Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I'm not going to quote off the record comments, but there's enough there to make my gut say it's not going to happen. I could be wrong of course, but that's my gut feeling.
Good on ya TXRubicon. Having lived in various online forums for several decades now I’ve come to the conclusion that seeding internet scuttlebutt with hearsay actually diminishes the quality of a public forum like this.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've never seen the allure of looking through an inevitably scratched up soft window.

And I can't help to chuckle a bit, whenever I read a comment about the window frame robbing from the open experience. To each their own. Just not my cup of tea.
They take a good long time to scratch up so badly that it becomes a problem. I had mine on my YJ for 10 years and they were still pretty good. There is a product called Plexus, IIRC, that really helps with this. You have to know what not to do, though. NEVER scrape them or even wipe them when they have frost on them. The defroster takes care of them VERY quickly as the plastic conducts heat better than glass. It was my daily driver most of that time. Never bothered me. I didn´t have AC in that little Jeep, either, until I moved to Houston. Then it was a must. But when I moved back to Indiana, I quit using it. I miss that old Jeep!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Good on ya TXRubicon. Having lived in various online forums for several decades now I’ve come to the conclusion that seeding internet scuttlebutt with hearsay actually diminishes the quality of a public forum like this.
So let me get this straight.....nobody should guess or share their gut feelings about things? Didn´t look like he misrepresented anything as fact.

IMHO, a forum is a collection of open conversations, sort of like hanging around at a bar. Sometimes someone takes a wild guess and turns out right or wrong. Who cares?

If a forum were such an uptight place, it wouldn´t be any fun, in my estimation. (See what I did there? ;)

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
to be a realist I do not think they will make the 392. Reason is because many of us daily our Jeeps (myself included). Having half doors as the only option in something you daily is simply difficult esp in the Winter. Wonder if they may offer full doors as an upcharge?

Second reason is the pandemic. It seems that even after its all over in some months, many of Jeep’s clientele may not have disposable income to afford the 392. I also don’t know of any millionaires or billionaires who buy Wranglers. They all prefer their shiny G-Wagens.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
to be a realist I do not think they will make the 392. Reason is because many of us daily our Jeeps (myself included). Having half doors as the only option in something you daily is simply difficult esp in the Winter. Wonder if they may offer full doors as an upcharge?

Second reason is the pandemic. It seems that even after its all over in some months, many of Jeep’s clientele may not have disposable income to afford the 392. I also don’t know of any millionaires or billionaires who buy Wranglers. They all prefer their shiny G-Wagens.
Well it’s completely silly to think the Hemi will only be offered with half doors.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Well it’s completely silly to think the Hemi will only be offered with half doors.
I hope not, but FCA has never ceased to amaze me......

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
Would not touch for a few years.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I absolutely love the sound of the 392....I hope they don’t build it....for the sake of my marriage. OP - thx for sharing.

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I've never seen the allure of looking through an inevitably scratched up soft window.

And I can't help to chuckle a bit, whenever I read a comment about the window frame robbing from the open experience. To each their own. Just not my cup of tea.
I’m with you on the plastic windows. On my old TJ, I had the soft top/hard doors option just to avoid them.

However regarding the window frame, I think what some folks miss is that it’s not really the thin upper frame, but rather the lower belt line that changes the overall “feel”. Kinda like wearing your favorite 80’s half shirt versus a full length tee. :LOL:

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
In all honesty though, factory half doors are like the holy grail for some folks. A buddy of mine just flew one-way from CA to TX, rented a minivan, and drove home a full set of used JK half doors he bought on eBay. He then paint matched them and bought all the parts to make the power locks/mirrors functional and matched to his existing doors. Yeah, he’s retired. Lol...

I’m sure Jeep would sell a bunch if they ever bring them to market. I’d go so far as to say that they’d probably sell more half doors than they’d sell Hemis. :lipssealed:

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Yeah, I've gone doorless on a lot of vehicles....

To me, just put 'em on or take 'em off. Rolling down the window does the exact same thing as the half door, minus the tiny frame.
It's more important for people who daily drive their Wranglers and in all kinds of weather (when combined with a soft upper). Rolling the window down doesn't open up as much. Half doors look "finished" compared to going doorless... doorless on public roads is like wearing only speedos on a 2 hour bus ride to a water park. Logical but creepy.

I run Lexan panels on my buggies....but really only to protect the powdercoat and keep from gouging the tubes. I actually prefer them without the panels as it's cooler and lets significantly more air through the passenger area.
And some people streak. Neither they or buggies, or go carts or tricycles can be compared to a Wrangler.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
The 392 Concept? Well, it remains a concept. As the PR answer goes, "We can't comment on future product" and that they are gauging customer interest. Maybe they'll build it, maybe they won't. My gut is on the latter based on what wasn't said and other cues. Who knows. It was still fun to have the keys thrown to me and told to rev the hell out of it. Half-doors are cool though huh? When I asked when we'd be able to buy them, everyone just kept laughing at me with the occasional "Soon, maybe". Take that for what it's worth.
1f642.png

If you have any specific questions about anything you see here, let me know.
Yes I have a question... how did you resist punching them?

What a bunch of Corporate Unhelpful Negligent... what's a plural word starting with T? Can anyone help?