very impractical when compared to other SUVs. There are dealers here in LA that don't even carry 2 door JLs. Sure it might not be hard for dealers to sell 2 doors, but they don't carry as many.

The new 4xe and diesel being only available for the 4 door shows how Jeep might be slowly pulling out of the 2 door.

Now the 2 door Bronco looks a lot less impractical than the 2 door JL. It actually has pretty decent cargo space and towing capacity, and it could actually compete with most small to medium sized SUVs in the market. It also has a longer wheelbase though which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending how you look at it.

Jeep might keep the 2 door, they might pull it to put all their efforts into the 4 door, or they might make it more practical like the 2 door bronco. It is all speculation. But the 4 door is vastly a more popular option, and that I could argue is a hard fact. Pulling the 2 door, why would that kill the icon? when people see a 4 door wrangler, they see a Jeep. The CJ was very different than next generation jeeps. They didn't kill the icon. Hardtops didn't kill the icon, full size doors didn't, more storage didn't, wider wheelbase didn't, etc.. why would an extra set of doors do it? in fact, it made it far more popular and actually saved the model.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TXRubicon

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
It's just this year really did a number on ALL manufacturing. I don't think its necessarily teething issues but think about the amount of productivity lost for 2-3 months that they are having to make up for in just a few. If they are only off 1-2 months from their original target, that a sign of strength and determination to me.

It sucks that they're being held up that long, but hopefully it is because they're working out teething issues. I'll probably buy a 6 speed and wait and see on the 4XE, then trade in for one once they're released for 6-12 months. Hell, might keep both. Manual transmissions are extremely rare these days and I'm not sure they'll be produced much longer.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
. Pulling the 2 door, why would that kill the icon? when people see a 4 door wrangler, they see a Jeep. The CJ was very different than next generation jeeps. They didn't kill the icon. Hardtops didn't kill the icon, full size doors didn't, more storage didn't, wider wheelbase didn't, etc.. why would an extra set of doors do it? in fact, it made it far more popular and actually saved the model.
the canonical “Jeep” is 2 doors. Instantly recognizable in profile. fwiw when my wife sees an Unlimited, she doesn’t see a Jeep. I see one only because I’m into vehicles and know the backstory.

I get why people buy the Unlimited, but the history of the Wranlger is firmly 2-doors (be they half or full) and the ability to go topless. I can say an Unlimited will never be in the driveway of our house. My wife hates the 4-door :)

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
the canonical “Jeep” is 2 doors. Instantly recognizable in profile. fwiw when my wife sees an Unlimited, she doesn’t see a Jeep. I see one only because I’m into vehicles and know the backstory.

I get why people buy the Unlimited, but the history of the Wranlger is firmly 2-doors (be they half or full) and the ability to go topless. I can say an Unlimited will never be in the driveway of our house. My wife hates the 4-door :)Jim
Yeah I get you. same with me and wife. We are determined to keep the 2 door and to me the 4 door looks like a school bus. But I am just being realistic and thinking outside my fanatic mindset. Perception is relative.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
If you have any specific questions about anything you see here, let me know....
Thanks for posting TXRubicon. I'm full of questions on the 4xe & hope you may have other images or recollection which could help proved some answers.

Do you recall if the 4xe's interior battery status indicator lights run through the change tray on the rop of the dash? This could cause issues mounting a phone mount in that location.

The 4xe wheels are unique to that option; were they the standard 7.5 inch width?

Did the rear seat backs fold down flat?

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Yeah I get you. same with me and wife. We are determined to keep the 2 door and to me the 4 door looks like a school bus. But I am just being realistic and thinking outside my fanatic mindset. Perception is relative.
And reality is perception. I think there are enough fanatics beyond you and me to keep the 2-door as a viable model for FCA. They could even leave it "retro" as they make the JM (assuming M comes after L) - the Unlimited gets all the updates, the 2-door is more bare bones.

Who knows. My magic 8-ball probably has the same amount of logic as some of their product managers...

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
That's some wishful thinking (though I wish I could share your optimism). It took Jeep three years to straighten out the wandering steering issue.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
We also have a fair amount of people who need a dictionary (I know I have to use one a lot, lol).
So far, you're the only one that occasionally causes me to open another page to reference Webster. Lol

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Dumbest. Analogy. Ever.

Yeah, the vast, overwhelming majority of Wranglers are decidedly less capable offroad than buggies. ;) But don't let me interrupt your chugging of that sem...er, I mean kool-aid. :CWL:
I'm still drying the tears of laughter from reading this! :CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL:

:like::clap:

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
half doors were standard on all Wranglers up until 2007 with the launch of the JK. And available on the JK Sport and Rubicon as N/C door option. If you have never owned an older YJ, TJ with half doors that's ok, for us who have and still do they are quintessential Jeep. Unzipping windows may not be your thing. But nothing lost by FCA to offer them like they did on the JK as a N/C option when ordering or in the accessories catalog.

As for R&D time and money developing them.....please how much R&D time and money was thrown at the fold down windshield???? Is it cool I guess but I seriously doubt 1% of JL owners have ever did it let alone took a drive with it down unless you love catching stones and bugs in your face.

Offer it and for those who want them they will get them, other than that to each their own,

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
That's some wishful thinking (though I wish I could share your optimism). It took Jeep three years to straighten out the wandering steering issue.
***speculation***
I am pretty sure Jeep knew the solution to the steering issue, being on a lawsuit would have push them to install the new steering box in all 2018 and part of 2019 models sold, which I assume would have been cost prohibitive. It was much cheaper and easier to put a steering damper and wait it out until the 2021 model to slide the new steering box in.

The engineers working for Jeep can figure out a problem like that in days. And there was a lot of talk, back in 2018 about the steering box, word was out.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
So far, you're the only one that occasionally causes me to open another page to reference Webster. Lol
Webster’s he don’t mind but better not make him sniff your Funk & Wagnalls.
Sponsored