Speedo change going from 33s to 37s?

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So I went to 37s (and I have a Mopar 2" lift) and I know what I am about to say is not perfect, but...

There is a speed reader on a street near me (one of the large rolling temporary trailer ones) and I have driven by it several times now. My rough read is that my speedo is "off" by 2 MPHs...i.e. when I am going 20 it reads 22 and when I am going 25 it appears to read 27. I recognize (1) I am looking at my speedo and then looking up and (2) maybe the reader is wrong....but...

Is this normal, to "only" be off by 2ish MPHs? Because I am thinking to myself for this "small" difference why recalibrate either at the dealer or with a programmer - it seems very minor.
Sponsored

gijohn56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
at 20 miles and hour you are off by 2mph but as you go faster that gap increases so that at 70 you might be doing 77-79 mph.... buy a cheap garmin gps from a pawn shop and you can see the difference. There is an app called Jscan that you buy for $5 and a obd2 reader off amazon. then you purchase the $20 right to list your VIN and it allows you to change the calibration and a whole lot of other things as well. so for $50 you can buy a great programmer that works and does other things as well.

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
you purchase the $20 right to list your VIN
you buy this from who?

also...why do people buy tazer or aev for 3-5x this price vs jscan? thx!

also...why not just get a speedo app too? seems there are plenty on app store.

gijohn56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
the app goes on your phone so either iphone store or the android store. once you get into the app it gives you the method to pay for the vin

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
the app goes on your phone so either iphone store or the android store. once you get into the app it gives you the method to pay for the vin
Thx!

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So I went to 37s (and I have a Mopar 2" lift) and I know what I am about to say is not perfect, but...

There is a speed reader on a street near me (one of the large rolling temporary trailer ones) and I have driven by it several times now. My rough read is that my speedo is "off" by 2 MPHs...i.e. when I am going 20 it reads 22 and when I am going 25 it appears to read 27. I recognize (1) I am looking at my speedo and then looking up and (2) maybe the reader is wrong....but...

Is this normal, to "only" be off by 2ish MPHs? Because I am thinking to myself for this "small" difference why recalibrate either at the dealer or with a programmer - it seems very minor.
At 20mph you are off by 2, so at 70mph you will be off around 7-8.

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
If you have an Android phone you can download DigiHUD off the web and put it on your phone. It'll always show how fast you're going, It's pinged off satellites.

Hunter

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
If you have an Android phone you can download DigiHUD off the web and put it on your phone. It'll always show how fast you're going, It's pinged off satellites.

Hunter
Waze app also shows your speed

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
also...why do people buy tazer or aev for 3-5x this price vs jscan? thx!
Great question! This must be a personal preference. Unless people are unaware of jscan.

However, jscan does not have a ESS bypass so that could be a reason to spend 3x - 5x the $$

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
When you change tire sizes, your speedometer will be off by the corresponding percentage. For example, going from 33's to 37's is four inches, but is a 12% difference in tire size.

Now, I don't know of any tire which measures it's true sidewall or advertised size. A lot of 37's true diameters are listed as 36.5" to 36.8". A stock BFG KO2 in 285/70R17 has a diameter listed as 32.8".

Since I don't know the tire you're running, I'll make an assumption. A Nitto Ridge Grappler's diameter is listed as 36.77". The difference between the stock KO2 and Nitto is 3.97", or 12%.

So regardless of speed, you speedometer will be off (slower) by 12%.

If you don't want to buy a programmer, just estimate your speed as 10% higher (used 10% since that's easier to calculate on the fly vs 12%) than what the speedo shows and you should be close enough to your true speed.
Sponsored