Speedometer is wrong and tailgate....

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just noticed today my speedometer needle is off by at least ten mph. The digital is correct. When I power off the Jeep it drops to 10 instead of 0. Anyone seen this before? No mods 100% stock 2021 rubicon, 4000 miles.

Second question. My tailgate is sticking - have to pull the handle twice to get it to open. is it out of adjustment?

Thanks!

20210425_181440.jpg
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Just noticed today my speedometer needle is off by at least ten mph. The digital is correct. When I power off the Jeep it drops to 10 instead of 0. Anyone seen this before? No mods 100% stock 2021 rubicon, 4000 miles.

Second question. My tailgate is sticking - have to pull the handle twice to get it to open. is it out of adjustment?

Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Speedometer is wrong and tailgate.... 20210425_181440
Take it in and have them calibrate the speedo.

The tailgate likely needs some adjustment, as well.

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take it in and have them calibrate the speedo.

The tailgate likely needs some adjustment, as well.
It magically started working again. That was weird!

Gonna try to get the tailgate adjusted this week or next.

Kim2021Rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR, 2018 JKUR, 2021 JLUR ON ORDER

Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Speedometer is wrong and tailgate.... 20210425_181440
This is exactly what mine is doing today.

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
mine gets weird when my iPhone is linked through CarPlay.

theMANIMAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Regarding your tailgate sticking, check the bottom of the tailgate itself. There’s an indent where it catches and rides on the black piece that’s on the driver side of the tub. My tailgate HAD two pieces of tape on it, but then I noticed it too was sticking. Upon closer inspection, the “bottom” tape strip had fallen off and the adhesive was left behind and sticking to the black alignment piece on the tub. Once I cleaned the adhesive and tested opening the door, the sticking seems to have been resolved.

I realize this is probably confusing, so I ran outside and snagged some pictures, but it’s 11pm so the lighting isn’t that great. The neighbors probably think I’m a nutter; I take pictures of my Jeep during the day, but apparently at night now too?! Haha.

First picture is of the tailgate indent from far away for orientation purposes. Second is my attempt to show you the tape strip that is still stuck on on top. Third shows the missing strip on the bottom.

My buddy has some tape that he bought from Home Depot by recommendation from someone here on this forum to alleviate the squeaking/rubbing noise that originates from the top of the tailgate where it meets the glass. I might try cutting a piece of that for my tailgate indent and see if it restores the smooth opening. Although the sticking was resolved by removing the leftover adhesive, I feel like there might be some remaining friction from the missing tape. Or maybe I’m imagining it since I know something is missing 🤷‍♂️

C98DF937-F5BD-4EAB-A164-3D12C3C71B1D.jpeg

69AC161A-54A0-43B1-9360-4F059DE69B34.jpeg

924E6856-87C5-4B0E-A151-787012DCC33E.jpeg

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! It did stop sticking as much. I didn't think to check this - I'll have to take a look. I love the Quality and Pride sticker next to the bubbling paint.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The paint isn’t bublling. They just don’t finish the back side of the magnesium tailgate very well. They all look rough on the back. Now that’s quality and pride.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The paint isn’t bublling. They just don’t finish the back side of the magnesium tailgate very well. They all look rough on the back. Now that’s quality and pride.
Hard to tell from the picture, but it's still funny ;) I'm going to check mine shortly.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
My Jeep doesn’t have that sticker on the tailgate. They must not have cared as much when they built mine.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thomas, if you have the keyless entry your tailgate may not be sticking. Mine has the keyless entry, and I've found that if I grab the handle and pull it to quickly the entry system doesn't have time to kick in. I still do it at times, but when I take a second before I pull all is well. Just a thought.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
My Jeep doesn’t have that sticker on the tailgate. They must not have cared as much when they built mine.
Yeah. Mine wasnt made with "quality and pride" either. Oh well.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
They don't finish it at all. It is cast magnesium, painted. The stippled look is natural.
Sponsored